I bought this house from micheals

asherah

That is the one I picked out - after I'd been in there asking for them a few times, one of the employees was kind enough to get them from the back for me so I could purchase one. It was $9.99 and I had a 40% off coupon so I paid $6 for it :laughbounce: I was excited to get such a cheap dollhouse - I'm going to turn it into a "dream gingerbread house" to display at Christmastime, covered in "frosting" made from spackle and "candy" made from polyclay, and little "gingerbread men" to live inside!

Still not sure how I'm going to make all the wood look like gingerbread, though!

Hi Abbe! I LOVE gingerbread houses, and decorate my house in gingerbread and candy for Christmas every year. Last year I made a Buttercup into a gingerbread house, and I was very pleased how it turned out. I used spackle, textured it, and painted it brown. I did also spackle the roof. All that spackle did add a lot of weight to the house though. But since it was light to begin with, not a big deal.

gallery_3297_3741_68725.jpg

Hope you decide to do it, that looks like it would be a fun gingerbread house/decoration!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't realize how close they were to a Greenleaf house. I bought all 3 houses and some furniture sets. Only tried one house and the floor bowed really bad. Didn't even fix with hot water and pressure from books. I just ended up selling the other 2 kits and furniture to someone on here.

was pointed out on one of the other forums here, apparently some of the puzzle houses are rip-offs of Greenleaf's designs. Cute & cheap notwithstanding, that makes them off-limits in my book.

was pointed out on one of the other forums here, apparently some of the puzzle houses are rip-offs of Greenleaf's designs. Cute & cheap notwithstanding, that makes them off-limits in my book.

Holly, that was why I stayed away from the Tennyson and Arthur rip-offs, but do you know if the Fantasy Villa is a knockoff of anyone's design? The only ones I've seen like it are on Amazon, and are the same wooden puzzle, so I figured it was "safe." At any rate, I certainly hope Greenleaf does take some sort of action against the company - the puzzles are awesome, but the knockoffs do concern me.

I also decided that I wouldn't buy any more puzzle houses (if our Michaels does eventually stock them) once I realised that they were copies of the Greenleaf designs. Unfortunately, I did buy several of the kits last year, when they went on clearance. Those ones I will still keep in my stash for a rainy day. Cheap though they were, I can't afford to dispose of them.

The Fantasy Villa looks like the 1:24 Fantasy Villa Wood Craft made that I got from Tracy/ Minis on the Edge; it made me wonder if Creatology bought out Wood Craft, or if it's the same company with a new name.

I am looking for the woodcraft carousel puzzle they use to have. I saw it online somewhere but it was about $50. I also saw the puzzle houses for the same ridiculous prices. I would buy a GL half scale house now over one of those they are just toys and nowhere near the quality.

post-7-1275866333_thumb.jpg

I finished my hardwood floors and interior trim! More pictures here if you'd like to take a look.

I also made some modifications to the apex trim, I like it a lot better now.

post-7-1275866405_thumb.jpg

Yesterday I picked up a turntable at a garage sale for $3. It's the perfect size for the puzzle house. So next I'll be working on furniture (most of it is in kit form) and also on a small yard. It won't have an elaborate garden like the Fairfield, but I think I'll have room for a few small bushes, and maybe a fence. I also want to add a trellis with vines to the side of the house.

Okay so the MAN went to bed....I was able to go to my car and retrieve my little treasures...

34otxjn.jpg

So here's the other house I picked up...I'm guessing this was the one you were originally talking about....

And then here's the furniture sets they have....Course I've gotta stuff these under the couch so there'll be peace in the house... :D

6rlzes.jpg

MAN... bahahahaha. That is what I call DH when he is clearly not understanding my crafty happiness. :popcorn:

And I was just AT Michael's the other night and didn't even see these! I was even on the aisle those punchouts are on. Must. Go. Back. :laughing:

My local Michaels right now has these, they have the Fantasy Villa, the Tennyson looking style and the Arthur style...the Arthur one is $7.99, while the other two are $9.99, the furniture kits are all $4.99...they are in the clearance section in the back of the store in bins...you just have to sift through the bins... :D

And I was just AT Michael's the other night and didn't even see these! I was even on the aisle those punchouts are on. Must. Go. Back. :laughing:

If the clerks aren't sure, just keep looking, or ask all the places they keep the 3D wooden puzzles. My Michaels currently has these kinds of puzzles in three places - a "Summer Crafts" section right up front, the woodcrafting section, and near the clearance section way in the back corner. I have no idea where the dollhouses have been put, and last I talked with an employee she said she wasn't sure which 3D wood puzzles section they would be in either.

I'm going to turn it into a "dream gingerbread house" to display at Christmastime, covered in "frosting" made from spackle and "candy" made from polyclay, and little "gingerbread men" to live inside!

You should take a look at the Lemax Sugar 'n Spice collection -- it's more or less to scale, and you might find some cute "candy" accessories to go with your gingerbread house! (I think these are retired now, but maybe they're available on eBay?)

Today I made a tree for my puzzle house out of a Sugar 'n Spice tree that I bought a long time ago at Michaels. My tree turned out looking like a regular tree, but they have a lot of cute candy stuff... a tree made out of gumdrops, candy corn hedges, etc.

You should take a look at the Lemax Sugar 'n Spice collection -- it's more or less to scale, and you might find some cute "candy" accessories to go with your gingerbread house! (I think these are retired now, but maybe they're available on eBay?)

Today I made a tree for my puzzle house out of a Sugar 'n Spice tree that I bought a long time ago at Michaels. My tree turned out looking like a regular tree, but they have a lot of cute candy stuff... a tree made out of gumdrops, candy corn hedges, etc.

Those are fantastic! I think I will have to start scouring the internet for them now, LOL. Thanks!

And that tree looks awesome. I have to say, I love the landscaping I've seen you do :)

In early June when people started posting that Michael's had these houses, I went and got each one and a furniture kit for each. This weekend, we went to our house up north in Michigan and I brought a house and furniture kit with me to see how they worked. My thought was to make it for my secretary's cousin (age 6) so she could paint it, etc.

It only took about three hours to put together. I only put in wall paper for decoration and it turned out really well. The furniture went together even faster. I only glued where the pieces were loose. Some of the furniture (especially the stove) seem out of scale and don't fit into the rooms nicely. (Wish I had thought to take pictures - I'm about two houses out of date on my gallery!)

But, it turned out great to make and give to a child to paint and play with. I think I may pick up some more to make as gifts/donations for children. (Not for very young ones though unless it is very well glued - lots of small pieces.)

I also think I may do one that is actually primed, painted, wallpaper etc. for me to play with!

Kirsten

Kirsten, which one did you build?

I'm going to be sort of close to another Michaels tomorrow and I might pop down there and see what they have. I was at the local one over the weekend and they had several furniture kits but no houses.

I forgot the name of the one I built - it looks just like a smaller version of the GL Tennyson. Bay windows on first two floors; 6 rooms, 2 staircases etc. The other ones I bought are Dollhouse with Veranda and Fantasy Dollhouse. (Which are also similar to GL designs - I hope they get royalties!)

I'm going to our Micheal's to see if I can pick up some more (especially now that I just got an email coupon!). But, if you are looking, at our Micheal's they are NOT in the wood sections with the other wood puzzles. They are kept in the children's craft section in the seasonal aisles, which I never would have found by myself. It took a couple of clerks to find them. Go figure.

Kirsten

Sherry would you believe I took mine out of the trash and tried again but now its back where it should have stayed! LOL

I liked last years versions a lot better didn't you?

Fov yours looks so good I wouldn't believe it was a puzzle house!

No, it's not the same one. Look at the doors, they have cut out windows. And look at the mullions in the windows, they are to scale. So Creatology isn't copying Greenleaf, they're cheap knockoffs of Woodcraft! Just goes to prove that all dollhouses are pretty similar in style! Every company has a house similar to the Tennyson, and they are probably all styled after some real life house. Or houses!

Not only that, but the Woodcraft kit is a larger version.

I have a hunch the Creatology houses come from a Chinese manufacturer, and have been rebranded by Michaels. I've seen some similar styles on eBay that ship directly from China. So it's possible that the Creatology and Woodcraft houses are actually coming from the same (Chinese) factory, but are being branded differently by their American retailers.

Today I went to the other Micheals -- only half an hour out of my way! -- and they had LOADS of puzzle houses, both the Arthur-like one ("house with veranda") and the Tennyson knock-off. They had at least five of the Tennyson and maybe ten or more of the one with the veranda. It was all I could do not to buy a bunch of them! I ended up getting one of each, figuring I'd probably be annoyed at myself later if I passed them up.

I never noticed the difference in the doors, etc! They sure looked the same and I was totally blown away by the price. Still think the price is outrageous though.

Kirsten

I'm starting landscaping on my puzzle house and could use some opinions. I have a rock wall from Dept 56 that I thought looked nice, and I also wanted to do something with a picket fence / arbor. Here are two ideas. Neither really looks like I want it to look and I'm trying to decide if there's something I can do with these pieces that will be good, or if I should just do away with walls / fences altogether and make a nice garden and be done with it.

post-7-1277165433_thumb.jpg post-7-1277165439_thumb.jpg

The arbor and picket fence are from Lemax. If I use them, I'll paint them to match the trim on the house. The arbor seems tiny but it's 4" tall, which is actually a little taller than half scale arbors made by Town Square Miniatures.

I'm thinking that maybe due to the size of the yard, a fence (or wall) would just be too much. I'm planning to add a flower bed to the right side of the house. Also some kind of path up to the house, but the slate path I bought today (also Dept 56) turned out to be too long.

I have a birdhouse kit and a mailbox (which will need to be inserted into a post) on the way in the mail, too, so those could be used somewhere.

What do you guys think? Am I just trying to do too much? (Probably! :giggle: )