Thinking about moving south !!

kellee

What part down south are you thinking of moving too?

I am with you on being scared but if you are all up for it, think of it as a new chapter in your lives. Fresh page in the journal. Clean slate. No snow! LOL

Moving south isn't a bad thing. Of course, I've lived here all my life and can't imagine living any place else except further south. Spartanburg is in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and we're somewhat protected from the worst of such weather. We have cold here and sometimes snow but mostly it's ice that does us in. We just don't have the kind of snow and cold that you're having in Ohio. We do get a lot of transplants for the reason you mentioned, they are simply tired of dealing with the cold.

My Husband has a very bad back. and the weather makes it hard for him to work let alone anything else. SO that is the main reason we are thinking about htis move.

We have family in Southern South Carolina... but Hubby does not want to move right there.... I found a HUGE house that is in that area for a VERY good price but he does not want to move there... he is thinking southern North Carolina or Northern South Carolina..!! We wont Know anyone.. and It is really scary to me I have never been away from Ohio for more than a week.!! and we have only moved about a mile or so from each place.!!

Kellee

I appreciate you wanting to get out of the cold...this has been a brutal winter. But -- not knowing anyone where you're looking, what will you do about jobs? Income? Now is not a good time to be in the job market, to be sure!

Being scared is okay....It protects us and makes us careful. But don't let it hold you back!

If I could sell my house I'd move south! NOTHING is selling here...sigh.

My immediate family all lives in Florida. They hated OHIO!

S

Fred and I have a looooonnngggg range plan. When both girls are on their own and stable and Fred and I are in our 60s, we want to move to either Oregon or Washington State.

Now how much scarier is that? I have lived in this same city ALL my life. I was born in the hospital that Fred works.

My husband and I moved from Maryland to south Florida back in August. It's not something I'd care to repeat anytime soon, I can tell you that! However, we do have family down here, so we were not all alone. Things are working out ok...not what we had originally planned, but they are going in the right direction.

All in all, it's been a real adventure. I'd say your biggest concern would be financial. If finances are secure, they it's just a matter of making the decision to do it. If jobs are an issue, you'd do well to give that major consideration and thoroughly investigate the area you want to move to. Line up jobs before you move. I don't need to tell you what the job market is now. Even down here in south Florida, jobs are scarce and for every job available, there are tons of applicants. There is a lot more to it than just packing up and saying "let's go!"

As someone born and reared near Chicago, married and moved to California (for husband's job), widowed and moved to Virginia (based on a National Geographic magazine article on the Shenandoah Valley -- really), remarried and moved to New Orleans, blown into the Heartland by Katrina ...

each move was tinged with anxiety and apprehension for a while ... then the new place became more a part of everyday life as we settled in.

When my late husband retired we were living in California and considered where to go for retirement. We weren't enchanged with California and had always looked upon it at a temporary detour in life. We had friends and relatives all across the country and could have gone anywhere. We ended up moving from Huntington Beach to Ojai, and stayed in California. Why? We stumbled into Ojai on a drive one day and fell in love with the area. Who'd have guessed? :blink:

It doesn't take long for the newness to wear off, Kellee ... and soon you'll wonder why you hadn't done it sooner! ;)

What a grand opportunity to check out on line the areas you are thinking about living in. There's so much information about the towns and the amenities, resources & activities they offer in addition to real estate listings. You may find you'll end up in a place you haven't even considered yet, as we did.

IF we do end up doing this move it would be in about 2 years.!

For my Job I could do a transfer.... and for Hubby is in construction.. mainly lumber yard... so he would hve to find a lumber yard.. and we would work on the Job situation before we started the move ...

Honestly, I really dont think he could handle much more of the winters here... He can barely walk when the weather starts to change... and if we were in a warmer climate he would do much better.. We have alot to think about and debate on...

We do have family in the southern part of South Carolina... and we could go sorta close to them but dont want to be right on top of them...

Kellee

When 1st hubby and I were considering moving south, east or west or north - we took our vacations in those areas to see if we would like it. Most of the time living there for a couple of weeks will tell you whether you really want to live there or not.

I've lived in Maine, Massachusetts, Montana, California.....and for my personal living - Montana is the best! At least for me. Yes, it's harsh, but the benefits far outweigh the bad....... I would never want to live in California again, that is for sure. I've lived in southern California in San Fernando Valley and in somewhat more northern Califoornia in San Jose. 10 year stints both times.....I'm glad I don't live there anymore. Maine and Massachusetts will always be home to me, however, the humidity gives me pneumonia each year that I lived there. Almost died the last time around and the doctor told me to leave town. So I did. And I can never go back. I've not had pneumonia except one time since 1990. So I guess the doctor was right after all.

I think Gina made an excellent suggestion -- go visit where you think you might want to live, and do it at different times of the year.

We would never again live in the south, for an example. My husband got what at the time was a good job offer there, so we moved to Georgia, ended up in Savannah, lived in the south for almost 7 years, and it seemed like a lifetime. We absolutely hated the summers - hot, humid, buggy, hot, sticky, did I mention buggy...and hated having to live in air conditioning for 10 months of the year. But you have family there, so know that, and may find that climate wonderful! Obviously lots of people do, as they're living there, and moving there.

