Hi I'm new

Laura1008

HI I'm new to this whole dollhouse building and have no local (or not local for that matter) mentor. That being said please forgive my potentially dumb questions.

I am working on the Coventry cottage, its been a trial but I am nearing the completion of the assembly process.

Even though this has not exactly been a stress free type hobby WOW the sense of accomplishment is really high, so I hope to go on to do more houses.

I currently live in Louisiana my DH is active duty AF, so we move around a little. I have a 20 month old daughter Isabella and I am a stay at home mom, who really makes being a mom work. Isabella is constantly on the go. I craft while she sleeps fortunetly for BOTH of us she likes to sleep.

I do LOVE all things crafty. I sew, quilt, scrapbook, make cards, make candles, lip gloss, soap, knit, crochet, embroider, crossstitch. I am a sort of crafting demonstrator for hancock fabrics. I keep busy, idle hands you know.

Well I hope to gain alot of knowlegde from this board and I hope I dont annoy anyone. <_<

Hi Laura! Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of miniatures!

I do LOVE all things crafty. I sew, quilt, scrapbook, make cards, make candles, lip gloss, soap, knit, crochet, embroider, crossstitch. I am a sort of crafting demonstrator for hancock fabrics. I keep busy, idle hands you know.
Oooh, you do sound like a crafty type of person! ;) Those skills come in really handy with minis. I'm a textile artist (art quilts) and was so thrilled the first time I used my needlecrafts to make minis. With your craft skills, you'll be having a ball with decorating once the house is built.

I am working on the Coventry cottage, its been a trial but I am nearing the completion of the assembly process.

The Greenleaf building team is working on the Coventry Cottage now and are blogging the steps along the way. You can find the Coventry blogs at

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...=blog&blogid=15& The blogs are really cool because you get to see so many different building styles and versions of the same house.

Well I hope to gain alot of knowlegde from this board and I hope I dont annoy anyone.

Everyone here is so wonderfully helpful and you won't annoy anyone at all. But be prepared.....we're going to ask to see pictures of your Coventry Cottage before too long. :p We looooooooooove eye candy!

<casual pause> So, do you have any pictures of your Coventry? I'd love to see it! <_<

It's nice to meet you Laura. We're glad you joined us.

Deb

Hi Laura <_<

Welcome to the wonderful world of miniatures! :blink: The really great thing about being crafty is that no matter what craft you do - you can transfer that right into miniatures! If I could sew I sure could do a lot more ;) I don't trust myself with a needle lol. And a lot of scrapbooking stuff can be used for miniatures too! I bet you have a great time decorating your Coventry Cottage - and believe me there are not dumb questions.. well if there are I've already asked them myself LOL so have no fears about that - just jump on in and ask anything you want to know about miniatures :p

-David

!!WELCOME!! to the forum!

please ask any and all questions!

it is whay we have this forum!

what plans does your coventry have for itself?

are you bashing or giving it a strait from the box build?

we are all a little obsessive with photos. and we shall be so Happy to see any you would care to share!

again Welcome!

nutti <_<

Hi Laura and welcome to the forum. You're going to love coming here and of course we all know it won't be long before you start on your second house. Be prepared!!

Looking forward to seeing your progress on the Coventry.

Wecome to the forum, Laura, the building team is currently building & blogging on the Coventry Cottage, wo you might want to check out the blogs to see all the different things that little house is capable of telling you!

I have been heavily into all sorto of crafts, especially needlecrafts, all my life. Knitting in 1:12 gives me fits, but I also have to work at it in 1:1 scale, too.

There's no such thing as a "dumb" question, all questions are important because answers and solutions aren't always readily apparent. I am a master of reading the instructions VERY carefully and then assembling something backwards, upsidedown, insideout (most recently ;) ), or sideways (not yet... <_< ). Ask away!

My DH was an engineer and we moved a lot, too.

Welcome to the forum Laura. Sounds like you have a busy life-anyone with a almost two yr. old stays busy. I have a 2 yr old grandson and can hardly keep up with him (or the 11, 6 and almost 1 yr. granddaughters <_< )

The Lily was my first build and without the good people on this forum sharing their experiences and readiness to answer my many many questions, it may have not been completed. This is a great much of folks.

My oldest daughter is active duty air guard and her hubby is traditional air guard. Luckily, they haven't had to move. But you will see several military extended families here too. We're proud of our soldiers.

I agree with the others, would love to see pictures of your Coventry Cottage. I'm working on trying to turn mine into a dance studio.

My motto when I first started building was "Remember the Titanic was build by professionals, the Ark by amateurs" kept me focus.

are you bashing or giving it a strait from the box build?

Nutti since I have no clue what blasting means I must be doing the from the box build.

LOL I will have to get out in the garage and take some pictures, I will do that today during nap time.

Thanks EVERYONE for the warm welcome.

HI and welcome. ;) Bashing means to change it from what the instructions say. I was going to say from the pic on the box but how ever built the one for the pic on my Tiffany box did it backwards, so be careful if you build from the pic. I start with the instuctions but part way though kinda forget them until I get stuck. <_<

Welcome to the forum Laura,

I am a new builder too trying hard to work on the Garfield. Not much success for I am busy with our 13 year old daughters life. But I love being on here . Even if I am not working at the moment on my house it is nice to visit with everyone. Have met several "kindred spirits".

SuzyQ

Welcome Laura,

DH and I are retired AF and all our kids are gone now , "sigh", and I find my crafts and our two fur kids (boxers) fill my day. I took up miniatures seriously about two years ago and wish I had found this forum then. Their advise would have been a big help. These folks are so warm and welcoming and no question is either too silly or off the wall, they tackle them all!

Bev <_<

Hey Laura! Welcome! I'm working on the Coverntry as my first house too. After months of total inactivity, (I'm a f/t student and mom to a 12 y/o) I'm back at it. A stress fracture in my heel has left me home and not out running, so I've got some time.

Just today I'm priming the structural pieces, and the paint just won't dry fast enough! Will have pics when the first wall stands..again, Welcome!

Lori

Welcome!!!Hi,I'm new too.I've been doing minis seriously since 1985,but when my 4 year old twins started crawling ;) I put away all my Xacto tools,glues,etc and just did a few needlepoint rug kits. I've been on temporary disability and found this website and am trying to get my Glencroft going again.The pictures of the member's houses are incredibly inspiring!!!Our local mini club went defunct a few years ago and this website is like a really large mini club.I love Greenleaf houses because they are lightweight and portable,easy to kitbash,and have a lot of personality to begin with.I've got to go in the dungeon(celler) and take some house photos and figure out how to get them on here(Getting an avatar up was a process for me-I'm not exactly a computer whiz).My first house was a Beacon Hill.I made a 2 story addition for it with a Mansard roof from a piece of1/8" plywood I scavenged from a dumpster at work.

Welcome, Laura! Sounds like you keep pretty busy . . . be prepared to add addicted dollhouse builder to your list!! It's like a potato chip . . . you can't have just one!! ;)