More Brick Eye Candy

pdlnpeabody

The mortar and paint are still drying, but I finally finished the brick oven for the kitchen. It turned out exactly how I wanted it to. It took more work and was a bit difficult laying bricks in such a small space, but the results are satisfactory. I just hope my first attempt at miniature cabinetry turns out as well.

One question- what is the average diameter of a wine bottle in 1" scale? I'm almost ready to build the wine racks, but I don't know how large to make the openings for the bottles.

post-587-1233815181_thumb.jpg

One question- what is the average diameter of a wine bottle in 1" scale? I'm almost ready to build the wine racks, but I don't know how large to make the openings for the bottles.

I measured a selection of bottles in our meagre collection. They range from 3" in diameter for red wine to 3.5" for bubbly. 1:12 scale would be about 3/16 to 1/4". I think I'd make the openings about 3/8" on a side.

HBS has green glass wine bottles (temporarily out of stock). They don't give the diameter, but the height is 1". They also have 6 filled wine bottles that are 1-3/8" tall, but they say they are slightly larger than 1:12 scale.

I love the brick oven, I can see the little Tudor baker shoveling out brown, crusty loaves of bread! What will you use to make the door?

Thanks for all the positive responses!

As for a door, all of the brick ovens I've seen were open. I will look into what a door on one of these things would look like.

I will try to make a tutorial, but all of the other fireplaces are squared, and building another arched oven would take up a lot of time and material. Other than the lack of an arched top, the construction methods are nearly identical for the fireplaces. Would a tutorial on one of the fireplaces with instructions for building an arched top be acceptable?