New and very green

Jo Med

Hello.

I'm Jo from the UK and I have just joined the forum.

I constructed a very simple dollhouse for my granddaughter for Christmas 2008 and had a great time doing it so my husband bought me one of my very own. Ambition got the better of me and I chose the biggest most elaborate one I could find, the Garfield, and it arrived this week. I must admit to being totally daunted by the prospect of beginning this project and am now trying to gather all the help I can find. First problem - where to start building. I can't put the dining room out of commission for months, the opening to the loft is quite small and could mean that the house has to reside there permanently and the garage is very cold at this time of year. I'm sure I will find a suitable place but what when I do?? Do I build and then decorate, decorate as I go along - and oh - electrics scare me - where to start. That's the reason I joined this forum, I'm a complete novice.

Personally, I work full time for Royal Mail as a development manager, have one son, two very nosey siamese cats, a husband and a mother all living with me and I have to make room amongst all of that for a not very miniature dollhouse.

I would welcome the assistance of anyone who has built the Garfield.

Cheers

Jo

The Garfield is a piece of cake! Just relax and do one step at a time. It's a magnificant house when finished and many here have built one. I have one in the box but cannot build it in this house as it would never fit through any of my doors. Next house for me! Anyway good luck, and if you have any questions just ask! And by the way, welcome to the forum!

Welcome, Jo!

Perhaps building the house on a table with wheels can help. I have a modest apartment and for me it helps that some of my furniture is on wheels, so I can move it (a bit ;) ) when I want to access something behind it.

But the fact that I live alone with 2 nosy cats makes things easier as well. I have quite a few tables in my sitting room.

When you start, you'll probably will be doing lots of preparation prior to assembling the house. So I think you might not need a large workspace to get started.

I'm a novice too, currently working on the Laurel. As far as I can tell, it will definitely be easier to put wallpaper in first before assembling the house. I will also drill holes for electricity prior to assembling, because I plan to use round wire.

And I agree with Holly, just relax and take it one step at the time.

Welcome, Jo!

Perhaps building the house on a table with wheels can help. I have a modest apartment and for me it helps that some of my furniture is on wheels, so I can move it (a bit ;) ) when I want to access something behind it.

But the fact that I live alone with 2 nosy cats makes things easier as well. I have quite a few tables in my sitting room.

When you start, you'll probably will be doing lots of preparation prior to assembling the house. So I think you might not need a large workspace to get started.

I'm a novice too, currently working on the Laurel. As far as I can tell, it will definitely be easier to put wallpaper in first before assembling the house. I will also drill holes for electricity prior to assembling, because I plan to use round wire.

And I agree with Holly, just relax and take it one step at the time.

Hi Jo

Welcome to the group, its a really great place to be for help with your house there's a lot of people here who have built that house unfortunately im not one of them i havent been able to get one anywhere over here i'd love to know where you bought yours :yes:

Have you looked in the gallery and blogs yet the pictures of everyones work are amazing.

which part of the UK are you from..i live in south wales.

Hi and welcome to the forum! I have a Garfield in the box that I will begin to build soon. Im going to build mines on the kitchen island/breakfast counter. Its the only place I have big enough to build such a large house. A dining table would be really good. Maybe youll have to decommission yours. After all, you can eat anywhere, the Garf is more important....lol

Welcome to the forum, Jo. My first dollhouse purchase was the Garfield. It is one that I plan to take my time and find just the right pieces for and want to make sure I do it right. Therefore, I decided I would get the Coventry Cottage and start on that :yes: There are several blogs though on building the Garf so look around, drool, relax, and just get started.

Welcome to the little family, Jo; we're SO glad you joined us! I'm the holly Marianne was quoting. I haven't built the Garfield (wish I had the room!), but I have built a kit or two and I think some common factors will apply.

just relax and take it one step at the time.
You think you're panicked now? The first words on the instructions are "Don't panic!"
First problem - where to start building. I can't put the dining room out of commission for months, the opening to the loft is quite small and could mean that the house has to reside there permanently and the garage is very cold at this time of year.
A dedicated table is an excellent beginning. Some people build this beautiful house whereit will reside when completed (not sure what THAT refers to, none of mine are "completed"!lol) and some people build it in separate sections so it will fit through a doorway. This is another reason to do the dry fit.
I'm sure I will find a suitable place but what when I do?? Do I build and then decorate, decorate as I go along - and oh - electrics scare me -
The first thing I'd suggest is to brew yourself a nice, calming cuppa and take a deep breath and open the box.
where to start.
Take another deep breath and tell yourself that holly said not to panic, the instructions say not to panic, and a whole lot of forum members have built this kit. DO enjoy sniffing the smell of the wood. DO give the wood a pet (if the kit includes sandpaper, you may want to give the wood a pet with it). Remove the clear acetate plastic sheet/s, these are your window inserts and will get scratched. Nest remove all the paperwork. There ought to be a set of papers called the Warm-Up Sheet. These are a lovely place to store your acetate sheets, to protect them from damage. Lay them to the right of the open box, where you will see them. Next you should have the instructions and also some schematics that show all the plywood sheets with the parts of your kit.

Sipping your tea, have a seat and read over the instructions. Look over the schematic sheet. The numbers in the instructions refer to the sheets containing the parts that go together in that particular step of the instructions. Now it's OK to lay the instructions to the left of the box and put the wooden plywood sheets into numerical order (ascending or dexcending, whicever works best for Jo). Lay the schematics sheet on top, then the instructions, then the Warm Up sheet; and close the box. Take another deep breath, pour another cuppa and come back here.

Some things to note before you run out to buy things is that we who build a kit or two don't recommend using the hot glue suggested in the paperwork. I find that the yellow carpenter's wood glue works well. It isn't necessary to seal the wood with anything; most of us either stain the woodwork, or else prime it and then paint or wallpaper it.

Tool requirements are very simple & basic. Painter's masking tape and a good utility knife, a steel straight edge or carpenter's square (very useful) and clamps are a good beginning. I mentioned a "dry fit" before because that is where you can assemble the kit with the masking tape, without permanently gluing anything you will wish later you could still get to to decorate. Once the house shell is in dry fit it will often begin to talk to you, if it hasn't already done so, to tell you what it wants to look like when built.

If you want to add electrics, there are excellent tutorials you can Google; one of the best, using tapewire, is in the Gallery by our own Darrell Payne.

Have FUN!

Hello, Jo! :hmm: Welcome to the group - you're in for a real treat with the Garfield. I don't have one, but I just love the design. This forum is a great resource - please do have a good look around, and don't be shy to ask questions. No question goes unanswered here; in fact, you will probably get several different answers! Sometimes it takes a while, but usually you will have responses very quickly. I hope you will post pics and share your build with us! :D