The weirdest thing in your house

KathieB

Miniwendy brought up weird in another thread, and it got me to thinking. What would someone else consider the weirdest thing in your house? I say someone else, as you probably don't think it's too weird or you wouldn't have it. :groucho:

Apparently my item is a pair of bookends that sport my bronzed baby shoes. I've always thought it was a bit silly but very dear of my mother to want to create a trophy for her first-born. (The 2nd- & 3rd-borns were not so honored.)

So ... what does your house hold that would make someone do a doubletake?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont think thats weird, Kathie. my house on the other hand... IDK this is gonna take some thinking to find the weirdest thing here...Ill be back! :groucho:

In my house it's the dollhouses! It's not because they are dollhouses, it's because of how many there are, and the locations they sit in, like the Orchid and Fairfield on the top cupboards, and the 1/2 inch Farmhouse on top the pc desk, and the cabin in the hall, on a dresser...not to mention the huge Strawberry Patch in the bedroom on a microwave stand, and a row of houses in the basement, on a street made of sawbenches and MDF sheets. The double take is when they're told, Oh "those are Mom's"-or those are the "wife's toys", LOL

I have two things--the closet door that I wallpapered with bookcase wallpaper (so the linen closet looks like a bookcase) and the fake fireplace that Jimmy installed.

The walls and backsplash in my kitchen. Walls are crooked, so are the cabinets. When I painted the cabinets, I taped off part of the walls behind them in free-form triangles and painted the triangles the same color as the cabinets. Then I did triangles on the other walls, in multiple colors. For the backsplash (to cover the significant gap between the counter and the wall, also crooked) I bought bags of polished pebbles and stuck them on the wall with silicone caulk. It's the pebbles that get the 'huh?' look, often followed by "You have way too much time on your hands."

Just the dollhouses all over the place (3 in living room, one in dining room, one in spare bedroom, one in computer room and one in family room.)

The weirdest thing in my house is all the movies. Not just because of them but because of the amount of them. Mine and my husbands DVD collection is well over 1000 DVD's and that is not counting the Blu Ray movies or the video games. I once decided I was going to catalog them all and I wrote down every title we had at that time. That was almost 2 years ago and the collection has really grown since then. There was a little over 1000 2 years ago, so I would be afraid of the number now. A lot of people we know call us the Blockbuster Video house. If we don't have it, it has not been released yet.

You should try packing all those movies. Most of the boxes tht we have packed is just movies and we ran out of boxes and had to get more.

Hmm . . . that's a toughy. Perhaps the hubby! Ah no, I didn't say that! LOL!!

I'd probably say all the animals we have . . . not that they're weird . . . there's just so many. Three dogs and three parrots is enough for anyone who comes to our house to do a double take!

I'd probably say all the animals we have . . . not that they're weird . . . there's just so many. Three dogs and three parrots is enough for anyone who comes to our house to do a double take!

Same here, Teresa! We have 3 dogs and 3 cats. Aside from that, ours is probably the laundry hanging up to dry (on rainy days) in the exercise room, which is really the dining room. We live in a fairly nice neighborhood, and I'm sure the neighbors would think we were pretty backwards. But, what they don't know won't hurt 'em, and it saves $ and the environment in a small way!

In my house, it would have to be my wife's collection of holstein cows. She has them in every room. I had to buy her a china hutch just to keep most of them in one spot. That thing is packed full of all sorts of cows. Then when people come over, they see Izzy, my bearded dragon. Not too many people thinks he is real till they get up close to his cage and he starts looking at them.

Kathie has seen my house!lol Probably what inspired the question. When we moved in one of our neighbors offered us dynamite to blow up the stupa in the side garden. The local Tibetan Buddhist congregation has begun to come out to the house to ask if they might use it for their worship services, so of course they're welcome! The huge stacks of unread books on the floor because we've run out of bookcase room and the bikes in the house because we've run out of room on the back porch... Nobody bats an eye at the prayer flags hanging from the beams in the livingroom, or the prayer banners doubling as room dividers. We aren't Buddhists, BTW; we just think it's cool that there are so many wanys to visualize & worship the Creator!

I don't think a lot of movies is weird. I have a lot more than I care to mention. I don't think the animals are weird - the dining has no furniture, just wall to wall bird cages. I don't think lots of dollhouses are weird - I have them all over. I had an upside down christmas tree for a foyer chandelier for 3 years.

I guess the thing most people find weird is that the garage is finished and has a furnace and central air. Or the oversized TV.

Or it could be the tortoises walking around. Yep, I have to go with that.

Or maybe I am weird that I think it's all normal.

Gee, what in my house isn't wierd?

I have vintage Fisher Price Little People, hundreds of dolls (mostly Barbies), hundreds of patterns for costuming under my day bed, probably 1000+ yards of fabric, an air compressor which is really supposed to be in a garage but lives in my laundry room, swords, battle axes, hammers, a shield, a foil, a 24' scarf, wedding dress collection, a jar of shreaded money, a stuffed animal vulture I got as a birthday present, wool picker, drum carder, 2 spinning wheels, 2 model spinning wheels, doumbek, Darth Vader helmet, a rustic home made crossbow, a chimney sweeping brush, a pineapple plant, and a wood cane made from a pice of sage brush come to mind.

I'm sure there are a wealth of other things.

When I lived at home there were two truly strange things I came across. One was a strange piece of metal which looked kind of like a bolt on one end at an odd angle and a round part which seemed handle like; I couldn't find a hammer, so I pulled it out at started using it, Mom looked at me and asked if I knew what it was (no), it was my grandmother's artificial hip joint, which had been replaced when there was a problem with the first hip replacement. Grandma thought because it was titanium that we might want to take to the metal recylce people.

The second item I discovered when I went to look through one of the lesser used kitchen cupboards. It was the lower section of a deer's leg, with the hoof! Mom was into woodcarving and had my uncle save it for her so she could study it's structure. We convinced Mom an unpreserved deer leg wasn't very hygenic and convinced her to throw it out!

At my house it is the OUTSIDE. My mom is a master gardener of new jersey. Apparently that is a title and she took college classes a year or so ago for that. Well our yard is so covered in bushes and flowers and trees and there are vines going all over the porch (and trying to worm their way into the house). Whenever a new friend is coming over and they ask what my house looks like so they know, any of my other friends will reply "Its the yellow one on the corner. You know, the one that looks like a jungle."

The weirdest thing in my house? My kids...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

We have a lot of toys. My husband has all the Woot! monkeys, one of every color. They are those screaming flying monkeys, with different colored capes that have the Woot! logo. They have velcro on their hands, so they are strung together across the two bookcases on either side of the TV. Those bookcases hold a few books, a few movies, and many XBOX games (all in alphabetical order thanks to my youngest who has to have everything in order), along with our Mr. Potato Head collection (Spider Spud, Mashed Tater, R2 Potattoo, etc), many Transformers, a Master Chief helmet, and my Lionel train. The kids' toys are all in their rooms, those all belong to the grown-ups.

The decorated 7 foot Christmas tree in my hobby room. I don't consider it weird in the least - but most people who see it don't think it's at all normal to have a completely decorated Christmas tree in April :thumb: