What's in a name??

chattycathy66

Ok, so when I decided on my ID (which is also my email address)...I thought it was kind of funny....Chatty Cathy was my favorite doll when I was little...and I thought it kind of clever....if I must admit...even though it might have a slightly negative connotation....we all know a "chatty cathy" who drives us nuts! lol

Anyway, then I started working with a nun from India...she cracked up when she saw my email address...she couldn't figure out why I had wanted to be known as "Panty Cathy"....apparently in her dialect in India, a "chatty" is underwear/panties ,lol. She even said when she forwarded one of my emails to her sister and another friend , they called her right away because they thought it was so funny,lol....

Maybe you just "had to be there", but I laugh even thinking about it,lol

Depending on where in FL you live, there is a variety of tortoise that shares its common name with the vernacular term for a rather personal portion of female anatomy, and I still spray my coffee whenever I hear it in casual conversation. That's hilarious!

An email name can be just about anything. People should be cautious in naming their children as evidenced by that Adolf Hitler thing recently. When I was in Jr. High we had a girl named "Celeste Dance" and another named "Shirley Shirley". Poor souls got teased all the time.

lol, Think Shirley Shirley is bad...I have one for you...and I kid you not...cross my heart, this is true--when we had semi private rooms on my unit---in one room...we had Harry Teets and Harry Nipple....a few years later I also ran into Harry Butts! Exactly---what were their parents thinking?? :yes:

I too have wondered where some parents brains are when they name their kids.

Here's another one for you...watching a tv show, on A&E and I'm not kidding, the guy's name was Royal Cola. Have to wonder if he has a sibling named Pepsi or Coca? :yes: Can you imagine the teasing he must have gotten growing up? Forget growing up, now even?

It is very funny to hear/read stuff like what some things mean in different languages or even other parts of the country.

Cathy,

Don't worry about it. I'm looking at it as sharing something you found interesting/funny. Not being rude.

Terri

thanks Terri...it was one of those "it sounded good at the time moments"... again sorry if I offended anyone... but

Royal Cola, that's a cute one...

Kathie, does Dawn Rose dislike her name? I don't think it sounds too bad...is she named after someone?

Dawn Rose has had no problem with her name. The family just thinks it's amusing. Her football-player father Albert has gone through life with the nickname "Dolly" because he was such a cute little baby. Nobody laughed. He's nearly 80 now and still uses it.

goodness Holly, I'm glad that poor boy didn't have other nicknames...my poor mind must spend a lot of time in the gutter,lol. Maybe too much Simpsons....actually I don't really watch it, but DH and DS do, and their favorite parts are when Bart pranks Moe at the bar and asks for different people, and when Moe yells it out loud, it doesn't sound so innocent.

Oh good Kathie...cause I really like the name Dawn...Rose is a lovely name too, except it brings back bad memories of my great grandma's sister-in-law, Aunt Rose----who would come to visit every so often--not only did she have the "old lady smell"...but she had a prickly mustache!! And even worse---we were required to kiss her "hello" everytime!!! Good thing she didn't come to visit very often!! How that scars a child mind,lol!

Lol MIchelle, hope he never has twins ;)

As for my coworker and now dear friend, the Sister...she is so sweet and I will be missing her because she is going back to India to visit her family, then will be transferring to another hospital. I have learned as much or more from her as she has learned from us and we are left with many fun memories :)