KathieB

The weirdest thing in your house

I think she is cute, but other people find her creepy. She is in the guest room.

Um, yeah, I'm agreeing with 'other people'. Just the picture is creeping me out!

I guess the weirdest thing we have is a lamp DH's mom gave us - it's a porcelain conch shell...it just looks weird with a huge lampshade over it. :D Sorry I don't have a picture. Maybe later...

I think she is cute, but other people find her creepy. She is in the guest room.

Do you get a lot of guests? :p Do they stay?

That guest stayed for to long. :p

Here is a picture of Charlotte. She is dressed for Halloween, she dosen't normally have cobwebs, and now she is at an angle

med_gallery_1276_2296_1703.jpg

Hmmm, I think that is creepy too! I don't think I could stay in there with her she reminds me of a crime drama mummy (not that I was invited)!

Weirdest thing I have....well does an urn count? That freaks quite a few people out, I often hear "Is that real????"....but I think it's normal to have grandma here with me all the time.

S

Sabrina, you can come and stay anytime. Just give me a day warning. Hope you don't mind animals. Lots and lots of animals. They are noisy, but not stinky.

And no, actually, no one stays with us. I use the bed to pile clothes on. It could be the 3 am cockatoo screams....maybe the midnight hammering in the basement. DH is a sound sleeper and doesn't notice.

Oh, lets see..........

There's the life size suit of samurai armor in the den. It's probably the thing that people notice first. (those are mostly museum replicas)

Then there's the war history section of the den with a WW2 display on the left and a WW1 display on the right. (those are all genuine items from both wars)

I collect a lot of jade, cork carvings, and Tibetan temple artifacts. Some people find that strange but to me they go nicely with the victorian living room. Victorians were crazy about the orient.

But the thing that tends to make people nervous is the target I have hanging at the end of the hallway. <cackle> Bruce says that it serves to remind him not to make me mad coz I'm a better shot than he is.

post-329-1240004830_thumb.jpg

Deb

post-19-1239897846_thumb.jpg

There is the meat grinder, the thing for pulling canning jars out of hot water, behind the doll are two cameras one is one of the first cameras available, the other is a wind up movie camera. One of the first camcorder. It still works.

The sign on the left is on my garden shed and the meat grinder is in the attic. The vintage Rudolph book is in the closet in the dining room.

Guess we share the same wierd tastes!

cow skull on the front porch. Fox bones too. No, we aren't witchy...just science-y. My archeology degree was focused on osteology. Bones are kinda our weirdness

I have this little carved Tiki idol me bro got me from the Dominican Republic. He's wearing a barrel. I'll say no more, but he is good for a laugh.

probably the weirdest things would be the unfinished dollhouses all over

i do have a cow on my kitchen counter.

glad i'm boring, some of you DO have some weird stuff :)

See, now I think my stuff is all normal and not weird at all. However, I find animal parts and body parts weird. Isn't it funny how everyone has different ideas? I have been to houses that totally lack in 'stuff'. No pictures on the walls, no knick knacks, counters are empty. That is weird. Women who need a whole bedroom to house clothes and shoes is weird to me.

What do you all find weird about OTHER people?

What do you all find weird about OTHER people?

I'm with you on homes with less personalization than a motel room. I get the shivers.

I have this little carved Tiki idol me bro got me from the Dominican Republic. He's wearing a barrel. I'll say no more, but he is good for a laugh.

Back in the day (1950s) my father had a little plastic figure like this. There was a place to put water in it. When you pressed something, a thin jet of water ... well, you can figure out the rest! :)

I have a set of all 7 of the laughing buddhas in bronze. They're about 3 inches tall, and numbered on the bottom. I bought them from an antique dealer and neither of us has ever been able to find another set. However, they're really cute and sit on the mantle. Maybe I should build a Buddhist temple for them! Anyway, they bug my youngest son no end. I have no idea why. I like buddhas, he thinks they're creepy.

I find them creepy but cute.

You SHOULD build them a special temple. Yep. How about a nifty roombox? Then they could still fit on the mantle. (Yes, I am an enabler)

I collect a lot of jade, cork carvings, and Tibetan temple artifacts. Some people find that strange but to me they go nicely with the victorian living room. Victorians were crazy about the orient.

Deb

Deb, maybe you can answer a long old question for me. Who is she?

I bought her at an estate sale many years ago. I think I paid like $10-20 for her. She is very heavy and made of cement. You can tell she used to be someones yard because of all the pits in her but she stays in my livingroom.

I would love to know who she actually is.

Deb, maybe you can answer a long old question for me. Who is she?

That's Quan Yin (sometimes spelled Kwan Yin), the goddess of mercy and compassion. Most often associated with Chinese Buddhist religions she is a Bodhisattva (a Buddhist who evolved so highly that he/she earned the right to enter Nirvana but chooses to remain on earth). The story of Quan Yin is that when she reached the gates of Nirvana, she heard the cries of anguish and pain coming from earth and was so filled with compassion that she gave up her reward to return to earth and help those in need. She has many representations and forms usually depending on the region where the statue or painting comes from. Your statue is one of the most traditional of Quan Yin.

That's a beautiful statue of her Heidi and if she came to your home under what would be seen as fortunate circumstances, then you are really blessed to have her.

Deb

I actually have a motel like place, no pics on the walls, ornaments out. Why? My fluffy assistants. I'm also kinda transient. Looking to see where I'll go next.

That's Quan Yin (sometimes spelled Kwan Yin), the goddess of mercy and compassion. Most often associated with Chinese Buddhist religions she is a Bodhisattva (a Buddhist who evolved so highly that he/she earned the right to enter Nirvana but chooses to remain on earth). The story of Quan Yin is that when she reached the gates of Nirvana, she heard the cries of anguish and pain coming from earth and was so filled with compassion that she gave up her reward to return to earth and help those in need. She has many representations and forms usually depending on the region where the statue or painting comes from. Your statue is one of the most traditional of Quan Yin.

That's a beautiful statue of her Heidi and if she came to your home under what would be seen as fortunate circumstances, then you are really blessed to have her.

Deb

Thank you for finally answering the mystery for me. She was all alone in the corner. No one wanted her. I wanted her the instant I spotted her. I never put her outside. She has always graced the livingroom. I do not remember exactly how much I paid for her but it was really cheap like $10-20. She has to weigh at least 20 lbs.

I love her and will never give her up..LOL Sounds like I am talking about my kid!

I actually have a motel like place, no pics on the walls, ornaments out. Why? My fluffy assistants. I'm also kinda transient. Looking to see where I'll go next.

My friend has always been like that. When she started hanging things on the walls of the place she lives in now, I knew she is planning on staying there for longer then a year.

Just got caught up on the last couple pages. A urn is not strange we have one on the floor under the desk that holds some of the mares ashs and then the Jack Danials Bottle that has some with h part of her mane. People realy look twice at that.

The 327 block is gone now so that si not the first thing you see when you come in the front door. Now it's just the pistons and parts he has not got back to the jeep yet. The saddles stay in because I really didn't but then for some one to borrow after mid night. I forgot there is a silver mounted one in my bedroom that the cast sleep on because I no longer use it. So it is a real expense cat bed now. :):doh: ;)

Cayrol