Advice on doll hair needed

aurajane

I am making a doll, and I have finished her, with the exception of her hair. Her hands look terrible, but I think the rest turned out ok. I have never actually done hair on a doll before, I usually just make babies. What kind of material should I use, and how should I apply it. I was thinking of giving her shoulder length hair with bangs and maybe part of it pulled up in a berrett. A good "little girl" hair style. She is supposed to be about 8-10 years old. Any opinions or suggestions?

post-3783-1233112197_thumb.jpg

Viscose works great for the hair. I apply it with Fabritac. There are lots of tutorials on how to wig with viscose online. I like to get mine thru minikitz because they deliver so quickly. Your doll is wonderful!

I use Elmer's white glue to attach the viscose. For a style with bangs, cut a piece longer than shoulderlength when you drape it over the doll's head from side to side. I then divide the piece roughly in half and glue one piece across the doll's head from front to back and wrap a strip of waxed paper around it snugly until it dries. Then I glue the second piece at right angles to the first, so it goes from side to side, and rewrap it. When it's dry, pull most of the hair hanging over the face back over the second strip of hair, leaving however much you want to have for the bangs. You can now style the rest of the hair with barettes, plaits, ringlets, whatever. Last of all you'll want to trim the bangs and cut the hair to shoulder lenght (or however long you want it). Hands & feet are a matter of experience & patience. I have sculpted hands with perfect fingernails and joint creases and feet with lovely metatarsal arches, and what has come out of the toaster oven looks like terminal osteoarthritis! My little people have character! You little girl doll is adorable.