Inauguration Today

heidiiiii

I saw the vice president and president take their oaths and at least the first part of Obama's speech. Unfortunately I live on the west coast and it was early here (anything before noon is early) so fell back to sleep before his speech was over. But I saw the swearing in so saw the most historical part. Then when I woke up I had to go to work so didn't see anymore of it. I'm sure I'll catch some reruns tonight at some point.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recorded 5:54 hours of it on ABC. Looking forward to flipping through it to see the parts we missed. Heard the invocation and swearing in on the car radio, got to the cancer center TV in mid-speech but stayed long enough after treatment to hear the benediction. Rev. Lowery sure gave Obama a run for his elocutionary money! :)

One of the many leaky eye parts for me, besides watching Muhammed Ali being led to his seat, was watching the live remotes from the elementary school in Indonesia where all the schoolchildren in their school uniforms were sitting glued to the classroom TV, and in Kogelo, Kenya, where all the residents were also gathered, watching the proceedings, at midnight and godawful late at night, respectively.

We had it on all day, to watch when we could, which ended up being A LOT. DH worked from home, and DD got home from class just in time to see the swearing in. We would have loved to have been there, but we did get to go to a rally here in October, which happened to take place on the same day as DD's Gov't/PoliSci co-op. So, the mom that teaches the co-op and I took all of the kids from co-op (and our younger ones, too) to the rally instead. My kids still talk about that as their greatest day ever, so far! We were pretty close at the rally, and that makes up for watching the inauguration from home, for us.

The inauguration was just incredible to see. I really found it interesting to see all of the former big players in gov't, and hear tidbits of info about them. I never paid any attention to politics when I was youger, so I got a brief history lesson. DS was reading the constitution for history class yesterday, too, and was especially interested to hear about the 20th ammendment which confirms the new president at noon, even if he hasn't taken the oath yet. Educational and joyous! A spectacular day!

We started as soon as we woke up...Im not a morning TV person but on this day I made a big exception!

I had to take the time to explain to Miss Pixie why we were watching grownup TV

I told her we were watching history being made and she was kewl with it....she really enjoyed the Parade...I had a giggle at FPresident Carter and his wife as they walked right past the Clintons like they werent even there....BUT so Happy and proud of America and all those people in Washington with their calm excitement!

Michelle look totally FAB in her inaguration onsomble...very elegant but OHHH I bet she wished for some boots like Mrs.Biden. The girls looked so sweet and so proud of their daddy!

The Presidents speech was moving and Im so very proud to have been a part of this portion of our nations history.

Nutti :)

Michelle look totally FAB in her inaguration onsomble...very elegant but OHHH I bet she wished for some boots like Mrs.Biden. The girls looked so sweet and so proud of their daddy!

Nutti :)

She did look fantastic! I cracked DS up by pondering what she might wear. He couldn't understand why that would matter. I told him that the swearing in was a given, but what color her dress may be was the great unknown. He walked away shaking his head. Then yesterday morning at breakfast I got him by saying, "I wonder Michelle's wearing today." He almost choked until he realized I was kidding with him. :D

I have fond memories of the Carter family. It was the first real president that I remember. I have vague ones of Ford. I remember my friends Dad talking about him being a peanut farmer and the beer of his brother. What the heck was that beer called? Billy Beer?

Amy was around my age at the time. He was just a nice calm Southern gentlemen. Did anyone see him on the Paula Dean cooking show? Wasnt he wonderful?

(i am not even talking about his politics, just his manner and civility).

Yes, Jimmy Carter was a gentleman, no doubt about it. However, my dad knew father Bush through his oil business, introduced me to him once, and he was just as much a gentleman to a teenage girl. I was impressed even then, before he became president.

Alas we only got to watch it online.......along with jillions of other folks! But it was still awe-inspiring. We can only hope and pray that he has a good term of office with the ability to "fix" things so that we can all have a collective sigh of relief. He certainly has the stamina for it. His first day he was right there early in the morning and has been since. What a guy! Our 44th Prresident seems to know what and how to do things.

Alas we only got to watch it online.......

Only? Gosh, Gina, you wouldn't have had that opportunity for the previous inauguration. Just think, there you are, in the middle of a vast country, no TV, no cable, no dollhouse shops ;) -- but you can share in historic events right there in your living room ... or the kitchen or the bathroom or wherever you carry your laptop! :)

I have fond memories of the Carter family. It was the first real president that I remember. I have vague ones of Ford. I remember my friends Dad talking about him being a peanut farmer and the beer of his brother. What the heck was that beer called? Billy Beer?

Amy was around my age at the time. He was just a nice calm Southern gentlemen. Did anyone see him on the Paula Dean cooking show? Wasnt he wonderful?

(i am not even talking about his politics, just his manner and civility).

someone once told me that Amy Carter was famous for bringing a book to the table for fancy dinners that she had to attend with her parents. I know that theoretically this would be considered rude, but I always thought that was just the coolest thing. How many kids come prepared to deal with their own boredom, instead of acting out? LOL

Kathie & Wolfmeister, y'all might appreciate this; my maternal grandpa was a ringer for HST (he was a staunch Republican! and it curdled his dinner every time someone pointed it out) and once they took me with them on a week-long trip to Key West and he fussed the entire time we were there! (Truman's Summer Whitehouse is in Key West)