I bought this house from micheals

asherah

Fov, is this the one you looked at?

gallery_3692_4140_12562.jpg

It's being a pain in the tookus to do anything with. Lots of those hook tabs to cut, sand, and fill. The threshold to the door was nearly 1/2 inch high to accomodate the doors. I cut it out and will make new doors for the house (double doors came with it).

The brackets under the roof were like those pinwheel things we had last year-show inside the house. I wanted the exterior brackets though, so I cut them all in half and glued these on with E6000. Brick paper printies, and they are so short that everything had to be pieced. I got the pattern matched, and think the trim will cover up most seams, but it was a royal pain doing!

The roof really had me going for a while! But if you number the pieces and follow those numbers in order, the basic shell goes together fairly easy.

I've got the inside papered, but don't like the printie floors, so I'll be putting new ones down, still have to do wallpaper border and moldings inside.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Fov,

No, but I have an extra one from last year if you are interested. I looked all over and finally found some down in Florida on sale and clearance last July when we were on vacation. I grabbed all they had for various friends and family and wound up with an extra. Let me know and it is yours for the cost I paid plus postage.

Hi Everyone, I have posted a few pics of my latest mini finds. First there is another style house that I found at Michaels for $9.99. Next some Fisher Price Loving Family furniture that I plan to fix up and take away that toy look. Then there's a fancy sofa/jewelry box that I found in Ross for $5.99. It's more like Barbie scale, but it was so cute I couldn't pass it up. Take a look here http://www.picturet rail.com/ sfx/album/ view/17514329.

:lol: :)

Fov, is this the one you looked at?

No, the one I saw was more elaborate. If it's still there when I go back I'll take a picture.

It's a shame that they don't have the same houses as last year. They went together so easily.

Beverly, thanks for the offer! I'll send you a PM about it.

Just wanted you all to know, I merge Tanya's topic to this one so that we won't have multiple topics regarding the same Puzzle houses. I understand it's exciting to find these half scale houses at Michaels but this is still the Greenleaf forum (who just launched half scale houses). The one that looks like a Tennyson is a total knock off of a copyrighted product by Greenleaf so let's try to keep the puzzle houses in this topic only. Imagine how you would feel if someone stole your design and then people on the forum started steering people to the knockoff kit and not the real deal :lol: . So far, all of these kits are knockoffs of Greenleaf designs (The one that looks like the Arthur, the one almost like the storybook and now the Tennyson).

I just thought I would mention this because I know how I would feel if it were me in Greenleaf's position.

Sorry, I didn't know. It won't happen again. Just wanted to share.

Just wanted you all to know, I merge Tanya's topic to this one so that we won't have multiple topics regarding the same Puzzle houses. I understand it's exciting to find these half scale houses at Michaels but this is still the Greenleaf forum (who just launched half scale houses). The one that looks like a Tennyson is a total knock off of a copyrighted product by Greenleaf so let's try to keep the puzzle houses in this topic only. Imagine how you would feel if someone stole your design and then people on the forum started steering people to the knockoff kit and not the real deal :lol: . So far, all of these kits are knockoffs of Greenleaf designs (The one that looks like the Arthur, the one almost like the storybook and now the Tennyson).

I just thought I would mention this because I know how I would feel if it were me in Greenleaf's position.

No problem Tonya. I understand. I have a cold so maybe that post came off a little harsh. I did not mean for that to happen if I did sound harsh. I have been merging these topics trying to keep them in a neutral section so that the conversation can continue without being in the "Tech section", "Chit chat" & "general mini" plus "other houses" section of the forum :yay: It's hard to keep up with them all :lol:

:)

Good point about the puzzle houses being knockoffs of the Greenleaf designs. I hadn't thought of it from that perspective. The fact that they're half scale is nice, but with Greenleaf's new half scale offerings, we half scalers have a lot more to choose from now than we did a year ago when the puzzle houses first appeared! (And I can't wait to try one of the new half scale houses -- but first I have to finish some of my in-progress projects!)

