Wainscot Panelled Door I Made

Lynette Smith

I made this wainscot panelled door I made years ago for my Harrison. Last year I gave my Harrison to my niece for her birthday. It was my first attempt at something like this. There are a few shiny spots where dry glue is still visible, despite the care I took (it was also my first wood glue project).

Would a coat of gloss finish make the shiny spots disappear?

My niece had an accident with the Harrison where the roof around the first floor exterior was damaged. We discussed it and she will move it to a different spot where she won't be getting in close contact. The house needs some other things taken care of, mostly caused by my changing my mind about the shutters, windows, and trim under the eaves. It looks a little sad right now.

I'm debating about giving her the door, which I'm rather proud of but hestitate to do so until I see if she doesn't trash the house.

Should I keep it, or not? How standard are the door sizes on Greenleaf kits (provided they are the same shape)? I have a Tennyson, which has double doors in front, though the space is the right height. The balcony door is too narrow. I have a Pierce with two sets of double doors in a non-rectangular style. I have a Glencroft kit which has different shaped doors. Its slightly too wide for the DC San Francisco. I don't see it on the DC Farmhouse, Newberg, Heritage, or the Orchid, unless I get radical in changing the look.

If I don't give it to her, I have a specific house in mind to put it in. I suppose I could always swap it, but I don't know that it would meet anybody's needs (size, stain shade).

It is 6 7/8 tall by 3" wide.

What would you do?

I made this wainscot panelled door I made years ago for my Harrison. Last year I gave my Harrison to my niece for her birthday. It was my first attempt at something like this. There are a few shiny spots where dry glue is still visible, despite the care I took (it was also my first wood glue project).

My niece had an accident with the Harrison where the roof around the first floor exterior was damaged. We discussed it and she will move it to a different spot where she won't be getting in close contact. The house needs some other things taken care of, mostly caused by my changing my mind about the shutters, windows, and trim under the eaves. It looks a little sad right now.

I'm debating about giving her the door, which I'm rather proud of but hestitate to do so until I see if she doesn't trash the house.

Should I keep it, or not? How standard are the door sizes on Greenleaf kits (provided they are the same shape)? I have a Tennyson, which has double doors in front, though the space is the right height. The balcony door is too narrow. I have a Pierce with two sets of double doors in a non-rectangular style. I have a Glencroft kit which has different shaped doors. Its slightly too wide for the DC San Francisco. I don't see it on the DC Farmhouse, Newberg, Heritage, or the Orchid, unless I get radical in changing the look.

If I don't give it to her, I have a specific house in mind to put it in. I suppose I could always swap it, but I don't know that it would meet anybody's needs (size, stain shade).

It is 6 7/8 tall by 3" wide.

What would you do?

post-3408-1239755337_thumb.jpg

Lynette, that's a seriously beautiful door! I think I'd alter the doorway on one of my houses to fit it. It's not hard to make the opening bigger or fill it in with scrap to make it smaller.

There are a few shiny spots where dry glue is still visible, despite the care I took (it was also my first wood glue project).

I'd give it a coat of satin finish clear coat of some kind ... matte Modge Podge or a waterbased varnish. That should knock down the shiny spots and give it a rich look.

You should have a "delete" button to the far left of the buttons in the lower right corner of your post box, next to the "edit" button.

Holly, those of us in the ranks haven't been issued a delete button. All we can do is let Tracy (Minis on the Edge) know to delete it or edit to delete the content.

Yeah, I'd seriously alter the doorway to another house and keep the door. It's beautiful! Another coat of varnish or Mod Podge will do the trick in sprucing up the door too!

My "delete" button doesn't always show up, it shows up sometimes when I pass the cursor over where it would be. I thought Logan said they're there for a short while in case we change our minds (now THAT's something I think would be fun, I'm so tired of looking for the one I used to have).

I don't think I'd give her the door. It doesn't sound like she cares well enough for the house at this time.

I tend to agree. Why spend all of this time and effort if the person you are giving it to doesn't take care of it? Just my 2 cents. I'm sensitive to my work not being taken care of well. :)