Fireplace Photos

Deb G

So, I find that working with Paperclay is every bit as hard as it looks. I need suggestions, please. It will be apparent to you which one was the first, and probably even which half of the downstairs fireplace was done first. <g> Should I tear it part of it (or all of it) out and start over, now that I understand that thin means THIN? All comments welcome, but remember I'm totally a rookie, so please judge accordingly. I know paint will improve matters, but I don't want to jump in with that if there's something I can do first.

Thanks!

Deb G

fp2%20upload.jpg

fp1.jpg

We are always our biggest critics aren't we :storm: I think your fireplace looks great for first try!!! I wouldn't rip it out...once you paint it, I think you'll love it more :) I myself have more trouble with painting it now...trying to get the colors right-I'm practicing drybrushing and color washes...I think it just takes lots of practice....Have you seen Tracey's (minis on the edge)fireplace or stone tutorials? She gives great tips!!

It looks lovely to me. Are you concerned because the part toward the corner seems to be smoother than the part by the stairs? Maybe a mild going over the rough part with an emery board would knock down some of the peaks and make it look more like rough plaster. But I think once you paint it, it would look fine even without touching it up.

The stonework around the fireplace opening is perfect! :)

Thanks, guys! I'm happy to hear the kind words, but you know what I noticed just now? Only one of the pictures is showing, so probably no one has actually seen the one I'm worried about most: The second floor fireplace with the woodbin on the left and the stairs coming up on the right. That was the first picture in the post, but it doesn't seem to show all the time. When I first posted, both showed, and if I go to the post via the link in My Controls, both pictures show. But if I go through the forum, the top one is blank.

Here's another picture:

fp2b.jpg

I think your fireplaces look great! The only thing I can think of to make them look even better is to add a bit of texture by stippling them. Take an old paint brush or toothbrush and tap the clay with the bristles to make texture. You can probably slightly dampen the clay and do that without a problem.

Otherwise, keep the good work!

Christine

I think your fireplaces look great! The only thing I can think of to make them look even better is to add a bit of texture by stippling them. Take an old paint brush or toothbrush and tap the clay with the bristles to make texture. You can probably slightly dampen the clay and do that without a problem.

Otherwise, keep the good work!

Christine

That's an outstanding suggestion! I originally did a tiny bit of it on the first floor, but it was too tentative to even show. The second floor stone is smooth as a baby's behind, and I think you put your finger on the reason it looks wrong to me. Thanks, Christine! Now, if only I didn't have four ten-hour days ahead of me at work, I could give it a shot. Sadly, it will be next Friday before I can play again.

Thanks everyone for your comments. They are much appreciated! I've never met so many nice people online! I feel right at home.