Dee in MA

Hi-

I'm new here and furthermore, I've had to be guided to get here, so look out!!!

I will be known to some of you from other forums such as THE CAMP, Small Stuff, and Half Scale and possibly even swap groups. My signature is usually DEE in MA.

I have not as yet put together a Greenleaf but I have admired the kits for some time. I even won a half inch scale Fairfield kit at Ebay but I was convinced it was one of the old kits so I sold it. Shhhhhhh don't say that too loudly.

I assume most of you have listed something about your interests so here goes. I am a seller at Ebay (deedee0718) and I dabble in doing room settings in three scales: one inch, half inch and 144" scale. I do dress miniature porcelain dolls as well as Heidi Ott's little lovelies. There really is no type of miniature work I dislike. It is such a marvelous hobby. i don't seem to do much for myself though. Working on things to sell takes all of my spare time.

I am a retired Special Needs teacher. After 35 years in the profession, I was offered an Early Retirement in the form of a State Law and took the oportunity. I was reayd to retire, I might add.

Looking forward to hearing from those of you I know as well as some of you I have not yet met.

Can't resist adding that I am getting to go to Molly Cromwell's Sturbridge Show tomorrow. LOL!!!

Bye for now.

DEE in MA

Hi, Dee! You made it!

Comparing my experience with other rumors, the old Fairfields (from when Greenleaf was under other ownership) are not the same quality as the new, retooled Fairfields. I had a complete disaster with my 20-year-old Fairfield kit, but the Arthur I'm working on went right together with minimal trouble.

Welcome, Dee, One of the many joys of being retired is having time to work on your own minis! :unsure:

We have members who work in weveral different scales, so I'm sure your input will be most helpful.

Here's what happened... Greenleaf went through a bunch of changes in ownership over the last 25 years or so, which is why you'll sometimes see houses labeled Tyco or other brands, but looking just like familiar Greenleaf models. Some of the kits floating around on eBay are from the "other ownership" period. Quality varies on those.

Mini Man can give you accurate dates, since it's his company -- but basically, within the last few years, Greenleaf was rebought by its original owners (who also own Corona Concepts). One of the big projects was to retool the die-cutting machines so that the sheets of wood would come out with nice crisp, accurate perforations. My sense is that they improved the quality of the wood as well, though it's hard to compare new wood and old wood.

Certainly, my Arthur kit had very accurate perforations: the only trimming I had to do was the tabs, which tend to be a little tight for the slots if you're not armed with a hammer. It was nothing like the nightmare of missing and misfitted pieces that I had with the old Fairfield kit. I also had a lot less trouble with trim bits falling apart, on the Arthur. I'm not using a lot of the trim, but this time it's by my choice, rather than because it's unusable.