I was inspired by the puzzle house talk, so I went back to mine yesterday. I added some apex trim to the gable, since the placement of the window had been bothering me. I couldn't find what I wanted anywhere so I ended up making my own out of some of the gingerbread from the Orchid that I didn't use. What do you guys think?

puzzlehouse-apex5.jpg

I also wallpapered the downstairs rooms. I'm hoping to finish up the inside of this one pretty quickly so it won't be sitting around languishing for years and years like some of my other houses have been. (Then I'm going back to the Westville, which *has* been languishing for years and years!) There are a few more pictures on my blog.

Got home late Friday night and before going to the office on Saturday, swung by Michaels to see if they had them. They did (but had to ask a clerk - not in the wood section, but rather the child craft section.) Bought three houses and three furniture kits. Why?!?! No clue - maybe because I was there?

Not sure I will keep them since I alreadt ordered a GL laser kits which are SO much better.

Kirsten

Good point about the puzzle houses being knockoffs of the Greenleaf designs. I hadn't thought of it from that perspective. The fact that they're half scale is nice, but with Greenleaf's new half scale offerings, we half scalers have a lot more to choose from now than we did a year ago when the puzzle houses first appeared! (And I can't wait to try one of the new half scale houses -- but first I have to finish some of my in-progress projects!)

I was inspired by the puzzle house talk, so I went back to mine yesterday. I added some apex trim to the gable, since the placement of the window had been bothering me. I couldn't find what I wanted anywhere so I ended up making my own out of some of the gingerbread from the Orchid that I didn't use. What do you guys think?

puzzlehouse-apex5.jpg

I also wallpapered the downstairs rooms. I'm hoping to finish up the inside of this one pretty quickly so it won't be sitting around languishing for years and years like some of my other houses have been. (Then I'm going back to the Westville, which *has* been languishing for years and years!) There are a few more pictures on my blog.

It's soo cute! I'm off to check out the blog.

Last week I was in Michael's and I looked for these houses you were all talking about, but I didn't see any. Almost bought a pirate ship, but managed to control myself.

I have some of the Michael's kits from last year and I am working on the Rosedale half scale. There is no comparison of the quality of the Greenleaf kits to these little puzzle houses.I think these little houses are great fun and I will probably buy them if I find them, but you do get what you pay for. It would be cool to see one of these knockoffs next to the real deal. I also don't think these puzzle houses are really half scale, I think they are slightly larger. Fov, you did a wonderful job with yours, it's Beautiful.

A Greenleaf half scale Rosedale ( without it's third floor) next to a Michael's "Arthur" puzzle house so that you can see what I mean when I say the scale is different:

I went back to Michael's today. They had a bunch of the furniture sets. Still just one of the Fantasy Dollhouse (probably the same one I saw last time). I took a picture of it -- sorry for the poor quality!

post-7-1275249855_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure of the price, it wasn't marked (and I didn't buy it).

I've been working on the interior of my puzzle house and this morning I bought coffee stirrers to use for floors. I think I'll have the interior finished up in the next few days.

I went back to Michael's today. They had a bunch of the furniture sets. Still just one of the Fantasy Dollhouse (probably the same one I saw last time). I took a picture of it -- sorry for the poor quality!

post-7-1275249855_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure of the price, it wasn't marked (and I didn't buy it).

I've been working on the interior of my puzzle house and this morning I bought coffee stirrers to use for floors. I think I'll have the interior finished up in the next few days.

That is the one I picked out - after I'd been in there asking for them a few times, one of the employees was kind enough to get them from the back for me so I could purchase one. It was $9.99 and I had a 40% off coupon so I paid $6 for it ;) I was excited to get such a cheap dollhouse - I'm going to turn it into a "dream gingerbread house" to display at Christmastime, covered in "frosting" made from spackle and "candy" made from polyclay, and little "gingerbread men" to live inside!

Still not sure how I'm going to make all the wood look like gingerbread, though!

