Daily Exercise Journal

lmgervais

Liza, it is sugar crash. It happens. Do not have to be diabetic to succumb to it. Like those energy drinks people drink. They wake you up because of the massive amounts of caffeine but the sugar crash does them in all the time. I do not drink them myself but I have heard about them.

Liza, it is sugar crash. It happens. Do not have to be diabetic to succumb to it. Like those energy drinks people drink. They wake you up because of the massive amounts of caffeine but the sugar crash does them in all the time. I do not drink them myself but I have heard about them.

That's what I was thinking it might be, but I just can't do artifical sweeteners, and I love sweet stuff. Guess I'll have to find some middle ground or time my sweets near meals to try to lessen the crashes.

That's great, Melanie! I'm no good at estimating distances - how long did it take you to walk half a mile? Do you keep a steady pace? (Just so I can get an idea of how far I'm going myself on my little walks.)

Haven't done mine yet - I feel I should be going out early, but early morning is when I'm at my stiffest and sorest, so .... the walks usually happen much later in the day.

Liza, that's really interesting about the sweets - if you cut down on the amount of sugar, you can still taste the sweetness.

Before my DH cut out sugar in his tea and coffee, I would sprinkle just a few grains in. Often he wouldn't realise - and he liked a heaped couple of spoons of sugar! There were times when he did realise, but mostly just a little sugar sweetened the drinks enough. I'm very glad to report that he goes without the sugar these days .... still trying to get him to give up his coffee cream! :lol:

I wonder if the type of sugar you ingest will make a difference? Are you a cake, cookies and candy, sweet addict? Or do you go for the fruits, honey, juice, etc. I know that sugar is sugar even when it's fruit sugar - but I would be interested to know if you get as tired with the "natural" sugars as you might do with processed sweets.

I am not going to go today. I have been doing some Spring cleaning and i think that will be just as much work as walking the treadmill. Getting all the dusties out of the way. Diningroom is finally back to ship shape. We will see how long that lasts..hehehe

The dog is avoiding me because today it is her beauty shop day. Toenails and a bubble bath!

I know I have not been posting here but I have been working out on schedule though I have been having a lot of Real Life issues going on around here!! I went to the Doctor last Thursday to get my B-12 Shot and found out I have lost a total of 21 Pounds since January!!! (12 of those pounds are from the past 3 weeks of doing the DVD workout routine).

I did Yoga Yesterday and I hate Yoga still BUT I was able to do a lot more of it than I was from when I first started this program. Today I work my Core. I am so sleepy today. I just want to sleep in the bed all day but we are having friends over on Saturday which means I have housework to do around here :)

I am so Proud of everyone!! I had to catch up on this topic and I am just so proud that everyone is still sticking to it. I popped in here for encouragement cause I don't feel like working out today but reading everyones comments gave me that push so I am about to go do my workout! See you all in about 45 Minutes :lol:

Liza, that's really interesting about the sweets - if you cut down on the amount of sugar, you can still taste the sweetness.

Before my DH cut out sugar in his tea and coffee, I would sprinkle just a few grains in. Often he wouldn't realise - and he liked a heaped couple of spoons of sugar! There were times when he did realise, but mostly just a little sugar sweetened the drinks enough. I'm very glad to report that he goes without the sugar these days .... still trying to get him to give up his coffee cream! :lol:

I wonder if the type of sugar you ingest will make a difference? Are you a cake, cookies and candy, sweet addict? Or do you go for the fruits, honey, juice, etc. I know that sugar is sugar even when it's fruit sugar - but I would be interested to know if you get as tired with the "natural" sugars as you might do with processed sweets.

When I drink tea (de-caf), I have to have it with two cream-two sugar, and still sometimes find it is not sweet enough. When I have shredded wheat for breakfast, I have to add 1-1/2 to 2 rounded teaspoons of brown sugar, but I can eat plain Cheerios and not miss the sugar. As for the sugar, I crave cand/chocolate/pop. Cookies if there are any home-made, but I haven't made any since DS#2 was diagnosed as diabetic. Rarely eat cakes or pies for the same reason. And, I don't get the sugar 'high', just the bottomed out tired feeling a short time after.

Never thought of 'natural' sugars vs 'processed' sugars. Will have to think about that one and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the idea.

Good on you, Jeffrey - don't fall off the ladder!

Tracy, you've done us all proud - whoohoo!!!!

