Daily Exercise Journal

lmgervais

Great jobs everyone! I love hearing about everyone's progress, it's so inspiring!

Holly, do take care and I hope you are feeling better soon!

I skipped yesterday, which I usually do since it is co-op day and that leaves me no real time. Today I did a light walk, since my back is acting up. It's not bad, but I'm trying to keep it from getting bad. I think it's from having to carry Sushi up & down the stairs, so I am babying it.

Sorry to hear about your ankle and foot, Holly. Hope it gets better quickly.

Liza, it's great that you and your daughter are having so much fun with this special time together - what a super role model you are.

It's very interesting to read about everyone's approaches to their exercises.

Jeffrey, please be careful not to injure yourself - that would undo all the good you've already done, plus you could be laid up with no chance to exercise.

Heidi, it will be the Three Musketeers - without the chocolate bar.

I have actually lost three pounds - which is very good.

Tracy, we don't have Dollar Tree here, but I will look for a pedometer in the Dollar stores that we do have. I really do like the idea of keeping track of my steps.

A close family member died last night ... I just couldn't find the drive to take a walk today. Sorry.

Rosalind,

There is no need to be sorry for not taking a walk. A death is one of those 'extra-ordinary' circumstances where the regular rules of daily life don't always matter. Be kind to yourself. Take the time you need and, when you are up to it, go for a little walk tomorrow, or the next day, or the next - there is no rush here.

Hugs :yes:

Just got back from my walk. Wasn't too sure that I would do it this morning as I was still really tired when I woke up and wanted to turn over and go back to sleep, but I did it. Now I can go back to bed and try and sleep while I wait for everyone else to wake up.

I got in late last night but still did my Cardio X before bed! I stayed up and read a little afterward and I just finished working My Shoulders Arm and Abs so I'll just walk 1 mile this evening I hope. Tomorrow is Yoga! I hate Yoga cause I am not as flexable as I used to be :wave:

Tracy that is dedication! Good for you!

I walked at 2 flea markets today, it was level ground and slower than usual, but about 90 minutes all together before it started raining. Didn't find anything, but didn't spend anything either! :wave:

Thanks, Tracy. :wave:

I had to do a lot of shopping today, and purposely parked a long way from each store, in every parking lot. It lifted my spirits to think I was adding in many short walks to my day.

Belated condolences, Rosalind, the news just sunk in. I found with the last family loss that activity helped me work through the grief; I could cry while I walked/ worked out and people would leave me alone, figuring I was just working at it.

I did short hobbles around the parking lot at the beach whilst the hikers hiked. The restrooms were up some fairly steep stairs and to one end there was an observation platform where I could stand with binoculars and watch them all standing, staring at jellyfish.

I worked all day in the kitchen and was on my feet. I consider that exercise for today.

Tracy, the more you sssttttrrreeetttcccchhhhh the easier it will become. I am surprised that I am still able to touch my toes. Back in the day...hehehe I could sit on the floor, legs apart, and lay almost flat down in front of me. I was a Limber Lucy. I am going to do the beginners yoga dvd tomorrow in the morning.

Monday will be our first day together at the gym. We do not know if Ana will be going. Her kids will be away for Spring vacation and she is off work (she drives a school bus) so she is going to go cold turkey off of cigarettes.

She may not be very fun to be with for the next couple of days so we will give her that..LOL

I picked a quit date of May 1st. That is the day our state will raise the tax on cigs. Right now I pay $6.66 plus add another 62 cent Fed tax. That is for ONE pack. So I have gone down to half a pack a day out of necessity. Cannot afford it anymore. I called the quitline thru the state and they are sending me 2 months of nico gum for free.

So exercise and stopping smoking. This is going to be very interesting.. :p

I picked a quit date of May 1st. That is the day our state will raise the tax on cigs. Right now I pay $6.66 plus add another 62 cent Fed tax. That is for ONE pack. So I have gone down to half a pack a day out of necessity. Cannot afford it anymore. I called the quitline thru the state and they are sending me 2 months of nico gum for free.

So exercise and stopping smoking. This is going to be very interesting.. :p

Heidi - smoking? Why oh why? Not good for your health at all. The sooner you quit the better, and keep to it!

And everyone else - STOP SMOKING for everyone's sake!

