New to minis

cjack

Hi everyone! My name is Cathy and I am new to this group. Not sure if you would say I am new to minis or not since I have had the Greenleaf Willowcrest in my attic since 1992 and finally got the opportunity to start building it. So, the interest has been there since then but the time to build it is recent. I am a hobbiest and do everything from making porcelain dolls to faux finishing my walls. About the only thing I don't do is knit and that is because I just can't get my thumbs to cooperate. I am married with 2 great step daughters and one grandson. The only children now living at home is my husband and our 4 scottish fold kitties. I am about 1/3 of the way into the Willowcrest and have learned 2 very important things. First and foremost is that this hobby has turned me into a compulsive/obsessive personality. The second thing is that working on minis with 4 cats is just way too much fun. I just recently found this website and hope to learn alot from fellow miniaturists. I just wish I had found you sooner while I was learning about electrifying dollhouses. I have had to learn by myself but now feel so confident about it that my husband is worried I may try to re-do our home. He lives in constant fear everytime I try my hand at something new. Luckily for me he too is a hobbiest and likes to build things. However, he has refused to touch my little house. I guess that could be lucky too. Anyway, I look forward to sharing my experiences with the Willowcrest and hope to learn alot from all you experienced miniaturists. I welcome all hints and assists!!

HI and welcome. The Willowcrest is def. on my must have list! You should see Nutti's it is just beautiful. I used to make porcelain also, I have just started to try my hand sculpting my own. This is such a great hobby, you get to do a little bit of everything.

Hi Cathy and welcome to the forum. I also have the Willowcrest and hope one day to get working on it. There are lots and lots of truly creative people here, don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Wendy

Cathy -

Welcome. Four scottish fold kitties, you say? Would you post some pictures. I'd love to see them. I have three cats - one black and white tuxedo (Dudley - age 16), one red/brown tabby (Missymew - age 8), and one black with "bits of white" (Trinity - age 6).

I have the Greenleaf Beacon Hill, and will be building the McKinley.

So glad you've joined us. Look forward to chatting with you.

Susanne

Welcome Cathy! My kittys have become fascinated with that big blue thing on the diningroom table that is just too irresistable to touch!

I am working on my very first dh and the people here are very helpful. I too am a perfectionist. I think what I have done so far stinks. But I have gotten great feedback. Post pictures when you get a chance!

HI and welcome. The Willowcrest is def. on my must have list! You should see Nutti's it is just beautiful. I used to make porcelain also, I have just started to try my hand sculpting my own. This is such a great hobby, you get to do a little bit of everything.

Hi Melanie. Thanks for the welcome to the group. I am still learning how this website works so please bear with me if I screw it up somehow. I have never joined a chat community before and this is all new to me. I looked at your pictures and just loved them. I hope to be able to learn how to post pictures very soon as I hope to share my progress on the Willowcrest. So far, so good. I like to think the first one is the hardest as I am learning so much. I envy your talent to be able to sculpt. I have no talent in that direction. But as you said, working on minis does give me a chance to do alot of different things. I am enjoying that very much.

Hi Cathy and welcome to the forum. I also have the Willowcrest and hope one day to get working on it. There are lots and lots of truly creative people here, don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Wendy

Hi Wendy! I just visited your photos. I can tell I have a very lot of learning to do after seeing your album and those of other members. Such detail! I was also very impressed with your cross stitch. That is such a maticulus hobby and the one and only time I tried it made me blind. Now I know why they call it cross stitch. That is what my eyes were doing. Let me know when you start the Willocrest. I would love to compare photos.

Welcome to the forum, Cathy, I also have a Willowcrest in my stash, I've already make the family who will live in it. I sculpt my little people from polyclay.

Hello Havanaholly! Thank you for welcoming me to the forum. I look forward to learning alot from everyone here. I do have a question for you. You call yourself "queen of spackling compound". This intrigues me as I love to work with joint compound in my real house and have tried to figure out a way to use it in my dollhouse. Unfortunatly, I can't figure out how to make it stick to the electrical runs (I use the tape method). Do you have any way to do that? I would most definately appreciate any help you can give me as I really don't want to paper the living room but don't know of anyway to hide the tape run. I was hoping joint compound would be my answer, but it peels too easily. Thanks for you help!

