Please give me your opinion!

shelbylominac

I find all the comparisons amusing. The houses are about the same size, both are victorian. Both can be built in the same quality. They are the same as far as scale. Both are dollhouses - therefore labeled toys, albeight, adult toys. (Well doesn't that sound funny :roflmao: ) I think by reading the posts, that the decision is already made to take the JA house and for the rarity of the house, I think it is a good one. Before you commit to buy it, you should check and see if it was signed by the original maker (Clell Boyce) or the next owner of the company. People do copy houses.

When do you get to pick it up?

It is actually one of the most common of all the modern houses to end up being a copy. There are two other signers I do not know the first one, but there is a mini shop in Colorado that has one or these, someone her wrote about in a while back so it must still be there. The other name is Clinton (or Clanton ?), I can't remember the first name. All the papers are with the house! My whole real life house is on life support, in a persistant chaotic state, but when it comes to organizing my dollhouses I am OC) So, unless it costs less that the Lawbre stuff would go for (if you could find so much of it... dream dream dream...) buy it at a unknown maker price.

If it is Genuine, do insure it, it will only increase your homeowners or renters insurance a few dollars a year. Anyone who has had a fire or flood and is trying to rebuild a loved collection will know what it feels like and this is one of the things that you could replace any time you have an extra couple of thousand around, which is exactly what insurance is for.

i would chose the joseph angel because it is rare and the opportunity to get one may not come around again. you can always get the queen anne some other time if you so desire, as far as i know, QA will be around for a while.

I love the Joseph Angel house. I find the discussion of it particularly interesting as the plans for the house (and some similar ones) used to be for sale by a company called Victorian Times (and it is listed as the Joseph Angel house). I saved these pictures off a website years ago, so can't remember where I found them. Someone on this forum has also posted ads for dollhouse kits that were very similar, by Noel Thomas. The second picture shows the Knapp House, which is similar, but is smaller and has the front door facing the front (not to the side).

gallery_2572_1561_38962.jpg

gallery_2572_1561_40392.jpg

For the investment angle the Joseph Angel is a good choice. If I had the money I'd rather invest in one of Mark Turpin's gorgeous Pine Island Design houses, neither the QA nor the JA are to my taste.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the JA, in fact, the picture displayed of the interior earlier in this post is mine. :( So I am a little biased towards it. This thread is interesting. Will Lawbre components fit these windows??? It's a bit of a concern finding windows to fit, but I will find something or build something to fit.

I always wanted the QA, but when I got a hold of this JA I decided that I don't need both.

I say go for the JA simply because they are not being made anymore and they are very unique.

The only thing that might also be a concern is that there are several front rooms that could be tough to get to. There are actually two rows of rooms like in a real house. This house also has lots of nooks and side rooms that can be great, but sometimes I stare at it and wonder what I'll do with it all! I'm going to get started on this house as soon as the San Fran is done.

One more, thing. It's HUGE!!! But so is the QA, so it doesn't seem to be an issue if you are looking at both.

I have owned both so I will give you my personal opinion of each. Both can have gorgeous exteriors. I love the QA exterior because of the different materials - clapboard, shingles and stucco used (almost 4,500 shingles in all - I know I counted them), the big deck and tower. I have seen many completed QAs and (depending on color choices) I am always so impressed with the exterior. I don't think there is another kit house that can compare to the QAs exterior. One must see one in person to appreciate it. I have seen several completed JAs and the exterior can be gorgeous if completed to its full potential. Be sure to see Liz LeBosse's JA at her website. I have also seen a couple of JAs that were not finished that well and they were just plain boring houses - in fact one was actually pretty ugly.

I purchased a JA shell a few years ago mainly because of its rarity and some of the beautiful exteriors I had seen. I eventually sold the shell as I felt the rooms were way to small to do the decorating I wanted to do. I have completed the exterior of my QA but it is now stored away. The rooms in the QA are larger but there are many windows so there is very limited wall space. The two third floor rooms can be difficult to decorate due to the slanted walls and I have some problems with the entrances to some of the rooms.

