4/8/09 If You Could Make A Difference....

Wow ... such beautiful hearts sharing themselves!

Several years ago, while driving, I found an old woman laying beside the road in the gravel. I was thinking the worst, but thank the Gods she was (only) scuffed-up pretty badly, bruised and bleeding, and obviously disoriented. I and other drivers who stopped tended to her and found out later she was an 'escapee' from a nearby nursing home (how do these things happen?). They retrieved and cared for her and she was doing well last I knew.

My daughter and I retrieved a small family of baby ducks whose mother was (purposefully, we knew, as the crime was witnessed) run over in the road. We called Nature's Nursey who came and took them in.

I was in a MVA 20+ years ago and was given the opportunity to 'die' about three times. I choose to remain, but decided then that, had I died, I was going to be an organ-donor. It just seemed that I had things that might be useful to others ... I wouldn't be needing them anymore! LOL

My mother died of breast cancer at age 74. When she came to me with the lump, I knew the prognosis, and our roles were reversed. She was a 'difficult' woman on her best days, but I did my best to get her good care and make her as comfortable as she would allow. My mother became my daughter and my friend, and we shared with each other things we might never have otherwise. A give-and-take.

We collect too much stuff in our home. We go through the rooms, pile it up, and give it all away - to Goodwill, Salvation Army, local charities, friends, and family. A couple years later, when more stuff has accumulated, we do it again. And again, and again.

Do what you can when you can. Pay it forward and remember, what goes around comes around.

Sometimes I think it's all the little things that people do that make a difference. Smiling at a stranger, listening to someone who has troubles, a gentle pat on the shoulder or a little hug for someone who is lonely or blue.........those things can all make a big difference. It might not be a life altering difference, but then again you never know. Quite often we never realize just how much our casual actions can effect other people.

When Bruce and I moved to Denver, we met a young man who was struggling to get by after leaving home as a teenager. He wasn't in a good situation at the time and we got him a better job and moved him in next door to us. It wasn't long before our friendship with Lee evolved into a parent/child relationship. We adopted him as our own and provided a kind of family that he'd never had before. He needed financial and physical support, but more than that, he needed unconditional love and emotional support. It was just natural to provide those things for him because we loved him so much. When we lost Lee to AIDS at the age of 27, a lot of people told us how much of a difference we made in his life. But the thing that they didn't see was how much of a difference he had made in OUR lives. More than anything else, I look back at Lee and think of what wonderous blessings we receive when we reach out to help someone in need.

Deb

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I think it's all the little things that people do that make a difference. Smiling at a stranger, listening to someone who has troubles, a gentle pat on the shoulder or a little hug for someone who is lonely or blue.........those things can all make a big difference. It might not be a life altering difference, but then again you never know. Quite often we never realize just how much our casual actions can effect other people.

I agree... I try to help out elderly as much as possible... I never really thought about this before... but now that I do.. I actually do alot for others that I overlook..... I am always taking boxes of clothes, household items, toys, crafts and anything else I can find to the thrift stores.!! I usually send a box or two every month.!!!! I have 4 boxes all ready from april & May.!!!

Kellee