Question about 1/24 scale

JVD

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and almost new to miniatures (I built my first and only dollhouse over 10 years ago).

I decided to build another one, and since I don't have a lot of space, I like the idea of building a 1/24 scale house. However, I'm concerned that it will be difficult/expensive to decorate since most furniture and furniture kits are 1/12 scale. What have your experiences with 1/24 scale been? Would you recommend it to a beginner?

Also, what 1/24 house kit would you recommend? I would be happy with a four room cottage, but of the few 1/24 kits I've found, all are large like the Fairfield.

Thanks!

A Large 1/24th scale house is only as wide as a table place mat which makes the foot print smaller but you still have a mansion house :) The lights and stuff can get expensive but I say get what you want. I have been doing halfscale for about 6 years and I am so happy my friend made me appreciate that scale because it's fun! Buy the house you like. In half scale, it should still be fun.

Welcome to the neighborhood J :lol:

Hbs carries a lot of 1:24 scale items: http://www.miniatures.com/hbs/global/Index...=&MAXPRICE= I built & I'm still decorating my first 1:24 scale build, the "pueblo" dh kit from HBS, the pictures are in my album, "La Casita". I found several furniture kits at Ron's in Orlando, they are much less expensive than their 1:12 counterparts. Having put them together, most of them would have been easy for me to scratch build. I have also made scratch items (like the stove) from 1:24 scale DIY projects from some of the mini magazines.

Remember that a 1:24 scale item is 1/2 as tall,1/2 as wide and 1/2 as deep as a 1:12 item, so it only occupies 1/8 the volume

gallery_8_1766_107489.jpg

(1/2X1/2X1/2=1/8); however, the kit I built for my "dry run" only has four rooms:

gallery_8_1766_430221.jpg

Some of the train sites are G scale and 1:24 scale. I had an outdoor railroad using this scale. Gardentexture.com has some nice buildings to build. They also sell figures in this scale. Garden Railways magazine also has lots of these items and advertisers in it. Hope this helps.

I have G scale trains and I use the 1/24 stuff for them.

I found the price between 1/12 and 1/24 is almost the same (not half the size, half the price). Instead of doing a house, why not try a roombox and make sure you like the scale first? Tracy sells the fantasy castle and some other 1/24 scale houses that are very nice all done up in stone.

Welcome to the forum, I have built a 1/24th scale scratch build (I must put pics up one day) and have furnished it with avon furniture, also I have found a lot of figurines from the $2 shops are about the right size for this scale as well, and lots of little trinkets and ornaments fit in perfectly too, just be on the look out everywhere you go for things. You will enjoy it, it is a cute scale to work with.

Cheers Derba.

The Fairfield is not a large house. It fits on top of my RL kitchen cupboards. Town Square miniatures makes the right size furniture,it isn't that expensive $12 to $20 per complete set. It is is not any harder to decorate it. You'll just be looking for smaller pattern wallpaper, or you can shrink some on your pc. I also have the RGT farhouse junior in 1:24, and it is even smaller still, as it is very narrow. I think The Fairfield is the only kit offered in 1/2 scale by Greenleaf, so also check out realgoodtoys.com

They have a couple of or more 1/2 inch size houses. Good luck!

We have been campaigning for years for GL/CC to release more 1:24 kits, and the Victorianna (the 1:24 version of the McKinley) has been promised for rerelase for an awfully long time, HINT!!! RGT has 1:24 versions of the Thornhill and a few others, and of course there's WoodCraft. Chekc out Newt's blog to see who else.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! It's good to know that half scale stuff isn't as hard to find as I thought, although it would be nice if Greenleaf made more half scale kits. I've decided to go with the Fairfield, and I'm very very exited. The gallery pics are so impressive and really inspired me.