Daily Exercise Journal

lmgervais

Holly, I know you weren't just being nosy, and believe me, I do appreciate your concern. I've been doing a lot and I do mean a LOT of reading on the forums here this past month. I've seen how you care for everyone, and how open about your own heart you have been. I think that is what gave me the courage to post about mine. :throb: I never thought I would be in this position at 58. The meds are taking some getting used to and I am surprised at how much I feel the effects. The dr's know exactly how I am feeling, and so far, so good.

Was the reason you didn't lift your arm due to the pacemaker, or the heart problem? I've been told not to raise my arms above my head, but not for how long. I think I'll put that on my list of questions to ask tomorrow. So much easier to write down questions and answers, then I don't end up wondering...now what was it they said about that?

Debora, you are so right about the carrying anything. Less than 10 pounds. No sanding, probably for 3 more weeks. I understand the reasons, and I don't want to do anything to keep my heart from healing properly, but...I still grumble some. I know I'm lucky, I really am, and I'm grateful to have another chance.

So sorry you had pneumonia, how miserable.

• Like 1

Jerene, I was instructed NOT to lift my left arm shoulder high for at least six months to allow the electrodes from the pacer's leads to implant successfully into the myocardium (the lining of the heart muscle), and not all the way up for at least another six months to keep from ripping them back out. Six years later I'm still not to risk horseback riding (I might fall off and rip the electrodes out) or whitewater paddle rapids higher than Class III (same reason). Except for the bioelectrical problem my heart (I've been told) is basically healthy! but I'll be pacer-dependent for the rest of my life. Considering I've lost all my immediate family members to cardiovascular diseases and complications, I am, for once, compliant.

Holly, thank you for explaining. At cardiac rehab today, I was told I can now lift my arms above my head for very brief periods, but I still can't change a light bulb or actually do anything while they are up there. LOL I can lift them to do my warm ups before exercise

Exercise today--treadmill, recumbent bike and exercise bike. I do NOT like the exercise bike, I felt like I was sliding off of it, and it hurt my sit down! They worked me, but I feel good for having done the exercise! I'm tired, but it's a good tired. I came home and had a fresh tomato and honey wheat bread sandwich. YUMMM

• Like 1

If you lived closer to us we could take you with us to Gulf Shores and let you ride my recumbent tricycle on the Backcountry Trail while DH & I ride one of our tandems; and then we could all go out for lunch. There's one of the Tai Chi exercises where you start with your hands at midpoint and bring them up together over your head and then out & down at your sides. I do ten of these for a warmup in the AM, with my eyes closed, as one of my balance exercises.

I liked the way the recumbent bike felt. I'm sore from the seat on the regular bike, and the seat feels very wrong to me. Going on the backcountry trail would be very cool. I need to try that Tai Chi exercise, I am a little ok, a lot clumsy, I could work on being better balanced, that is for sure.

Well, since I changed positions this week at work, I went from walking 10-12,000 steps a day to under 3,000. Some days I would come home from work with 15,000 steps already! Guess I need to find some other activity. The high school football field is across the street, but I'm not sure I can find a walking partner, and I think that might be a good idea.

• Like 1

Well, since I changed positions this week at work, I went from walking 10-12,000 steps a day to under 3,000. Some days I would come home from work with 15,000 steps already! Guess I need to find some other activity. The high school football field is across the street, but I'm not sure I can find a walking partner, and I think that might be a good idea.

An iPod might help :) if you can't find a partner.

An iPod might help :) if you can't find a partner.

I'm more concerned about the safety of being alone actually. This field is a little separated from the school, so there's not really an area that overlooks it.

But, I was thinking, I could just go walk inside the school. Hmmm... That's actually a possibility. (I work for the school system so I have a badge, and most people in that school know me.) The only danger would be in someone catching me expecting me to be there working, and want me to fix their computer!!

• Like 2

Did my 5-10-5 today, after cardiac rehab it doesn't seem like as much as it did a couple days ago.

Kat, you are so right, because of modern medicine I am HERE to be bored.

Tracy, I don't think I would walk the football field with out a partner since it is isolated! It might be a lovely place to walk if you could find someone to walk with, though.

• Like 1

Well,just keep coming to the Forum,Jerene-just when you think it isn't possible,it will UN-bore you in a snap! lol

This topic has inspired me to get more exercise and I was all set to do my big walk today. I even bypassed my mailbox driving home,like a good girl,as it's a good distance up the lane from my trailer and I was going walk back and check the mail and start there. But the county guys decided today was the one day to mow the side of our little dirt road-kicking up dust and pebbles and all-right where I needed to walk. So I burned a small pile of rubbish instead and walked around and around the yard away from it until it was done and by that time the mower was finished! Then by the time I did go get my mail,it was time to start supper! Well,I guess even a small walk counts. Will just start again tomorrow!

• Like 1

Small walks count too! It's the movement and doing it regularly :)

I've managed to keep doing two walks around the lake (2.5 miles) twice a week for the last three weeks or so. Hurray. Hips hurt but the pups and DH love it! I really like walking around the lake; the neighborhood is great, but the lake is better :)

• Like 1

Oooh,you live near a lake,Debora? That would be my dream spot! I don't care to swim,boat,fish,or any other water activity-crazy,I know-but lakes and the surroundings are usually such awesome places! Now,that would have me walking for sure!

