Cricut Reviews

Hallowell

I used my friend's the other day to do some scrapbooking. I don't know much about it other than it's got the ability to cut out stencils. And it's limited to the stencils they have cartridges for... But if you wanted to stencil a room, it's certainly going to be the easiest way to get a tiny stencil cut out! I wanted to use it to create a stencil to use in order to sandblast a section of wood for a room - my brother has a sandblaster and if you have a paper stencil, it will only carve out the areas not covered... unfortunately, cricut doesn't have the stencil I need for this project so I'm going to have to draw and cut out my own...

You can get software for your computer that allows you to design your own stencils for the Cricut, it has a USB port. Another company makes a similar machine that allows you to do your own, so Cricut prolly had to make that move to compete.

Hm... I'm going to have to look into those make-your-own stencils... these would be easy to make as a stencil - not so much by hand. I think they are incredibly expensive.... if you get one, make sure you ALWAYS by every piece on sale. Most AC Moore and Michaels coupons don't allow you to use them for Cricut products - however, Cricut is almost ALWAYS 40-50% off everywhere I see it.

I looked into to buying one a few years ago but never did. However if I were to get one I'd get one I could make my own designs. It seems like the cutting machines for making vinyl lettering were more advanced and much less than a Circut and the cutting designs were unlimited as you could use any clip art or design your own, the cutting area was also bigger. You're also limited on fonts for the Circut but the other machines will cut any true type font. Some will even handle foam core.

In the end those machines work out. The stencils to do the Aztec designs for the Polar Lights Enterprise A are 50 bucks alone. For 1 kit.

Cricut do make a bigger version, no one else makes one that size.

• 13 years later...

I love my Cricut, but I hate the company. I just got it in the last year ($$$$, for me), but have made lamp shade "leading" for a Tiffany style lamp. I've cut out a design that is like scroll work on another lamp. I made vines for my porch railings. Did star cut outs for a lantern. And I even cut wood pieces on Balsa for a kitchen sink. I'm starting to use it more and more.

Tonight I tried making a poster. What a rip. I bought a 12" X 24" mat. Understandable. I bought holographic vinyl. Understandable. I picked all the free fonts because I did not want to purchase fonts for this one time deal. So far so good. Then i went to cut the poster letters out. IT WOULD NOT DO THE CUT UNTIL I BOUGHT THE CRICUT MEMBERSHIP. The company was very magnanimous though. I was allowed to have a free 30 day trial, if I provided my credit card information. Which I did. I set an alarm on my phone. On day 28 I am cancelling my membership. That made me really mad. I should be able to cut anything I design at any size without having to pay money every month.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Medieval said:

I love my Cricut, but I hate the company. I just got it in the last year ($$$$, for me), 

I agree! I have an older Expression 2 which I love and use for scrapbooking and card making. I hoarded all the cartridges I could find because I don't want to have to use internet connection for a simple project and I'm too stingy to pay for their Design Space. The Maker is so tempting for mini making but out of my price range.

The details are fuzzy now but years ago another company made a software product that would attach like a cartridge and allow you to cut your own designs. Cricut sued for copyright infringement and won. It was about that time they started discontinuing cartridges switching to internet access for projects and coming out with the newer versions of the machine. Maybe that's just  business but disappointing. 

• Like 1

Can you import an svg file and cut it? As in any svg file, not just cricut ones? Or do they not use svg files?

The reason I ask is you can get free/cheap design apps for ipads (and possibly other tablets) to make your own svg files for cutting. I use Graphic on my ipad which cost me $10aud to buy. No monthly fees. iDesign is another good one and it is free and very simple to use.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never used a die cutting machine like cricut, but if you're thinking of getting it for minis, you might want to consider a 3D printer instead.

I can convert a line drawing into a stencil, or expand it into a Christmas ornament.

Better still, I can design an entire piece of furniture--including shelves, drawers, carving, pin hinges, finials, knobs, aprons, crests, details like inset panels or the look of individual boards,whatever--then print it out.  Add the pins to the hinges, and it's a working chifferobe.  Well, after I correct any ooopsies, reprint, correct...    My most recent mini furniture design was a cabinet built to resemble a Dutch row house (inspired by a thread here on the board!). It's looking really cute, with cut out mullioned windows, gables, and even shingles on the roof.

I'm pretty sure the learning curve is a lot steeper than for a cricut, but I can do so much more!  And I'm having fun.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, steiconi said:

I've never used a die cutting machine like cricut, ... I'm pretty sure the learning curve [for a 3-D printer] is a lot steeper than for a cricut, but I can do so much more!  And I'm having fun.

Seems to me comparing a 3-D printer to a Cricut is like comparing apples and orangutans. Anyone thinking of investing in a pricey tool needs to understand what the tool is designed to do and if it will meet the user's needs. It is my understanding that the Cricut is not a die cutter but a computerized knife cutter. Seems to me it would be way more useful to the average mini maker than a 3-D printer. 

2 hours ago, KathieB said:

It is my understanding that the Cricut is not a die cutter but a computerized knife cutter. Seems to me it would be way more useful to the average mini maker than a 3-D printer. 

I agree about not being a die cutter. But I have seen 3D printers put out some cool minis on YouTube. Makes me want one, but I have my hands full with the tools I have now. Maybe someday, like when I win the lottery. Lol!

My bad for calling it a die cutter, I was picturing the right thing, used the wrong word.

Both the cutters and printers use CAD software.  I can take a cricut SVG file and easily 3D print it, or convert it to an STL file and print it 6" thick

Laser cutters are cool, too, and also use SVG files.  But, yikes, the price tag!