My new house has arrived!

Ok, my house got here yesterday, (Lily) yeah! I sat down last night to read through the directions, it says to follow them in exact order or you may not be able to put the house together. The first part of the directions say to put all the windows and door pieces together, and glue some of them. I have not decided how I am going to finish the outside yet, but even if I decide to do the siding, how do they expect you to cut the siding around the pediments that are curved? Would it be a problem to leave that step until last, as I wanted to do everything else and do the windows last. I may even buy other windows. Would it look okay to put the windows on top of say brick or siding if I decide to do that with the outside? Also, I wanted to get different stairs for the inside, can I leave that until later or will that cause a problem?

Windows and stairs are some of the last things for me. But it depends on the house. Sometimes you have to finsih a whole floor and install them before you can move on.

I would be sure to do a dry fit so you get the hang of how it all goes together first (that is where you just tape the house together) and then you can determine if the stairs have to go in first or if they can wait. I sometimes change out the stairs and almost always the windows. It just depends on the house and who it is for.

With my Lily, I did the siding last. No, it was'nt fun but, it was important to do it after the window installation.

As far as the stairs go, I think you really need to put them in before you assemble the house if your taking about the 1st floor. There is no room on the 1st floor to move at all in that little entry way.

The 2nd floor could probably be done after but, I'd dry fit it all 1st.

Good luck!

No way I put windows or doors on until all the rest of the decorating's done. I carefully trace around the trims onto the walls and mask them. I will eventually build my Lily kit, but it wants to be a Tuscan villa, so it will be plaster over brick on the outside (I have been wanting to do crumbling plaster over brick for a long time, and this house wants it!). In the case of siding, I use the utility knife to trim it to fit the traced outline.

The Lily was my first dollhouse so I was afraid at first not to follow the directions, but after the dry fit I realized that some of the instructions didn't make sense to do in order, especially putting the siding on after the porch railings, to little room to work in for me. The downstairs stairway will need to go in cause of the tight fit, but you will need to decorate the wall before they go in the foyer is a very small place and once the stairs are in the access to the wall the stairs fit in is hard.

Be sure and check the building teams blog, there are some very good picture of the different stages of the build and may help you as you build.