can a blue/white checkered wallpapered room be feminine?

Luanne

How can I make a room into a feminine bedroom ? it has blue/white checkered wall paper floor to ceiling. I am thinking white laces for window/ blue or white bows, and rossettes on the bedsheets.

And/ or add vertical skinny sticks, painted white, for the bottom half of the wall to cover up some of the wallpaper?

or I could just change the wallpaper entirely. The furnitures have not been painted yet. What do you think? Thanks.

Luanne

I think a blue and white checkered pattern could be very feminine. With some nice lace curtains and a nice possibly blue flowered bedspread or the rosettes and bows, with some throw pillows is a nice blue print, it could look very feminine.

I love Blues & Whites.!! If you added a white sheer curtain or lace curtain... A beautiful white satin bedspread.. some needlepoint stuff hung on the wall.. (signup for a needlepoint catalog they have beautiful needlepoint pictures and you can cut them out for the dollhouse walls.) maybe some perfume bottles on the dresser... lace doiles... white throw rug... pretty framed mirrors... Just the little touches would make it very femine.

My Grandmothers bedroom had light blue walls with a white rug.. I loved that room.. but was rarely allowed in it.!! Hmm, Wonder if that could have been because of the white carpeting.! :yes:

Have Fun,

Kellee

Lots of ideas here. Thanks for the inspiration. I've feeling blue ( pardon the pun) looking at the room, not knowing what to do. I do like the ribbons/ satin idea- I'll test out a few things. You guys are awesome. Thanks a bunch!

Unless this dh is for a little girl to play with, lose the PINK! Orange is the complement to blue on the colorwheel, and yellow make a lovely accent color with blue, too. Going with a lighter, pastel blue in the spread & curtains, perhaps a blanket folded across the foot of the bed, or a pllushy throw rug next to the bed. Either the needlepoint pictures or silhouettes in little gilded frames would look nice. A blue & white floral border across the top of the wallpaper would soften it a bit, too.

Unless this dh is for a little girl to play with, lose the PINK! Orange is the complement to blue on the colorwheel, and yellow make a lovely accent color with blue, too. Going with a lighter, pastel blue in the spread & curtains, perhaps a blanket folded across the foot of the bed, or a pllushy throw rug next to the bed. Either the needlepoint pictures or silhouettes in little gilded frames would look nice. A blue & white floral border across the top of the wallpaper would soften it a bit, too.

I LOVE PINK!!

Your ideas are great too. To make the room girly:

-line shelves with lace trim

-tie ribbon or bows around the necks of teddy bears or a rocking horse

-pretty, soft blankets and throw pillows

-throw rugs in pretty florals

-Susanne

I love pink with blues too! However, Holly is right about how nice orange looks with blue. I put light orange trim in a blue and white nursery in the Strawberry patch. I have also used yellow and blue and a combo of pink, yellow and blue. All those colors look O.k. together- so it's your choice what you like best, and what the house wants, will prevail in the end.

Or go more sophisticated with blue toile in a darker shade, then add the white lace and crochet stuff. Lace curtains, darker blue lamps with white linen shade, and vases full of yellow flowers. A monochromatic room is very pretty!

Blue & white can be very feminine and also very country French or Swedish with yellow accents. Or try accents of a dark blue/white toile if you can find it small enough. Adding lots of white lace will definately bump up the girlie factor. For French use just a bit of red in accent pieces. :jawdrop:

It's the blue & white checked wallpaper that suggest to me pink (unless very pale & minimal) might be too much. I was definitely thinking of a more monochromatic approach with touches of one or two accent colors; but it's your room, and definitely pink roses & other flowers will beef up the femininity factor.

I can see the room now, all decked out in laces. About pink- I love pink- however I have a pink room next to thi sone and house is all pink: siding and trim. I plan to save the 3 color combinations- both yellow and pink- for another house though. Never thought of another color before. I like the floral border idea, too. Hm...

Thanks for the tips. My brain is getting crazy now !

Blue is my absolute favourite colour. I am doing the inside of my glencroft-bash in various shades of blue and yellow, with white ceilings, and just a tiny bit of red added in the library/study which will have dark blue walls, dark floors and med-dark cherry stain on the bookcases.

I saw that blue and white is just fine, just add a few frills and/or flowers as the others mentioned.

when I was little my baby sister and I shared a blue and white gingham bedroom. She had a gingham bassinet with lots of eyelet on it and my comforter matched. I had a eyelet dust ruffle and then the curtains were gingham with eyelet trim. They were very full and ruffled so they looked very girlie

It's sure my favorite color! Every room in my rl house has the starting color of blue. Over 36 years of homemaking, every house has had a variation of blue decorations. They used to be country blue, then gradually got darker and richer.