new as can be!!!

snowy35160

I built my last dollhouse about 15 years ago and now I want to start again. I lost the last two in

house fire and I just got the Van Buren about a year ago and thought that Greenleaf was bring it

back, but needless to say I'm starting from scrach on this and looking forward to any advise, help

anything!!! I did learn to make furniture but colors are lost on me, what color do you paint a house??

anyway in effect I'm new at this again and would love to hear from you guys.

Hello and welcome to the forum Elizabeth! I don't have a VanBuren but I remember it as an elegant dollhouse and well worth the time it takes to build it! Just jump right in with any questions you might have, we were all newbies once upon a time.

Welcome to the little family, Elizabeth. Peggi is building the Van Buren and finishing off the exterior with the Bromley stencils in brick, with quoins. There are a lot of good sites for color pictures of houses, as well as color wheels at various paint companies' sites that you can Google for. My favorite source of color info is to LOOK at houses whenever I'm on the road (DH drives these days, which leaves me free to look to my heart's content!lol). I also wish GL woud rerelease this kit.

When you've made five posts you can start an album, so do feel free to share pictures of your build.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Elizabeth - sorry for the late welcome. :roflmao: You can find inspiration in the galleries here, in the RL houses, and even in your own closet! Look at your favourite clothes. See what colours you are drawn to, and how they work together in the fabric pattern. This is an easy way to choose colours that you can live with. :)