100% New

So, yea. LOL I am completely new to this whole thing. I got suckered into liking some dolls, and from them found out about Re-Ment Miniatures. Well, I never got any dolls, but I did get a few sets of Rement. At the same time, I saw people making rooms/houses for their dolls, and really really wanted to do the same.

Well, it wasn't till yesterday (a year later) that I put two and two together and thought about just... making a dollhouse. I've been looking at Minis and stuff for that entire time, but was apparently slow on the uptake :)

I'm 27, a (for now) stay-at-home-mother of one- he's three, and a handful. I adore him though. I don't get out much- between anxiety/depression issues, and chronic pain & fatigue issues, it's just enough to keep up on the day to do stuff for me. I don't have any dollhouses, and the only miniatures I have at the moment are Rement, and maybe some toys from here or there, but I adore the things. My husband doesn't know I'm looking at dollhouse kits- thats ok, I can't afford any of them anyways. LOL Maybe someday!

I honestly know practically nothing about making dollhouses, but this forum seemed like a friendly, open place- and a good place to start off!

Hi, and welcome! What?? You've been interested in a dollhouse for 24 hours and don't have one yet?? :)

Do look around, and spend some time on Greenleaf's home page where you can find a bunch of different dollhouses, and surely one will catch your eye!...or more than one...

Some of us have several more than one, some that are not longer being made but which we've managed to find on eBay and similar sources, several kits still undone, several in progress all-at-the-same-time...and yes..there are a few folks here with just one. But there's still time for them ..and for you! ;)

Hi, and welcome! What?? You've been interested in a dollhouse for 24 hours and don't have one yet?? :)

Do look around, and spend some time on Greenleaf's home page where you can find a bunch of different dollhouses, and surely one will catch your eye!...or more than one...

Some of us have several more than one, some that are not longer being made but which we've managed to find on eBay and similar sources, several kits still undone, several in progress all-at-the-same-time...and yes..there are a few folks here with just one. But there's still time for them ..and for you! ;)

LOL I've loved the idea of Dollhouses since I was little, but it's only been 24 hours since the realization "Hey! They might have kits for those!" and "Hey, I could make/get one someday if I win the lotto!" ;)

Speaking of ones that aren't made anymore- I found out this morning that my best friend had one as a child. It's a LaFayette- I found a few links for it, but not many. Is it one of those no longer produced ones??

I was drooling over Greenleaf's page last night. Really wish I could buy one- figured it's best to start small, otherwise I'd be sorely tempted to by some of the truely large ones that look very complicated!

Thank you everyone, for the warm welcomes ;)

Welcome! I know this is an expensive hobby if you let it become one, but making things yourself saves loads of money and is sooo rewarding! As far as houses, go to www.miniatures.com, and sign up for his catalog. They are great to deal with and send emails about sales all the time. With one of his coupons, you can get the smaller houses for very reasonable prices. Then all you need is a bottle of wood glue and some left over house paint to get you started! Read the forums and see the ingenious ideas people come up with for making do with things around the house. And someone is always available to help with questions you may have, this is a most generous group of people!

Hi Charrissa! :)

Welcome to the neighborhood!

You'll be surprised how inexpensively some kits/houses can be! I'm low income, so I can't afford much, but stumble across dollhouses and kits in the classifieds, yard sales, and thrift stores. My most expensive have been $40 kits (Glencroft and Newberg) and cheapest have been $10 (DC Heritage, DC Farmhouse) and a nice gazebo needing a little work to replace one missing rail, and a step for $4.00!

An Orchid from Hobby Lobby is a good place to start, unfortunately no coupon this week :doh: . Sign up for to be on the email list and you'll get the weekly ad, which frequently runs a 40% off coupon.

Before you know it, you'll have your own little neighborhood!

By the way, some of us addicts, I mean enthusiasts, have become adept at concealing the true number of kits by hiding them under beds and other creative locations.

I just joined back in February so I don't have a lot of experience yet, but I do know that the people on this forum are amazing. They can teach you how to make practically any mini that you can think of - and most of them with stuff that you already have around your house. And they're right about those coupons - sign up for Hobby Lobby's email list if there are any in your area. And with Michael's you get a 40% or more off coupon nearly every time you visit. So I will plan small things that I need to buy - like 59 cent bottles of acrylic paint, etc. and then come back the next day (since it's close to where I work) and use the coupon on Easy Cast Epoxy or another more expensive item.

Welcome. Don't let cost discourage you. The most I have paid for a dollhouse is $50. My other one I got for $40. Try craigslists and coupons at hobby stores. You really can keep cost down if you're patient and wait for bargains. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Rain! Don't I know you? LOL ... We're both from NWO: me Northwest Ohio, you Northwest Oregon. Oregon? :( Not Virginia, huh? Oh, well ... I was hoping ... :p