• Like 1

Oooh,you live near a lake,Debora? That would be my dream spot! I don't care to swim,boat,fish,or any other water activity-crazy,I know-but lakes and the surroundings are usually such awesome places! Now,that would have me walking for sure!

The lake is a regional park about a 15 minute drive from our home, so we pack up the pups and go there. Probably one of the cheapest, best investments (in ourselves) that we've made has been to join as park members. The parking pass gets us in free to all the regional parks and is good for one year. :)

• Like 2

Back from cardiac rehab. I really like going, and I love, love, love the recumbent bike. I like doing it, I like the way it feels, and I like how I feel after I'm finished. I will not be doing the regular exercise bike anymore. My sit down started hurting a lot quicker this time, so Monday we are going to try the elliptical thingy instead. I feel good, really, really good. Physically, mentally and emotionally!

So when I got home, I checked on the mail. My clamps are here! Whoo Hoooo. I can start playing with some itty bitty stuff this weekend.

Kat, walking around the yard is good. We have a burn ban in our town, we can't even burn leaves in the fall.

Debora, walking around the lake sounds so nice, but the hip pain, not so much. I would love to see some pictures of where you walk. (hint hint nudge nudge) LOL

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

• Like 1

.......the elliptical thingy ...

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

I always liked the elliptical trainer and recumbent bike when I was a gym member. Jerene, it sounds like you are making great progress! Walking is my exercise of choice these days. It gets me out in the fresh air, relaxes me, and is gentle enough on the joints. You've gotta keep moving! :)

Debora, yep, gotta keep moving. I have fibro, arthritis in my knees and hips, and now this. I'm feeling a little hip pain this afternoon, took some tramadol and will see how it goes. If there is too much pain, physical therapy is going to help tailor a program that will allow the physical workout I need to heal my heart, but not cause problems in other areas. Kind of a tightrope we're walking right now. I don't want to have to back off of the intensity of the workouts, especially right now when the healing is taking place.

After I got in from work today I started back down the lane to get the mail and walk a bit. Now,I have a neighbor on only one side of me,and going in that direction. The FedEx guy was just backing out of the neighbor's drive and as I got closer he asked me if it was_______'s address and said MY full name! He had left my latest Ashley kit on their porch! Yikes! He went back and retrieved it and put it on my porch while I went on to the mailbox. He apologized profusely to me and I guess it would've been okay,as they are my landlord's tenants, too,and seem to be nice people,etc. But I was so glad I was there just at that moment!

Jerene,You mentioned having a burn ban. I can't be around burning leaves at all with my allergies,so we don't ever burn them! If we have a burn ban now,then the whole town must be violating it!lol We have to pay for garbage pick up out here,something I didn't have to do for 27 years at my last place,and here it's from private individuals with little more than a pick up truck with fenced in sides on it-it's really redneck here!

So,we have a spot for compost,the cats get scraps,we recycle glass and plastic-my son takes it over to his dad's for free pick up,I give my sister our aluminum cans,and my son takes a small bag of the other garbage left over to his dads' every week for (free) garbage pick up. What I was burning yesterday was a couple of large cardboard boxes and some junk mail papers that had been left on my porch too long. I won't allow discarded cardboard to stay inside my home,(Everything that comes in cardboard boxes goes into plastic bags or plastic storage boxes) since roaches feed on cardboard. By doing this I haven't had any-yet! (Crossing my fingers!) You do whatcha gotta do! ^_^

Now,on to see what this new kit will 'say' to me! :D Whoops! I did get a walk in,by the way,so that ties this post into the topic,hopefully! Sorry!

Edited by kat57

I added 2 minutes to my exercise, it is now 5-12-5. Hip is a little sore, but tolerable. Yesterday the high was in the upper 80's today, high in the low 60's, so I could do my walking outside again. Nice, very nice.

I don't have enough of a garden anymore, to compost, Kat. If I still had a huge one, I would certainly do major composting. My garden this year was two tomato plants.

Your new Ashley is home! This is for the pizza parlor?

I only have flowers-never was any good at growing food! lol But,what I call 'compost' is really still just an informal pile on one side of the backyard,where the woods start-just a place we started to put veg and fruit scraps and some dead branches when we moved here last year...I wish I was good at growing tomatoes-but I don't want to waste food,so I haven't tried in a long time!

The air is so nice out today! But oyster shells on a dirt road are hard on the old feet! I'll have to get some better,cheap shoes than the old cheap no name shoes I have!lol I want to walk a little every day until I get a good habit going and then I think I'll go for bigger walks. I thought I wanted a partner,but I think I like being alone better,as long as I don't go too far off just before dark...

No,Jerene,this is actually Ashley #3! And when I held the box yesterday,one thing came to mind-"Kara". I don't personally know anyone with that name...?!?

When DH & I began hiking we discovered we could no longer afford to wear cheap shoes. My first pair of hiking boots were Montrails and you don't want to know how much they cost; but I finally had to retire them last year, after more than eight years and I don't know how many hundreds of miles of mountains, sandy beaches, tree roots and stony creek crossings they logged; the soles were still OK but the leather on the uppers had begun to split and peel!

Hmmm, oops, missed a couple of days. Sunday was my one day that I don't exercise. Yesterday I did rehab, I can't do the elliptical. It makes my knee hurt after just a few rotations. I'm sticking with the recumbent bike and the treadmill for now. They have a new exercise bike ordered, and it is a different brand than the ones there. When it gets there I'll give it a try.

I did my walking outside today, it was nice and cool this morning and the birds were twittering away.

• Like 1