wallpapering around windows and doors...

uppitycats

OK, so what do YOU do..

wallpaper over the window or door openings, and cut them in when the paper is dry...

or cut out the openings before papering?

I'm working on the Tenneyson right now. It has two rooms that have those lovely-but-pain-in-the-behind bay windows to paper....and this is a rehab, so I'm not able to paper first, then build the bays like I did for my Garfield...

so..what do you do???

I am working on the Willow and I am papering over the window and door openings and then cutting the paper away after it dries. My problem is that on the upper interior windows about 1/4 inch of wall space represents the inside of the upper window casing. So I have to cut the wall paper away from that area. Difficult to do. T Ritahe next sheet that is going up is going to be lightly tacked in place, the 4 corners of the windows marked with a small punctures and then I can measure the space to be cut away, cut away the extra and then put the paper in place.

Ann, I rehabbed the Beacon Hill so I know where you're coming from! My first choice would have been to paper and then cut out the windows, but it didn't happen that way. I made templates out of scrap paper, layed them over my wallpaper and cut it out . . . then glued the wallpaper in place. Worked well for me.

Whatever method you use, I hope it works out!! Good luck!

I haven't had to paper over the window/ door trims, they HAD to come off!

Oh..sorry .. that wasn't clear. The door and window trims are long gone. New ones have been crafted, waiting to install. I'm talking about the bare openings themselves. I didn't completely dismantle the Tennyson -- the first and second floors are intact. I did remove all the trim (and the cracked window "glass), sanded everything, squared up the openings, etc... it's just that with the bays in place, cutting the paper first would require very careful and awkward meauring -- do-able, but not easy. But then putting in the paper over the openings isn't all that easy, either!

Once I have the paper in place and the openings cut out, then I'll install the new trim -- all nicely meaured, stained, varnished, and ready to go. :)

I apply the papper, matching the patterns at the edges, and let it dry thoroughly and then use a SHARP knifeblade to cut out the holes, then I go back and cut away about 1/8" around the opening so no paper shows when the trims go back on. It's what I did with the Laurel rehab.

I usually cut the openings out after it's affixed. In my Tennyson rehab, I had to use strips in between the bay windows, in the LR, then do a top and bottom peice over the ends, 'cause I couldn't get the trim off. It was a pain, but it worked. I painted the room with the bay, on the second floor.