How to take apart Michael's hutches?

Luanne

I saw a kitchen with the hutches' tops as the cabinets painted white- glued to the ceiling.

It was pretty.

So I got 3 hutches this weekend. How do I break it apart please? I am thinking hairdryer, but I haven't tested it. Thank you.

I separated two recently to use the bases in the Travel Trailer's kitchen and the tops in, respectively, the bedroom & bathroom. I simply ran very hot tapwater into the dishpan with the hutches in there and after a couple of minutes I reached in and gently popped them apart, being careful not to totally disintegrate them; I still had some small pieces of cupboard doors to glue back together, the glue is really shabby.

The main reason I haven't used the microwave is that many of the hutches I've disassembled have small pieces of wire in them and putting metal in the microwave is a good way to set the thing on fire, I've heard; and the hot water is foolproof, so far.

Sort of off topic, but are you saying that Michael's carries dollhouse furniture? The ones in NW Ohio stopped carrying any dollhouse supplies a long time ago, they tell me. In fact, I have to buy pretty much everything online. The only other option is Hobby Lobby. There's only one in the area, and it's not terribly clean or well-stocked. Do I need to take a road trip to find a nice selection?

I'll research the gallery for ideas for the bottom as well!
I think in the Team Westville blog I showed the kitchen sink base and bathroom wall cupboard I made from one of the hutches. I made two different bases work together in the Travel Trailer by gluing the tops to a single counter piece and removing the furthest pair of legs from the bottom of the shorter one and glued it to the top of the wheelwell on that side.
but are you saying that Michael's carries dollhouse furniture?
No, Deb, what we're saying is that some of those US$1 unfinished little wooden hutches they sell can be bashed into 1:12 scale furniture & components (Grazhina is VERY good at it!lol); the early ones they carried that looked like closets bashed beautifully into Murphy beds, too.

I just love seeing how those hutches are bashed and used in different ways, but the few and precious and appreciated hutches I have received in swaps etc, well I am having a hard time seeing me bash them too hard so to speak, pettind and talking sweet words to is more likley LOL

Hugs

Sort of off topic, but are you saying that Michael's carries dollhouse furniture? The ones in NW Ohio stopped carrying any dollhouse supplies a long time ago, they tell me. In fact, I have to buy pretty much everything online. The only other option is Hobby Lobby. There's only one in the area, and it's not terribly clean or well-stocked. Do I need to take a road trip to find a nice selection?

I live in NW ohio (the store I went to was Perrysburg/Rossford OH), and just got saw several hutches. It must be store by store. It was in the woodworking section. I pmd you in case you don't log on often. They were a 1.00 a piece and there were three or four different styles, shelf brimming.

S

I have used all the mentioned methods of dissassembling the hutches, it all works. They're just glue gunned together from what I can tell. I used my bottoms for T.V stands. They can also be reglued together to make other furniture of your choice, depending on the style of cabinet.

What I have been working on is an Artply Allison which will be completely furnished and partially accessorized with things made from michael's hutches. Once you get to thinking on it, you can build lots of things out of them. Some of the items may only have a piece or two from a hutch. I have found even the doors and little trim pieces and even the feet and knobs that I remove for other projects can be made into something. It's so much fun using these and I've only used like 20 of them to make an entire house full of furniture. Alot of the pieces turned out better than I expected and I have had so much fun doing it. I would post pics, but I'm in the process of moving and it's all packed up. I did get alot of ideas and inspiration here in the galleries just search michael's hutches :)