You say you've got 2 years -- lots of time to really think through your options, and do a bit of exploring, before you make the leap. And maybe by that time we'll see some improvement in the economy. I was just listening to NPR, talking about Home Depot closing some stores, laying off people, freezing salaries for their top employees, so even the home improvment industry is hurting right now.

It's always fun to dream, though, and plan as if you're doing it! :)

We managed to stay in OH for over four years before the foundry business crapped out and we had to move, so we moved back to FL (both of us are from FL). This was following the winter storms of 1978 and I made a deal with God that if He'd move us back to FL I'd never complain about how hot it gets in the summer.

I'm originally from West Palm Beach, Sally, and wild horses wouldn't make me move back to S FL! I can't begin to comprehend how it has grown up since I left! Out here in the Panhandle there's still open spaces and the weather gets cold, but rarely snow & none that sticks. The one tornado we had in OH was far scarier and more destructive than any hurricane I've ever been in, plus the weather service gives us plenty of advance warning about hurricanes to pack up & evacuate for the really bad ones (plus where we are is an hour's drive from the coast). Of course, I LOVE Gayle's part of SC.

The lumber company near Gainesville (Georgia-Pacific in Palatka) laid off a lot of workers a couple of years back, but it was a chilly 75 degrees today, so its a toss-up.

The company I work for isn't expanding, but they are filling positions (some recently listed pay as much as $96,000 a year). Our manufacturing positions start around $12 (which is better than average for North FL) but that isn't enough to pay the bills around here.

SC is mostly a good place! Lived here all my life. We have mtns 3 hours from beaches...mild temps and low housing costs. There are negative factors that show up on national charts...crime, poverty, school districts with NO money going toward classrooms or teacher pay. We've come a long way, but we have a very long way to still move!

Cold weather can be a really bad thing for some people. I litterally cannot leave my house when it's cold because my blood vessels spasm. Not good. I would move but my children and grandchildren are here. Oh, my wonderful husband, too!

The job market right now is in the crapper, judging by the national news last night; forecasts last fall were for double-digit unemployment this year. At least in parts of FL the services industry is hiring (entertainment, food operations & the hospitality industries), but doesn't pay any sort of living wage; but as more & more people feel the pinch I'm sure that job market will shrink faster than a cheap suit. The way the legislators are cutting all the State agencies' budgets, I don't even think the Corrections field is hiring (admittedly there's the expense of school, but many prisons offer scholarships); and many of them have housing available for Correctional Officers & their families.

I'm originally from West Palm Beach, Sally, and wild horses wouldn't make me move back to S FL! I can't begin to comprehend how it has grown up since I left! Out here in the Panhandle there's still open spaces and the weather gets cold, but rarely snow & none that sticks.

You probably would not recognize it at all. My husband lived down here for 20 years, from his 20's to his 40's, and says the growth is unbelieveable. There is shopping center after shopping center, gated developments, a Publix every quarter mile, and so on and so forth. I am from the Eastern Shore of Maryland, a quiet and picturesque place, and while I like the shopping, it's taking some getting used to as far as the congestion.

I'm with Wolfie...take a vacation and see which southern state you two like the most.

I'm not a huge fan of cold weather, so I too would LOVE to move south. Unfortunately, the housing market isn't too great here in MD (nothing is selling) and the job market isn't too great in the south (no one seems to want to leave their good government job)!! So, I'm stuck for a minute.

I say, GO FOR IT!! I'm sure you two will make it a great place to live, where ever you decide to go. And, no need to be scared, you will have EACH OTHER!! :-)

I'm familiar with the Eastern Shore of Maryland, believe it or not most of Palm Beach County looked like that when I graduated from Palm Beach High In '60.

Wow! That is unbelieveable! Actually, there is a horse farm across Lake Worth Road at the entrance to our development. However, they are planning some commercial construction there in the near future and yesterday I saw several vans of horses pulling out of the entrance to the farm, so the development must be closer to happening than I realized. It looked like they were moving the horses out.

Sometimes I get very homesick for the Shore, but we moved down here to be with my husbands family and we plan, once we are retired, to move into a house with my husband's sister and her husband and share our retirement (and expenses) together! The way things are now with the economy, that might happen sooner than we anticipated!

I went to Palm Beach Junior College the year after I finished highschool and it was a rural country ride from our house on Macy Street out Forest Hills Boulevard to Military Trail & South to the campus.

Well, The more we talk about this the more it scares me.!! I know it would be best for my Husband... as he works outside all year long and in the freezing cold it is horrible on him, he can barely walk when it gets really cold. I know the weather will be great it is just a huge move... I must say I really like my job and hate to leave it .! We have been looking at houses down there online.. but the thought of selling this house scares me. It is really not the prettiest house but I LOVE it.! It is a nice big house and we all fit in it well.. The only thing I dont like about it is that the basement is very cold and that is where my Mothers bedroom is.!

Kellee