Go! Liza! Today it felt SO good NOT to wake up at 0430. After a leisurely breakfast I walked down to the campground laundromat and washed a load of clothes to see us until we get home Tuesday, and then DH got his bike & my trike out and we rode around the campground a few circuits to see how my right leg was behaving, thinking we'd take the tandem 'Dale over to the beach tomorrow & ride from Navarre Beach to Pensacola Beach & back; but the sky is already turning dark gray & he has put the toys back into their places. <SIGH!> It looks like we'll go over to Pensacola and walk the stores, if it pours down rain, as forecast...

At least my leg is working properly and we did get over to ft Walton Beach to walk around the Temple Mound and the two parks at the Sound, aand I got loved on by one of the tiniest dachshunds I have ever met! He had one blue eye and one brown & his name is "Rocky".

I was up late (and then, up very early) preparing for the family Easter. It is strange to "celebrate" when grieving, but there are young children to consider - so we had the requisite Easter Egg Hunt - plus, it helps to keep busy, as you said, Holly. I was on my feet most of the day, just like Heidi. It certainly does feel like I did a total body workout. I plan to take a nice walk tomorrow morning. :wub:

Liza, you are doing such a wonderful job - I think you are definitely hooked on your walks. Bravo. :D

Got my walk in today and it was great!

Rosalind, I know what you mean, it is strange to have a "holiday" right now isn't it? My mother passed away on the 4th of July when my oldest was a baby, and my Grandmother the day before Thanksgiving 5 years ago. We did what we could for the kids that Thanksgiving to feel just a little normal. And it does help to stay busy.

Hope your family will feel some peace and healing soon.

Today my Mom, Dad, and I walked a mile outside together. My sister couldn't come b/c she had to work. We can't walk very fast b/c my Mom has an ankle injury from years ago that gives her trouble. My Dad has to wrap her ankle in ace bandages before we walk and I've been trying to teach her stretches to do to strengthen her legs. We walk at a decent enough pace to get the heart pumping so that makes me feel better. We're all just kind of down right now and worried about my Dad's heart cath that is coming up on the 30th. I'm praying that all will go well and that this walking routine that we've gotten ourselves into will continue on to be a lifelong change. My parents are wanting me to come over this week and sign some insurance papers - which FREAKS me out, but anyway, enough about that.

I'm going to start bringing my jogging pants and shoes with me to work that way I can go straight to my parents house when I get off work and we can walk together. Sometimes if I go home myself then I don't feel like getting back out to walk so hopefully that will solve my problem.

Anyway, good luck to all those out there who are working towards more healthy lives!

Got my walk in already this morning. As it gets towards morning, I start waking up more and more often, so I just wait until it is light enough out (~6 am), then throw on some clothes and go for a walk.

Walked on a path through an older treed section for a bit, and found some nice branches to add to my collection waiting for the re-hab house to be done.

Jessie, start with short walks with your parents if necessary. The hardest part is finding a regular time to do it. On school days, I walk with my daughter to her bus stop, then continue on after her bus arrives. So, I was worried about the weekends. However, I've gone through two weekends now and found that the best time for me then was as soon as I wake up when it is light enough to walk. It's generally pretty peaceful outside, except for the birds. And, once I'm done, I climb back into my pj's and get back into bed, and often take a nap after breakfast. Just find what's right for you and keep doing it - I've heard that after three weeks of doing something, it becomes a habit!

I found this website last year and I think it might help you all that are walking the neighborhood. It is called WalkJogRun.net. You put in your starting address and then you click up top and chose to create a route. Start where ever you start..From your house or at the bus stop. Then you start clicking your route out..you will see it follow your clicks. You can find out how far you are walking, you can map out a mile or two, you can find out how many calories you are burning, etc.

Just fiddle with the site and you will see what I am talking about. I had a walking route in my neighborhood and found out that I was actually walking 1 mile. I would love to do it again but I have to wait until I find out what is wrong with my foot.

Off to the gym today. If either one of them punk out..I will go by myself.

Great job everyone!

I will probably skip walking today. Meeting my dad for his birthday, baking shortbread for him now, at least half a dozen errands to run, helping DD study for an exam, starting Sushi on his new meds, and getting everything ready for a looooong field trip to DC tomorrow will be all I can fit in today! At least I can be sure I'll have plenty of exercise tomorrow!