Liza, you weren't kidding when you said you have a sweet tooth! I never used to eat cereal - well, I did when I was a child - but I have recently started up again. I spoon some yoghurt on instead of sugar, and I really enjoy it. I use vanilla flavoured Rice Dream (rice milk) because I'm lactose intolerant, and can't digest soy products very well either. Yoghurt is okay, though. I've been using Astro brand "Zero"- zero fats, no sugar added, no aspartame. It makes me feel like I'm having a real treat, and I know it's good for me, too. :yes:

Thanks, Melanie, that gives me a better idea about how far I'm going. An average walk for me takes 20 mins, at a fairly brisk pace. (At least, it starts out brisk, slows a bit about halfway, and then finishes up almost brisk again!) :)

I have lost another 2 lbs. I have not heard from my gym partner yet on whether she is going today. If she does not want to, then I will go this morning.

Thank you.

I am a bit shocked myself. And it just came off. Nothing Nothing Nothing...BAM! I am thinking of going to Salvation Army today to see if I can find some work out stuff. It will save some money.

I am going to get over my reluctance today and try some of the upper body machines. I do not like looking like a fool. So for the past 2 weeks I have been watching people on the machines while I walk. That way, I will not look stupid climbing on those contraptions..LOL

Holly, Heidi was signed up for a training session, and then she found out that none of the trainers are licensed - that was further back in this thread.

Congratulations, Heidi - you're doing a fantastic job!

Liza, did your daughter go with you on your walk? I'll bet she had a sleep-in instead. :banana:

Congratulations Heidi!! That's Great news!! Keep it up and Liza, That's great you went walking any way today! Yesterday, I only did half a workout, I had a very tiered day! I have been running like crazy trying to take care of so many things AND then I decided to take care of me too (What nerves I have Huh :)) and I was just pooped yesterday and noticed the quality of the workout was not there so I just turned off the DVD after 30 mins (I had another 40 mins to go). I did my workout today KempoX (which is like kick boxing, karate and Thai Chi) so I feel much better today and was able to complete it, but yesterday was just a Blah day for me. :banana: I wanted to redo yesterday's workout today but was told I had to stick to the schedule so I feel like I missed a workout :wave:

I am gonna walk around the lake today since it's 81 degrees outside and sunny!! B)

ughhhhh

remind me never to paint the exterior of a real house again...

still not done. i feel pretty beat but im not sure if its from the actual painting or the sunburn. (i have color before may--thats a first!)

I did it! I worked on my arms yesterday. I tried about 4 machines. I did 5-10lbs because my arms are weak right now. I did 2 reps of 10 on each. They do not hurt today..thank goodness.

2.5 miles total. After ready what Holly said I finally figured it out..LOL I am walking 3.2 miles an hour on the treadmill.

Today is yard sale day..that is a work out in itself. No gym for me today. Maybe tomorrow though because I missed a day this week and I actually feel bad about it.

I am going to do something..I am going to post beginning weight...

251 lbs.

This morning..245.5 lbs.

Oh I have good news! I got the dreaded call from the dr office. BUT it was just to tell me they want to up my Crestor meds. That would worry some but not I. Because I know the exercise will help lower for the next visit. Nothing said about going on the needle!!!! Nothing!!! So either I have kept my A1c at what it was last time or it is lower then last time. Keep it up!!!

Heidi, both the exercise AND the weight loss will lower your A1Cs. Your doctor might want to considor taking you off of the Crestor and putting you on two meds, one for the BP & another for the cholesterol, since you're young enough that the exercise might lower your lipids & triglycerides. I can go faster on a treadmil that walking around on errands. My hiking speed on rough terrain tops out at 2.5 mph, normally I hike much slower because I'm out there to LOOK! But hiking is still a lot more fun!

DH wants to go to some event or other in Carrabelle, FL, which is on the Gulf. I still need to take all my clean playclothes out to the camper, and start carrying some of the groceries out, too; but I really want to be outdoors.

BTW, that reminds me, Jeff, where was your sunscreen? When we took our DS#2 & his wife kayaking with us last summer, the first weekend they refused our request that they use sunscreen and got really ugly 2nd degree burns; the following weekend we went they used the same 50 spf sunscreen I use (and I still turn brown!; just don't burn).

Sorry I haven't checked in in a few days. Everyone is doing so well! Way to go! I find it very inspiring to read about everyone's progress!

Thursday is usually an off day for me, since we have co-op all day. But, when we got home, I really wanted to exercise. So, the kids fixed dinner (they are both vegetarians now so they are cooking for themselves more often) and I walked 30 minutes. I did 40 minutes yesterday, and 45 today. I am working on increasing my speed and not worrying about the incline as much right now. I had been walking with the incline on 5, now I set it at 3 and am trying to go faster and longer.