Advice, please

lmgervais

I need some advice on clothing dolls. I am in the process of making a family of dolls for my modern-day glencroft-bash. There is a mother, father, boy 6-7, boy 3-4, and girl 0-1, or at least that is what I am trying for.

I made the heads, hands and feet from Fimo using molds, and the bodies from wire so that they can be positioned. I've wrapped the bodies in cotton batting and white material cut on the bias (as suggested in another website, just can't remember which one right now). So, I have the basic body shapes (hands not attached yet), and they need clothes.

I've read that a lot of people just glue the clothes to the body. However, I would like them to be able to be wearing pj's or everyday clothes. Is this possible? If so, how do I make the clothes so that they are removable?

I'm not fabulous at sewing, but can do some stuff. And, this is my first attempt at making dolls, so I'm not worried if they don't turn out perfect. It took me two sets of heads before I got some that looked ok. I'm hoping they will look better with hair once I get to that part!

Any suggestions appreciated.

P.S. Wolfie, I would LOVE to be able to have you make all my dolls, but that is not right now!

I can't help you with removeable clothing.....I just plain don't like them on the mini dolls as they always look too big for the doll's bodies, but some people like them, so you'll have to get that advice from them......

If I were you, and you really wanted the removeable clothing, I would get a pattern book, cut out the patterns in paper towels and fit them to the dolls giving extra room for making them removeable.

That's all I can say....

I have never had dolls that tiny with removable clothing! The Li'l Bratz & Li'l Boyz dolls have removable clothing, but I wouldn't begin to attempt to try making them other clothes. I just imagine my little people putting on their nightclothes to go to bed, or undressing for bathing, etc.

Guess that I will just make everyday clothes for them and save myself the hassle.

I was wanting the pj's for a lazy Saturday type scene that would go in the story that I am writing, but it is not crucial.

Now to decide what everyone will wear. Most likely pants for everyone except the baby.

Thanks for the advice.

I can't help you with removeable clothing.....I just plain don't like them on the mini dolls as they always look too big for the doll's bodies, but some people like them, so you'll have to get that advice from them......

The clothes do always look too big don't they! I have never liked that either. I have made lots of Barbie clothes but going smaller...I'm not sure.

How about just Robes that they wear over their pants that would make it look like they had on PJ pants and a robe??

Julie C.

How about just Robes that they wear over their pants that would make it look like they had on PJ pants and a robe??
That was my thought, too. There's a wonderful book of needlework projects by Venus Dodge that has all sorts of lovely nightwear projects.

was trying to think of how I could do something like that, but I guess I had a brain freeze and couldn't think of it. Now, just to choose material for the pants that look as if they could be either pj's or regular pants.

You all have such great advice to give, thanks again.

The clothing on 1:12 vinyl dolls are removeable, like Barbie clothes. It attaches with velcro. Some of it doesn't look too aweful bad. I bought the denim set from HBS. I don't know what the price is up too now, that was awhile ago. They did have swimsuits and Summer/Winter clothing sets too. My blonde dolls came with PJ's in the package, and a second set of clothes for the whole family, and they are a tight fit. My daughter sewed me a Tim Horton's uniform for 1 female doll, and she used a hair elastic for the waist band of the pants, and those little push in snaps on the shirt. If yours dolls are the same size as the vinyl, perhaps grab a couple of these sets as patterns, and recreate them in your chioce of materials. I, myself don't sew, and use faric glue for everything. Of course it's tricky, and you need different size dowls, to keep the peices from sticking together, as they dry inside out. Best of luck, dressing your new family.

I pretty much have given up on removable clothes and use a combination of sewing and gluing to make the clothes. I fit them to the doll as I go along. However, I do it in a way that I can carefully cut the clothes off and them repair them. It is easier to get/make another doll for every outfit. Talk about the tail wagging the dog!

There was an article in one of the mini mags on making removable clothes--I think it just covered dresses, but may have been more extensive. I'll see if I can find it, and post the info.

There are tiny snaps and zips available, mostly for Barbie size, but possibly could work, and another idea I've seen is to use a tiny bead and make a thread loop. Tiny seams and finished edges could make it workable, if you want to try it.

I make all my doll clothes removeable. I have a pic somewhere of some of them. I have crocheted dresses and made a man's suit and a lady's dress suit and a baby dress and bonnet. Fray check is your friend and they do sell very small snaps or you can use beads as buttons.

There is a book Making and dressing Dolls' house Dollls by Sue Atkinson is great book. Also Heidi ottt make removable clothes that are pretty nice.