...Still not sure how I'm going to make all the wood look like gingerbread, though!
Fleckstone spray or sand in the paint and then paint it the color of gingerbread?

Here's a recipe for puffy paint. My grandson did a picture using this stuff last year in school. It would be perfect for gingerbread if you could get the color right.

Gingerbread house was the first thing I though of when my daughter gave me one of these houses. I think I will do it for Christmas and pass it back to her.

Well, here is the house I built out of the puzzle. It was not a fun build, lots of spackling, sanding, adding trim to fix spots where things don't fit like they should. I was just glad to get it done. Before Halloween, I'll add more weeds to the yard, a for sale sign, crime scene tape, and a ghost on the balcony.

I never did finish the inside, once I realized I didn't like it and would just be using it for a seasonal decoration. I don't like the wallpaper, the paper floors, any of it! Then again, I could add some blood to the floor and the chalk outline of a body.....

Anyway, it's done and I doubt I will ever do the other two. They are just not as much fun as the styles they had last year!

gallery_3692_4174_27114.jpg

Sherry, yours looks a whole lot better than the way most of those puzzle houses turn out! Our folks really have a talent for making them look like more than they are.

I got all three of the different houses. They ranged from 7.99-9.99 and furniture. My two daughters had a blast putting them together. Even my 7 year old could do them. They were so excited about how fun they were and I was happy to see them getting into the idea of building houses. I think these are a good place to get them started and move them on to actual dollhouses!

Sherry's house is really well done and sure doesn't look like a puzzle house. I tried the same one and it is now residing in my trash can. I dumped it once, tried to resurrect it and its back for good. I like the ones last year a lot. I know they aren't GL but they are cheap! I think that fantasy one would be a good willie wonka house or something haunted. It sure has enough doo dads on it doesn't it?

I got all three of the different houses.

All three? There's the one Sherry built and the one I posted the picture of... what does the third look like?

Fleckstone spray or sand in the paint and then paint it the color of gingerbread?

Holly, you and I seem to think along the same lines so very often! I had already thought of doing both of those, as well as possibly getting stucco/spackle and spreading it on the wood, texturing it very lightly, and painting it. I'll definitely be trying a couple of different techniques though, so I'll be sure to post them as I go!

Here's a recipe for puffy paint. My grandson did a picture using this stuff last year in school. It would be perfect for gingerbread if you could get the color right.

Gingerbread house was the first thing I though of when my daughter gave me one of these houses. I think I will do it for Christmas and pass it back to her.

That's a great idea as well, though it seems like I'd need an awful lot of Elmer's glue :laughbounce: I'd also be worried that it wouldn't last, because I definitely want this to turn into a long-lasting decoration. I'll have to give that a shot too, though!

I'm really excited to do this, though. I had been looking at all of the Greenleaf houses trying to decide which one I would want to turn into a gingerbread house, but they're all so expensive and pretty that every time I started to consider it, I felt bad that I'd do that to one of the kits! The puzzle houses are cheap enough (and cheaply enough made) that I don't feel bad about it - and whatever holes there are left behind by cutting tabs and whatnot can be covered up by "candy" or "frosting" :wub:

All three? There's the one Sherry built and the one I posted the picture of... what does the third look like?

There's the "Victorian house"/Tennyson knockoff, "Fantasy house"/Fantasy Villa, and an Arthur knockoff that I can't recall their name for ("Cottage house" I think)

Ah - I didn't realize they were selling the Arthur-looking one again this year. (Is it the same as the one from last year? This one?)

I had been looking at all of the Greenleaf houses trying to decide which one I would want to turn into a gingerbread house, but they're all so expensive and pretty that every time I started to consider it, I felt bad that I'd do that to one of the kits! The puzzle houses are cheap enough (and cheaply enough made) that I don't feel bad about it

Agreed. I'm much less afraid to mess something up on the puzzle house than I would be on a Greenleaf house, if only because the initial investment is so much smaller!