Please help me, I am stupid

heidiiiii

*First off, this is not intended to be a political discussion that will make people angry..just clarifying.okay*

What exactly is the stimulus package for the country include? I feel really really stupid. One day I read that this is in it, the next I read that is in it.

Roads, healthcare, schools, tax rebates, tax cuts, a chicken in every pot..

I have been reading about it but maybe it is just me not getting it. I have a hard time finding anyplace that actually spells it out. I want to know because I want to be informed and right now I am not. I even asked my *Mom* and she really could not pin it down for me or herself.

Thanks ahead of time!

Don't worry about it quite yet. While the House passed a version of it, next it goes to the Senate. They will very likely make changes in it -- sometimes dramatic changes occur at this stage, other times more "tweaks". Then it has to go to committees, both House and Senate Committees, for more changes. Only then will it be formally voted on by both House and Senate, and then you need to try to figure out what's in it. That won't happen until mid-February, at the earliest. The Prez wanted it "on (his) desk" by January 20...then February 12...so we'll see when it really shows up

As of right now, the Republicans put in lots of "tax relief for small businesses" and took out "infrastructure repairs" that the Dems wanted...and then didn't vote for it anyway. So that may change. There'll be lots of talk from both sides "extolling the virtues" of both sides in the next couple of weeks, trying to get us (the folks who'll end up paying for all this, however it turns out) to support one side or the other, so there'll be lots of time to sort through all of it.

For now...nothing has changed, life goes on, no money is coming out of government (except that which the Bush plan spent already, shoring up banks and financial institutions).

Does that help?

I guess I am not stupid then..Yay! LOL

I am usually very swift when it comes to reading this stuff but for some reason when I am reading about this in the news, I am just like "Okay, I read the entire article and it did not tell me anything."

So I think you explained it for me. :D Thank you

It will probably get either more confusing or not in the coming weeks.

I just worry about people that I know that may not have a stable footing. Hope this *package* does something.

I am usually very swift when it comes to reading this stuff but for some reason when I am reading about this in the news, I am just like "Okay, I read the entire article and it did not tell me anything."

So I think you explained it for me. :D Thank you

It will probably get either more confusing or not in the coming weeks.

I just worry about people that I know that may not have a stable footing. Hope this *package* does something.

This site: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28661839/

seems to spell it out in a relatively unbiased way. Note:msnbc tends toward liberal; you might find a similar site on FOX, with a different slant. But at least here's a start.

I was wondering about this also. Thanks for the link. I heard on the news Obama wants this pushed through in the next 2 weeks. We all need some cheering up. I wish the media would be more positive in their coverage of the economy.

Sylvia Brown says it will begin to look better the end of March. :D

I never understand anything political. It's not us, it's them, they deliberately speak for hours without saying nothing, and I think they plan it that way. Also, seems most leaders, in most countries have a terrible time doing what they planned on doing, as they had not looked at the books before they got there, to see if what they would like to do is even a possibility. I have no doubt at times they feel lost themselves.

It's always a relief when one finds out that one is not an idiot! :lol:

"Okay, I read the entire article and it did not tell me anything."

Um, maybe because it didn't actually say anything? :D

Ann, thanks for the simple explanation. I needed to be reminded that the package is a long way from being "finished."

Alright now. Show of hands. Who envies Barack Obama? . . . . . <crickets chirping> . . . . . Anyone?

I think if I were recently elected President (either Obama or McCain!) I'd be saying to myself.."What did it get myself IN to!!!! Yikes!!!!"

An anecdote that may or may not be real: Bil Clinton, on the way to his (first) Inaugeration, remarked to someone with him: "I feel like a dog who has been chasing a pick-up, and finally caught it. NOW what do I do????"

think if I were recently elected President (either Obama or McCain!) I'd be saying to myself.."What did it get myself IN to!!!! Yikes!!!!"

An anecdote that may or may not be real: Bil Clinton, on the way to his (first) Inaugeration, remarked to someone with him: "I feel like a dog who has been chasing a pick-up, and finally caught it. NOW what do I do????"

LOL

I so agree here!

:lol:

Here's the text of the actual bill as it was presented to the House the other day:

http://appropriations.house.gov/pdf/RecoveryBill01-15-09.pdf

It will probably go through some changes before it goes to the Senate.

There are summaries of the bill written in layman's terms but they're posted on political blog sites which I don't want to post here. If you google "2009 stimulus bill actual text" I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.

Christine