Where do you order your dollhouses from

firef2005

I was wondering where people get their dollhouse kits. I've been looking at DollhousesGalore.com, their prices seem to be some of the most affordable, but can anyone tell me if this is a reputable site, have you used them before, and what was your opinion?

I dont know about that co. but the most reputable place I know of to buy kits from....aside from a local hobby shop (check phone book listings,call and ask if they carry dollhouses,most train shop/hobby shops do) is Hobby Builders Supply. Theyve been around for a loooong time. You can search the website at www.miniatures.com Internet orders automatically get 10%off. Often they have other sales going too.Also make sure you request their free catalogue,which will give you a very good idea of what kits are out there,and how much they go for. You can also purchase right from Greenleaf.

I only buy dollhouse kits from Greenleaf and Miniatures.com. I dont trust anyone else but these places for kits. Both have great shipping and no billing hassles. I bought one dollhouse kit from Overstock.com, to try them out, and I had a good experience.

Im paranoid when it comes to dollhouse kits. I want to make sure that they have been packaged and stored correctly so that the wood has not been exposed to the elements. I like to know that the kit is sealed and has not been previously opened because I dont want to deal with missing or broken parts when I get ready to build. I also like to know that Im getting what I paid for from people that actually know what theyre doing. I hate mislabeled houses or not having the full list of details that come with the kit. I rather pay a little more and get my house from a reputable place than try to go for a bargain and end up with major problems.

Greenleaf for my Brookwood,; my Garfield came from Overstock.com; Brimble and Washington are rehabs from eBay; Tennyson was in a local thrift store; my Emerson Row and Country Cottage were bought from someone here on this site. My roomboxes from a friend-of-a-friend :(

www.miniatures.com has a coupon out for april 1st for 40% off one item. You can get on their e-mailing list and also sign up for the free catalog that you get in the snail mail. You can order online, by phone or mail. The coupon code for april 1st is N1209. It is worth getting the catalog just for the eye candy.

I bought my Glencroft at a local grocery store! This was years ago and they were pushing Christmas presents that year. There it was $40. It seems so absurd to get a dollhouse kit in a grocery store!

My Heritage and DC Farmhouse came from local thrift stores for only $10 each. The Heritage was still sealed, the Farmhouse opened, but only missing the instructions (which I purchased on ebay) and the plastic window sheet. My Gazebo was a $4.00 thrift store find, built, needing some pieces replaced but beautiful and worth the effort. Two other small house kits I found at thrift stores for $5.00 each years ago. I built one for the church Christmas bazaar; since it was so tiny, and (at that time in 1990 my enthusiasm for dollhouses was in decline) so I gave the other back to the thrift store (I could shoot myself now!)

My Newberg was a local classified find for $40, sealed.

My Tennyson, San Francisco, Brookfield, and Pierce (rehab houses) were all in the local classified site (though I spotted the Pierce through Craigslist before discovering the local classified site). The Sweet

Cottage was a $4.00 thrift store find, built, which I gave to my niece.

Locally, the television station's classified site has more dollhouses than Craigslist, so you might see if your community has a site which locals prefer over Craigslist.

I have purchased from Overstock.com and Orange Onions. Orange Onions (from their website) will ship free if you purchase a certain dollar level. Either outfit is reputable and you should have no fear in buying from them.

Since I like many different houses from lots of different manufacturers (perhaps it's a fidelity issue), when I decide on a house I shop around until I find a deal I like...I have 5 or 6 houses that have each come from a different place and I was very happy with the product and service of every one!

Ebay is where I've bought most of mine, though you do have the concern of missing parts, or instructions. I've only had one problem there, and it wasn't the seller's fault, it was a manufacturing error. And fortunately, someone here on the forum was able to help me with that one.

I've gotten kits from people here and HBS/miniatures.com. No problems with either one, of course. I've bought shingles and siding from GL and no problem there either.

Terri

• 3 years later...

I've ordered several directly from Greenleaf. Shipping is free for orders over $49 and they are very fast and I can track the shipment and as you know, they stand behind their products.. I've made lots of eBay purchases (not houses, but have a bid pending on one) and all of those experiences have been good. Amazingly, the two purchases I made through Amazon's portal were both complete fails! Unless the item is shipping from Amazon, I've stopped using them.

I have ordered from Greenleaf and Hobby Builders Supply as well as Dejoux's (Montclair). I have ordered through ebay and Amazon as well with good luck. Early on I ordered The Tudor Coaching House from Maple Street in the UK and have ordered other things from them as well. Would not order a dollhouse again only because the shipping was high (But I really wanted it!) but their other stuff was certainly more affordable. Love Dollhouse Emporium and now they have a US site, All sites have provided good service and I would not hesitate to order again.