The QA you have pictured, Bill Hogg spent eight years working on it. He did do some bashing and replaced the kit windows with Lawbre windows - which are still available. He did an unbelieveable job on the house.

You have to decide what you want to do with the house. What rooms you want to include and what type and how much decorating you want to do. If exterior decorating is your main interest then I don't think you can go wrong with either house, you will have fun with either one. For me I have been collecting Bespaq and all the other items for my house for many years so I need lots of space for decorating. Hopefully the 16 room Victorian I am now working on will be adequate. Good luck with your decision. Either way you will have a beautiful house.

Valerie

I have this house, if it is authentic it will be labeled, numbered and signed. The origional buyer had hers completly built by maker-it is #77 signed by Ciell Boyce. The number 77 means the shell, I have no idea how may completed houses they sold but I do have the paperwork and all the letters about the finishs between the buyer and builder.

Some of you already know that I have a way of stumbling onto tiny things and I paid very little for this house. The people who sold it to me just wanted to be rid of it and I bought it to breakdown for my own builds. I nearly fell over dead when I saw it and even before I know it's money value I know I would not be using it for parts.

The actual Joseph Angel is on 14 st SE is Portland, Oregon. It is a private home but when I got the doll house the people came to see it and also let me tour their house. Unfortunatly much of the Victorian interior has be stripped during remodels in the 1960's and again in the 1980's when it was turned into apartments, but it was still a nice old home and it does have a dumbwaiter in the origional kitchen just like the dollhouse.

My JA is signed by Clell Boyce and is numbered #88. I acquired mine similarly. The lady who sold it to me just wanted to be rid of it as it was a family project and they had lost a family member. She knew I would love it like she did, but unfortunately it is still sitting in my workroom waiting to be turned into a fabulous Queen Anne style house. I just emailed Lawbre to see if they still have any components for it. I paid so little for the shell I don't mind spending a bit more for the components, but I see some of the component kits went for something like $2500. I'm feeling faint at the thought!

Thanks for the info about the real house, Agnes. I wish I could see some pictures of it, but a google search has been fruitless so far. I'll find it is it is out there. :groucho:

Does anyone know the address of the actual house? I bet you could put it into google maps and see it from their street view. Our house out in the sticks has street view I'm guess this one in town would have one too.

Does anyone know the address of the actual house? I bet you could put it into google maps and see it from their street view. Our house out in the sticks has street view I'm guess this one in town would have one too.

Yep, Agnes posted it earlier:

The actual Joseph Angel is on 14 st SE is Portland, Oregon. It is a private home but when I got the doll house the people came to see it and also let me tour their house. Unfortunatly much of the Victorian interior has be stripped during remodels in the 1960's and again in the 1980's when it was turned into apartments, but it was still a nice old home and it does have a dumbwaiter in the origional kitchen just like the dollhouse.

I didn't pull up anyting on a quick google search, but I didn't have a lot of time today. I'll play with it later. :groucho:

Thanks Tiffany! I was too lazy to scroll through the whole thread to see if it was listed. I will look up the addy, going into town tomorrow may drive by and take some pics. I see you're in Corona. My in-laws live there. Hubby and I lived in Moreno Valley 6 years before we ditched the IE and high tailed it to OR.

Thanks Tiffany! I was too lazy to scroll through the whole thread to see if it was listed. I will look up the addy, going into town tomorrow may drive by and take some pics. I see you're in Corona. My in-laws live there. Hubby and I lived in Moreno Valley 6 years before we ditched the IE and high tailed it to OR.

Can't hardly blame you for leaving. I've just about it with the nonsense in this state. I went to college in Washington and I loved the Northwest, but I can't convince hubby to go for it.

Anyway, thanks for the offer to take some pics. If it works out, that would be awesome!

