A bashing we will go, a bashing we will goooo....

enchanted

Oky I'm having fits with my Orchid. I have it built, mostly painted and such inside except for some fussy tweaking and thinking all is going well. Wrong I was... I built all the lil House of Miniatures furniture kits I picked for my little house and think they turned out so pretty. Well being sick the last couple of weeks with what we have fondly named 'the Crud' (it's a mix of all the nasties of the flu and pneumonia rolled into one) I haven't had the desire to get outta bed much less work on my house so I decided to just play with the house. I can't get any of the furniture to arrange the way I saw it in my daydreams (seems this house doesn't like to have much furniture in it) and the darned window upstairs (opposite the bay window) makes me sad (I can't put anything on either wall for the blasted windows being in my way).

Long story short... would it be a terrible sin to remove that window altogether and put a fireplace there or for that matter how about just walling it up and having just the one window on the other side left? If one did decide to do away with the window how do you patch the whole that remains? Could you just remove the window bits on the inside of the house and rearrange them to the outside of the house like it was a faux window simply for curb appeal or would that look wretched? I have so many tinkery scraps of ideas trying to pop thru the NyQuil fog but just can't make any sense of them.... PLEASE HELPPPPP! Pretty please... pretty please with sugar on top..... :please:

If possible I would remove all window trim outside and inside. If you are not going to have a fireplace, fill the hole with wood or foamcore and then finish the outside to match the rest of the building. Finish the inside to match the rest of the inside.

If you are having a fire place you can put rocks or brick or whatever on the outside to make the outside of the house where the window was to look like a chimney. On the inside put the fireplace and above the mantle you could hang whatever you wanted on the wall.

I love your fireplace idea! Of course that could be because I've never bashed in my life (I'm just finishing my 2nd dollhouse) and find bashers to be amazing. I will be very impressed whatever you decide, but I really resonated with the fireplace idea. :cheer:

If one did decide to do away with the window how do you patch the whole that remains?
Didja save the punchouts from the window? Pop off all the trims, stick the punchouts back in with a bead of wood glue around the edges to hold them in place and spackle over them when they're dry and sand them smooth. Voila! No more window!

You can build a lovely fireplace out of foamcore and air-drying clay (or spackle) with Tracy's tutorial and build the chimney on the outside likewise.