Cathy

Cathy, Welcome to the group you!! You will not find a more friendlier bunch then the people that are here. Iam currently working on the Lily.I too would love to see pictures of your kitties. I dont have any cats but have 2 beagles and Golden puppy.

Cathy, you might try making templates of your walls and using acidfree cardstock to paper over or paint for your walls to hide wiring. The only reason I wouldn't spackle over the wiring is in the event you would have to "troubleshoot" it later. As you read my building blogs and photo captions you'll see I use spackle the way most folks on the forum use paperclay, I make "stones" and pavement, stucco (not bricks, I'm having far too much fun using sandpaper for bricks!)...

Cathy -

Welcome. Four scottish fold kitties, you say? Would you post some pictures. I'd love to see them. I have three cats - one black and white tuxedo (Dudley - age 16), one red/brown tabby (Missymew - age 8), and one black with "bits of white" (Trinity - age 6).

I have the Greenleaf Beacon Hill, and will be building the McKinley.

So glad you've joined us. Look forward to chatting with you.

Susanne

Hi Susanne. I loved looking at your albums. I think that is the thing I am going to enjoy the most with this website is seeing what everyone else is doing. You have done such beautiful things with the outside of your dollhouse. I never really thought about the yard thing but you sure gave me some wonderful things to think about. Of course, I am still panicking over the inside part. Maybe when I finally finish my first house I can start to think about the surrounding grounds. I love the names of your kitties. Mine already came named so I missed that part. But I love them just the same. I joined webshots today and posted 4 pictures of the little darlings. I have yet to get a picture of them all together. They move too fast. So, here is the link. I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed your albums.

Cathy

http://community.webshots.com/user/cjack142

Cathy, Welcome to the group you!! You will not find a more friendlier bunch then the people that are here. Iam currently working on the Lily.I too would love to see pictures of your kitties. I dont have any cats but have 2 beagles and Golden puppy.

Hi Lyn. Thanks for the welcome. I have loved looking at everyones gallery and have learned a lot in the short time I have been here. I just joined webshots and posted pictures of my babies. Please visit when you get a chance. I love dogs too. We had a Siberian Husky and miss him very much. We keep thinking about getting another dog (the cats do well with dogs) but I think 4 cats is plenty for right now. I love the Lily and am already thinking about my next house to build. The trouble I am having is: where does

everyone put their houses when they have multiples?

http://community.webshots.com/user/cjack142

What lovely fur babies! They just glow with personality.

Hello Havanaholly! Thanks for the nice things about my babies. I have a question for you....how many houses did you have to build to be a master builder? How long have you been at this?

:):p :o

Thanks for the nice things about my babies. I have a question for you....how many houses did you have to build to be a master builder? How long have you been at this?
:D :lol: :lol:

"Master Builder" is a building team title conferred by Dean, I don't know how many houses. I had helped DH "scratch build" a dh for DGD about a dozen years ago and then I built my first kit (Dura-Craft San Franciscan) for her. Then I built the Dura-Craft Cambridge for me. Then I got "volunteered" to build a small dh for a "silent auction" to raise money for the National Foundation/ March of Dimes at work and that was my first Buttercup. I built & sold three more as children's playthings, and then I started building Sugarplums for the same purpose (because I was getting just a bit burned out on the Buttercup).

Since I've been on the building team I've built & blogged the Arthur, the Glencroft, the Westville, the Haunted House and now the Coventry Cottage. I'm building the McKinley to learn how to electrify (thanks for the tute, Darrell :) ). I have a LOT of kits in my stash...

Building houses on a limited (and now "fixed" income, I wish the state & Fed would quit trying to fix it & just leave it alone!!!) budget led me to teaching myself how to make different things. I try to make as much as I can and in my blogs and lately in my gallery albums I describe how I do it so others can try it, too. Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can!

You asked me for the time & I've just told you how to build a clock! Hope this answers some of your questions! :D

Cathy -

I love the photos of your cats. I've a special weakness for large tomcats. Dudley (neutered) is 16 and he's as gentle as a lamb. I got Missy Mew and Trinity (spayed) just for him. He doesn't mind other male cats coming into our garden, but doesn't want any other males living here. Watching him romp and play with Trinity just warms my heart.

Susanne