4/9/06 Homework

Homework  

10 members have voted

1. 1. School Kids Today receive....

• Too Much Homework
    • Not Enough Homework
    • The right amount of homework

I think my girls get the right amount. Mabyn, a freshman, does her homework during her lunch break and during her ride home. Sometimes she will do her homework in another class if there is free time with no assignment for that hour. Alysia's teacher (4th grade) doesn't give homework unless an assignement grade is too low, then she sends it home to get redone. Mabyn got more school work when she was homeschooled, IMO.

My kids are grown, but from what I observed in the elementary schools I worked in recently it didn't seem ro matter how much homework the kids got, the ones who were "into" getting an education did it, the ones with concerned parents got help, and the ones who didn't care didn't do theirs. In neither case did it seem to help with passing the newer standardized tests, and now we have SAT's not being properly graded!

I agree with Holly here. Amanda gets enough homework, and now has a great teacher. But with the inept SAT tests, it's a wonder the kids ever learn anything, they spend so much time having to pass these tests. Whatever happened to the good old fashioned way, if you flunked you flunked? Nowadays the ways the tests are arranged, a student doing well can do lousy on the test, and not pass.

This is a soapbox for me, I apologize. Chris & I spend alot of time with Amanda's mom & stepdad making sure her grades come first, and Holly is right--it's work for those concerned with getting an education.

I cannot add to the poll because I have two answers to the question.

1.) I think they get too much homework: My dd Natalie is in 7th grade at a Magnet school (sissy went there too). It is for arts and communication. Example of too much homework. This month she has to do a orbital (big time presentation) on an invention. She chose eyeglasses. I have received a list of dates and what is to be finished and when. The list is 3 pages long! Now I wouldnt consider that alot but she also has to do another report on a sports figure (Mike Tyson. I think she chose him cause her baby dog is named Tyson).

Chelsea has AP English. Remember the fiasco with thoreau and emerson? She had to read 4 stories, dissect them and write theme, audience, style, main idea, purpose, tone, diction, and literary techniques on each AND include relevent passages for each from the stories. I NEEDED a shot of tequilla after that one. These are including their other homework.

2.) I think they dont get enough homework: Ever since No child left behind, alot of kids are being left behind!

I praise the teachers for trying so hard to teach the kids, but they HAVE to teach them stuff for the tests. Natalie doesnt know how to puncuate, construct a proper sentence, spelling is atrocious (better then b4), took her a long time to be able to form words correctly to read, and I had to teach her how to use a dictionary. I found out that this is the norm. Chelsea is different. She knows all these things but I dont think it has to do with brain capacity. There wasnt any NCLB when she was in elementary school.

I had Nat evaluated and they feel she is able to do the work. I do too but she will struggle because of things that were glossed over.

Boy, this soapbox is high! I can see all the way to NYC from here! LOL

I am very PRO education. That is the only way you are going to better yourself! You slack off on housework.. Eh! You slack off on schoolwork... Fear the wrath of MOM!

I couldn't really answer the poll - for several reasons. First off my son is not your average kid.. so he didn't have your average teacher or average homework. But I do remember being in school and how hard it was for me as a kid trying to keep up with homework and other kids. I'm really glad that today teachers (most of them) are at least aware of dyslexia even if they don't really understand alot about it. My dad is smart guy - he can fix anything, he's designed equipment for the plant he worked at that saved them time and money - when he was in the service they sent him to extended military school because he tested so high on some of their tests.. but when he was in high school they sent him to a special school for dumb kids... because he had trouble reading. All through school they told my sister that she was stupid and they told me I was lazy. The truth is is none of us are stupid or lazy but we do have different forms of dyslexia. So Enlgish homework - pile it on I coudl breeze through it! Math homework?... no matter how much they sent home I couldn't learn because I can't multiply so I never could get past that in school and I wasn't diagnosed till college.

I think kids who are motivated and excited about what they're learning Want to learn and Want to get the good grades and Want to learn more. Kids who are struggling aren't going to feel any better about school by teachers piling on homework to try to make them do more. If anything should be changed I think it should be that teachers are required to get report cards from A) the parents of students :) the students and C) the district based on a review of how their classes are doing and how good a job they are at teaching. I really hate tenure - I've seen more teachers who are terrible and have multiple parental complaints against them but they have tenure so they're still teaching classes even though they could care less about the students who end up with them. My nephew was in one class where 3/4 of the class was getting F's or D's... and these are bright kids who are getting A's and B's in other classes... when 3/4 of a class is failing it isn't the kids - it's the teacher.

-David

Ever since No child left behind, alot of kids are being left behind!

Math homework?... no matter how much they sent home I couldn't learn because I can't multiply so I never could get past that in school and I wasn't diagnosed till college.

-David

Alysia's principal hates the No Child Left behind act. She has to finagal things around to get her students the help they need without it being on the record. Alysia is one of those students. According to the school experts she is doing as well as expected and doesn't qualify for special services even though our privatley paid psycologist says she does. She does well while they are learning something, but once they move on to a new subject she forgets it all. Once I got the principal to understand that she couldn't recall information taught to her two months ago, we were able to get her the help she needed and placed back in the 4th grade. Alysia has a severe math disability(she can't add or subtract if it involves carrying or borrowing) and her cognitive development during the 3rd grade stalled. Her long term memory is almost non-exsitant. Living with Alysia is kinda like 50 First Dates, we do a lot of repeats.

I voted but I feel my kids dont get enough homework Bradley is in 4 grade and has Math and Spelling for homework and that is about it. Rebecca is in 2 grade and she is a straight A student and I feel that she is capable of doing harder work. When Bradley brings home papers for me to look over and if there are questions wrong Rebecca will take the papers erase the wrong answers and correct them(4 grade work) but the school wont push her up a level and I have been fighting with them about this. Bradley has trouble reading and there fore school work comes alot harder for him but he never brings home any reading homework. I think the NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND program is ok but can be improved also with all these state tests the kids have to take are ONLY based on reading and Math what ever happend to Social Studies and Science classes?? My kids hardly ever bring home anything on those 2 subjects. I ask them what they are learning in those subjects and I get strange looksThere also was a brief discussion on this on 60 minutes.

It really must depend on the state & district where your child is, in my opinion. I am passionate about education, because the No child left behind would not have been necessary, had it not been for mandatory SOL tests. I have looked at alot of Amanda's homework and find that though they stress math, geometry, english, etc. they really gloss over the basics. For example, Amanda called counting on her fingers (in the 1st & 2nd grade) 'punch' math. I asked her what is that, and she quickly 'counted' on her fingers in five tables. :) Long division was given another kooky name. She basically learned her multiplication tables on her own, simply because they did not make her write them out, and recite them as we had to in the fourth grade. It took all of us working with her in the fourth grade, and quizzing her for her to get it, and I'm glad to say she did, and now helps a younger child with her tables.

I feel they really should start kids with a foreign language in grade school, like Spanish, French, German, or even Japanese. This should be a major requirement. I'm very thankful that Amanda has a teacher that stresses good writing skills and grammar, which I've noticed that few of her teachers have done in the past. Call me old fashioned, but kids should be prepared for the working world, not just this or next year's SOL tests.