Please give me your opinion!

shelbylominac

I am off to the library. I am going to get a historical book on Portland homes from 1850-1950. I am sure if there is a Joseph Angel house built during that time it would be in that book!

Here is a pic I found online of the Poulsen

row_1-slot_2.jpg

I was actually contacted last yeay by the son of the original owner of the company that created the JA when he saw my blog entry on it, so I emailed him this morning to see if he knew anything of the history. He gave me his Dad's email address, and I just emailed him. This will be the expert- he HAS to know what house this is based on. I'll update you when I get an answer.

I'm feeling like Ben Gates in National Treasure here. Tiffany the treasure hunter! :hmm: With help from everyone else here, of course!

I got an email back from the original designer of this house today, and his answer is a surprise.

He says the full name is of the house is "The Captain Joseph P. Angel House." Mr. Angel was the first to ask them to build and finish this house for him. Angel was the franchise owner of the Burger king in No. Portland. The house was from the designer's own head, but fashioned after 2 or 3 old Victorians around the north-west.

He says he finshed this house in many ways for many movie stars, in side and out for about $15,000. to $22,000. All the little detailes you could ask for.

What a nice man! So, there is no one exact house. I thought the old brochures said it was fashioned after a Portland mansion, so looks like it was more of a marketing thing than reality. Interesting, isn't it?

Great detective work Tiffany! In my searching at the library I found another house, this one on 15th Ave, maybe the one Agnes was talking about. Similar to the JA house but I think the Poulsen house is the closet yet.

1906.jpg

Tiffany, did he happen to say anything about any of his other houses? Because from what I understand, there were other houses built by Victorian Times Miniatures and designed by Clell Boyce that were all modeled on teal houses - the Knapp House, the Elliot Bay, the Bee Tree Farmhouse, the Cook Farmhouse, the Lewis River house, the Ledbetter house - these are all I can come up with at this time. I would love to know if these houses were still standing.

Tiffany, did he happen to say anything about any of his other houses? Because from what I understand, there were other houses built by Victorian Times Miniatures and designed by Clell Boyce that were all modeled on teal houses - the Knapp House, the Elliot Bay, the Bee Tree Farmhouse, the Cook Farmhouse, the Lewis River house, the Ledbetter house - these are all I can come up with at this time. I would love to know if these houses were still standing.

No, he didn't. It was a rather brief email. From what I understand, Clell Boyce owned the company before Ronald Clanton. Which is very confusing because my Angel is signed by Clell Boyce. I wish we could get Mr Clanon on the forum to answer all of our questions. :yes: I have the impression that Clell Boyce was still making houses after selling the rights to Ronald Clanton, but who knows what really happened.

I absolutely love the picture of the Queen Ann. Who makes that and where did you find it? I wouldn't mind one for myself.

The Queen Anne is made by Real Good Toys. You can do a search or go to HBS here: Queen Anne

It's a HUGE house and on the pricey side, but worth it if that's what you want. :yes:

No, he didn't. It was a rather brief email. From what I understand, Clell Boyce owned the company before Ronald Clanton. Which is very confusing because my Angel is signed by Clell Boyce. I wish we could get Mr Clanon on the forum to answer all of our questions. :dog: I have the impression that Clell Boyce was still making houses after selling the rights to Ronald Clanton, but who knows what really happened.

I know - I have the Elliot Bay and it's also signed. I'm still dithering about selling it - someone make me an offer! :)

• 11 years later...

Hello All, I am new to this site and wanted to share that I recenty purchased a Joseph Angle dollhouse, I had no idea at the time of purchase what it was and now I’m wondering if anyone can help me with a couple of questions I have abt it. The first question I have is where I might possibly find the signature, if there is one, perhaps some where on the bottom? My next question would be if anyone knows approx. when these particular houses were manufactured, I’m guessing sometime in 1970s or 1980s? Lastly and most importantly, would anyone possibly have the written instructions or possibly any pictures that came with the purchase of a shell they might be able to share with me? The house I bought is not complete finished, the exterior of the first two floors are finished but something looks I amiss, as in it looks like the special shingles that belong on the side of the house are actually stuck on the roof of overhang of the porch, not sure what’s going on there and it looks as if there may be something wrong with the upper patio in the tower as in I’m wondering if it should actually have windows instead of being a patio, it just looks off. Also, several of the windows on the top floor are missing and wondering if anyone knows if there might be replacement windows that will fit and where I might find them. Luckily the interior of the house is already wired for electricity and it is also wall papered so most of the hard labor is done. I’ve tried adding a pic to share so you can see what I’m working with but for some reason it will not attach, darn it... but again if any one has instructions they can share on how to finish building this house, I would be over joyed and most grateful!