4/5/06 How Do You View Your Pet?

We have a Bichon, a Malti-poo and 2 Basset hounds. The bassets think they're lap dogs also. One will climb up, then the other gets jealous and climbs up, then the Malti-poo jumps up. I don't know how the recliner doesn't just give out and fall apart under all that weight (including my husband). The bigger basset likes to climb all the way up and wrap her short legs around your neck and put her face on your shoulder. It's like being smothered. They are such lovable pups.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jeanne, actually Nova is a male. Thanks for the compliments though. I always tell him that he is a 'pretty' boy!

I feel a little guilty however, we actually have another Siamese male, Kovu who is chocolate brown, but I didn't use his picture. I will have to find a way of using his image too.

post-6410-1296585340_thumb.jpg

Always loved the exotic cats. We never had any of them just common types. My gran had a big white Persian that was the meanest thing, but she really loved him. We have always had dogs since DH is allergic to cats. Our oldest smuggled in a kitten into the house when he was on a trip and we did not discover it until he came home and nearly wound up in the hospital with bad reaction and difficulty in breathing. She was broken hearted but we had no choice to find another home for it. She and SIL now have four cats.

Oh, do I ever know about cat allergies! DS#3 has three VERY affectionate feline fur babies, and they all want pets and lovies whenever we go over there, and I always leave with my head totally congested.

Not that there are sides, but I totally understand you Kitten. My dogs are part of my life, a big part, but they are not my children. I don't have any children, so I come home to them, and they are what I am raising and caring for,but they are not people to me. I hug them, and kiss them on the top of their heads, but I really don't want them licking me in the face, especially after they eat the cat poop. I don't want hair on my clothes, in my bed or in my minis, I don't want butt in my face. I have german shepherds, big ones, and they are not always house dogs, they do have enclosed and heated kennels. They don't sleep on my bed, not because I won't let them, they are too big and probably can't stand my constant moving. They have dog beds, crates, and dog houses. I don't use theirs, they don't use mine.

I wash my hands as much as I can, and still periodically I break out in hives after touching them. But as long as I am able, I will never be without my dogs, even if I have to carry a pack of Benadryl every where I go.

When they do something wrong, they fall into the just animal category. I remember they are animals, prone to impulsiveness, and then I am less likely to want to correct them (harshly) or take it personally. Though they are clearly more sensible than some people I know.

Sam, perhaps you can just swap the pictures out, manually. I may do the same thing with my gang, since I don't want to show favoritism..I have five more furkids waiting their turn as avatars.

Oooo, Kovu is gorgeous too!

J

• 6 months later...
Well, I asked our three cats and one dog, and they tell me I'm a member of the family. What a relief! :-)

LOL too funny! I think that is how most pets are. Hubby says it's creepy that my cats meow "Mama" when I walk into a room. I think it's pretty funny.

Well, I agree that all four of my cats are "C"s. I pay the rent, they live there. . and allow me to stay also, but I might add on their terms . . HA HA.

Scottie is approximately 18 years, with some health problems, Wylie is approx. 13 with the beginnings of kidney problems, Kitty B is a BIG BLACK CAT that could be construed as a small panther, not joke here. . she weighs approx 25 pounds. BIG CAT. Sits where she wants trust me . . and then there is Tipper, found her in the yard next door, someone tossed her out of a car . . about 8 years ago . . All of them are rescue . . plus I feed two homeless at my house and I drive approx 3 blocks each morning to feed two other homeless cats. Yep, they are my kids, I have no real kids. When one of the outdoor cats did not come around for two days, I was upset. But I finally came to the conclusion, that maybe she found a good home . . had to think that . . .then she appeared again . . was glad to see her. I like dogs also, but have always had cats. I am sorry for the lady who had to take her pets to the Humane Society. I would be also very upset. I know people who have lost their jobs, and they can no longer feed their pets or care for them and they also had to do that. I know that has to hurt big time. I am an animal person . . miniatures, dollhouses and CATS. . that's my life expect for working with the best boss in the world (20 years). Yep definately a "C" "C " "C" . . . . Hope you all have a good day with your loving pets.

My dog Ignatius is for sure a "c" . He is just as bad as the children are and often gets blamed for their misdeeds. He is the one that always leaves the door open, forgets to flush, leaves the empty orange juice carton in the fridge and somehow ordered the ufc fight on directtv. He is also amazingly talented and wrote lots of letter Q's all over the hallway wall in blue sharpie while I wasn't looking and logged online to the pizza hut and ordered pizza for everyone (he's thoughtful like that). Other than that he gets the lion's share of the bed and snores loudly in my ear, he gives big sloppy kisses and I wouldn't trade him for the world.

Hmm,

Defintely all ours are family, some have more 'privileges' than others-LOL!

Annie- my oldest horse, has been with me for 22 years- longer than hubby and the kids! She is queen bee in the barn and gets the best of everything. It is actually essential at her age, since she is losing her teeth. We have 5 other horses too: Faust is s huge Hannoverian gelding who is a big character, Trouble is a broodmare who is a sweetie, Jasmine is another broodmare- tobiano paint- she is very well put together. Then the two fillies, Minnie Pearl and Bella who were both raised by us and are both wonderful.

We also have a Rottie named Loki who is a big baby too- she loves the kids and all baby animals.

Oh and two bunnies, Thumper (a wild cottontail) and Jack Sparrow (a blanc de hotot) who are both very sociable (their hutch is in the living room, so they get lots of attention)

The kitties do live in our barn, which is a very safe place as long as they stick around there- Holly, Darla, Larry and Moe.

It is quite the menagerie- but we have lots of room and nobody does much roaming- why leave when you have it good at home?

Kathy

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Happy Heart

A. Just A Pet

B. I Don't Have A Pet

C. As A Family Member

D. Just A Animal

E. Other - I miss her more than I miss my ex (dogs are more faithful than some men)

• Like 1

My dog Ignatius is for sure a "c" . He is just as bad as the children are and often gets blamed for their misdeeds. He is the one that always leaves the door open, forgets to flush, leaves the empty orange juice carton in the fridge and somehow ordered the ufc fight on directtv. He is also amazingly talented and wrote lots of letter Q's all over the hallway wall in blue sharpie while I wasn't looking and logged online to the pizza hut and ordered pizza for everyone (he's thoughtful like that). Other than that he gets the lion's share of the bed and snores loudly in my ear, he gives big sloppy kisses and I wouldn't trade him for the world.

AWESOME!! They are so funny like this. /wispers now if I could only teach mine to order minis for me and could pay for them in dog treats!!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

C for sure. Our three rescue cats rule the roost. They are all hard to home cats nobody else wanted and had been in the shelter for over a year because they were feral, biters or just badly behaved. They are all fine now, they just wanted a nice home. The previous 4 who were with me for 18-20 years from kittens and eventually died of old age are buried at the bottom of the garden together. The daffodils that mark their graves have just come out so I remember and think about them again every year at this time.

• Like 3