To me, and I am late in answering this post, the Joseph Angel House would be the one I would want before I die. That and the Rosedawn have always been the dollhouses of my dreams. The Queen Anne is nice, but for elegance the Joseph Angel house has "it" for me....... Let's see, how many more years do I have on this planet? Sigh, not enough!

Wow-thanks everyone for your input! I am leaning towards the Joseph Angel due to its rarity and exterior. It seems to have intrinsic value. I like how Liz LeBosse added the chimney to the outside on the bay. I have seen ones that are gorgeous or ugly depending on what was done to them. The Lawbre windows really make or break a dollhouse to me-whether it looks "real" or not. I can buy the Joseph Angel with the windows so that is a plus. I could always buy the Queen Anne at a later date, but adding the windows would cost a fortune. The different types of shingles on a house look neat to me with a lot of gingerbread. I want one really special large unique dollhouse along with the Beacon Hill and Willowcrest. I want to have a dining room, parlor, nursery library/study, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, etc. I love the books I have with gilded age type interiors-awesome! I have looked for the real Joseph Angel -it's not exactly like the dollhouse. 3040 SE Mc Loughlin Blvd. Discovered that a twin was across the street and sadly was demolished to construct a bridge. Wonder what that looked like?

Yep! 3040 SE McLoughlin looks like it is the right house! Hahaha! Do you know how many times I have driven by it? Never noticed it. I looked all night on google maps for every 14th in Portland, as Agnes had said it was on 14th St SE. I couldn't find it.

ETA: I will try to take pics of the house today. However, it is raining out today and I don't want pics to be dark and gloomy.

Yep! 3040 SE McLoughlin looks like it is the right house! Hahaha! Do you know how many times I have driven by it? Never noticed it. I looked all night on google maps for every 14th in Portland, as Agnes had said it was on 14th St SE. I couldn't find it.

ETA: I will try to take pics of the house today. However, it is raining out today and I don't want pics to be dark and gloomy.

I spent hours last night looking at houses on 14th on line and none were it. The house on McLoghlin is the Johan Poulsen House, and it sure looks like the JA! Here is the atricle that discusses the twin mansions that Shelby mentions:Poulsen House Info There is a picture of them tearing down the house across the street that makes me so sad.

And then I found a cross stitch pattern of the house too! Cross Stitch Pattern

I'm curious now about why the designers named it Joseph Angel if it was based on the Paulsen House. Interesting story, isn't it! Sorry to have sort of hi-jacked this thread. I love this house and I love history, so this whole thing feeds my interests.

Amy, whenever you get around to taking pics is fine by me. I appreciate it so much!

For anyone interested you can see the street view on google maps. 510 SE Brooklyn St Portland OR gives a good view of the long side of the house with the tower in street view.

Awfully gray today but if it clears up after reading time at the library I'll run up and take some pics.

Thanks for that cafe unknown link-I had tried in vain for a couple days to get those to work when I was searching for pics, especially the Inman house. Such a shame. They didn't even take out the lighting fixtures! Imagine what else could have been salvaged! I contacted the realtor who last sold the Poulsen house and he has never heard of a Joseph Angel or knows of any similar house in Portland-what a mystery......

Thanks for that cafe unknown link-I had tried in vain for a couple days to get those to work when I was searching for pics, especially the Inman house. Such a shame. They didn't even take out the lighting fixtures! Imagine what else could have been salvaged! I contacted the realtor who last sold the Poulsen house and he has never heard of a Joseph Angel or knows of any similar house in Portland-what a mystery......

I actually felt a bit nauseous seeing that picture of the Inman house being knocked down.

This is quite the mystery, isn't it? I'm getting a bit obsessed with the whole thing. I would say that the Poulsen house HAS to be the house the JA is based on. . . but then Agnes says she saw another one which is now apartments, so there must be another house too. Hmmmmmm. . . .