New in Chicago

Lillian

Hi,

I'm Lillian from Chicago. My kids have all grown and left and I've decided to try my hand at miniatures. They've always fascinated me since I was a kid...I used to build furniture for my Barbies out of cardboard. I've ordered my first kit...the Buttercup, and I want to transform it into my little hideaway by the lake. So any suggestions, warnings...what do I do once I open the box?

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum, Lillian, and to a MOST addictive obsess.., er, HOBBY!

any suggestions, warnings...what do I do once I open the box?

First you read the forum, using the "search" button PRN, because a lot of your questions have been asked by other folks (like me, too) and other questions you haven't thought to ask yet.

Unless you're holding sandpaper in your hand, pet the wood with extreme caution whilst you read over the instructions. I have built the Buttercup several times (and sold them), including with a "tin" roof.

Welcome to the forum Lillian!

I have no suggestions, but I look forward to seeing pix of your progress. However, I think others have pictures of their Buttercups in the Gallery, if that will help you.

And what you do after you open the box is have fun!

Hi Lillian,

Welcome to the wonderful world of minis! Wish I could answer some of your questions - I have a Buttercup waiting to be built but haven't gotten to her yet. The best thing I'd say is when you open the box read the instructions twice - then do a lot of dry fitting. I use a lot of masking tape to hold the pieces together so I can visually see where I'm going before I do any gluing. And don't be afraid to ask questions. You'll probably find lots of answers by doing the search that Holly suggested but if you don't find the answers or if you find an answer but are still unclear about it - ask away! No one will get mad if you ask something that's already been answered - Sometimes I need to hear things two or three times before they finally sink into this thick ol' skull of mine :)

-David

Welcome Lillian! It's nice to meet you!

So any suggestions, warnings...what do I do once I open the box?

Be prepared to become addicted. :) This is a *very* addictive hobby. Before you know it, you'll be stashing kits under the bed.......rescuing things from the trash because "this will make a fantastic <insert whatever>"..........planning the house you're going to build four houses from now.........and reading the forum first thing in the morning. <giggling> And it's the most wonderful and delightful addiction on the face of the earth.

On the practical side, as the others have said, read the instructions and then put the house together in a "dry fit" (held together with tape instead of glue as practice run) Then sit back and look at it from all angles and visualize what it will look like when it's done. That will help you to plan where things go and what colors and wallpaper, etc you'll be doing as you go along. The house will talk to you while it's in dry fit and offer all kinds of suggestions about what it wants to have done. :lol: A little lake hideaway sounds like a delightful way to build a Buttercup.

We're here to lend support, answer questions and cheer you on!

Deb

Wow, this is just wonderful. In just a short time I've made so many friends!!! I'm going to like this. Thank you all so much for your input...and I have started to browse the site and can see there is a lot to learn.

:D Believe me, I will be on here a lot.

Welcome Lillian. When you get started take lots of pictures, we love to see them. The forum is made up of from the very experienced to the beginner, but we all learn from each others questions and suggestions. The forum also periodically holds classes which are very enjoyable. There is a section that hold tutorials for all sorts of different things--from making curtains to electrifying the dollhouse.

So hold on and enjoy the hobby.