Mini Treasures!

sparklepuppies

I am so excited! I don't really splurge a lot, especially on my houses. But this past month, I've done it twice! But they were both on sale, of course.

I have a thing with clocks, I have clocks everywhere in my RL house. So I just fell in love with the Reutter's working clock. With a HBS GC and the 26% sale, it is mine! I just love it. It looks great next to the fireplace in the McKinley.

I also love trains. I've got a couple miniature ones already. I've been eyeing those Heidi Ott trains for months, but just couldn't bring myself to spend the money. I found a sale the other night and told my husband. He said, "haven't you been wanting that forever? Buy it already!" Then, he bought it for me, since I wouldn't. What a sweetie! I felt a little guilty, until yesterday when it came in. It is wonderful!! I can't believe how detailed it is, and the wooden box is just adorable. I have another metal train like it, but whoever did that one basically just blobbed the paint on. I found some plain unpainted metal ones, I'm tempted to buy one and try painting it myself. What kind of paint do you use on metal anyway? I got the passenger train, but there is also a freight train. I'm afraid I'll have to buy that one too, on the next sale...

I've made a new album with some pictures.

Tracy

Thanks everyone! I got the train out and played with it last night, it was great! I even carried it around in my pocket at work yesterday and showed everyone.

And thanks for the suggestions on painting the metal. The toothpick is a great tip Corwin! I think I may get brave and try that soon. It won't look as good as these, but it would be fun. I could make my own collection of special trains!

I really wish that someday I could splurge and justify a working train set. That would just be the neatest!

Thanks everyone! I got the train out and played with it last night, it was great! I even carried it around in my pocket at work yesterday and showed everyone.

And thanks for the suggestions on painting the metal. The toothpick is a great tip Corwin! I think I may get brave and try that soon. It won't look as good as these, but it would be fun. I could make my own collection of special trains!

I really wish that someday I could splurge and justify a working train set. That would just be the neatest!

I got the idea from Casey, she uses it for tole painting, but I have been able to paint cottage scenes with it and details, etc, as well

What kind of paint do you use on metal anyway?
Testor's makes oil-based enamel paints for metal & plastic model kits. I learned a long time ago, painting wargaming white metal miniatures for one of my friends, that spraying the item with a light coat of flat gray Rustoleum aerosol primer allows you to paint them with acrysics; as Sherry mentions, you can then seal them with a matte sealer.

Holly, I use white on metal also, if I'm going to paint it a light color. I do the same with plastic items, also. When we moved, I made sure my spray paints didn't get packed up with DH's garage junk! If nothing else, I can take up spraying 'Granny Graffitti' down at the railroad depot!

I love the clock. I wish they had one in a grandfather style for my McKinley. The teeny train is adorable. Congrats on the great bargains and tiny treasures!

Ah man, Judi, why'd ya have to mention a working grandfather clock? I found several on eBay. DeJoux Miniatures and Dollhouses and More also have several. Now I'll have to get one of those, too... I also found a working clock with a curio under it. Either of those would look good on the other side of the McKinley fireplace. Oh, and both sites have different models of working wall clocks. Oh me. Now look what you've done!

I'll have my clock collection downstairs, and my train collection upstairs!

When DH & I were running errands Monday we stopped BAM and in the checkout line we saw a display of tiny clocks and I nearly walked out of there with a 1:12 treadle sewing machine until I saw the little clock in it, and then I saw the price and nearly blew out my pacemaker!

We still have DH's original Lionel in the box, with the water tower, even. I have the locomotive and coal car sitting on my hearth and put the entire set under the tree at Christmas. And we do have the clocks! My grandfather and father were clock collectors, so I guess I inherited that gene.

I bought one wonderful little kitchen clock at an estate sale last summer. The type with the elaborate carved, odd shaped cornice, pendulum, etc, made in the late 1800's. It was sitting on it's own little shelf ticking away, looking good, so I splurged and bought it. Got it home, set it on the mantel-and nothing. I balanced, rebalanced, moved to the other end of the mantel-nada. I tried it on the hall table and still no go.

I finally sat it down on the dining table temporarily, facing the french doors to the back yard, and it started ticking away! That is the only place in the house we could ever find where that d@mn clock would tick-with it's back to the room! I think it hates me, but it's still awful cute!

• 2 weeks later...