Garfield Re:Having trouble w directions

AngieC

On the 3rd step is says R&P porch steps parts......

Glue the front porch end square to #13 and foundation base? That is where I am lost.

Does the square go glued on the inside part or the outside part? I can't find a picture and it is getting me upset. I want to go on to the next step but can't seem to understand this. Please help. So sorry about

all the questions today.

Thanx

:D

Okay, evidently I missed this step. have the foundation otherwise built, with the first floor on. No prob. This is what I get, the squares form the ends of the steps, so there aren't holes. The notched bit is a support. I can't figure where it's supposed to go based on the instructions (not that that's anything new) but I'm going to place it equidistant to part 8 from the ends. Then the riser and step simply fit in. Lots of filling and sinding and it should all look okay.

So I am forming the steps with these pieces on the outside of #13 foundation right? Doogster, thanks so much for your help. I was checking the gallery to see if you had pictures or any of the other ones building the Garfield but I couldn't tel from any of the pictures how this step went. Do you think I could skip it and come back to it when I am done sanding and filling this part of the foundation? Also I have gaps on the side to side foundation pieces and on the pieces that form the foundation. Did you have gaps in between piieces and if so did you just fill them with wood fill and sand it? Even when I did a dry run before glueing there were gaps even if I switched the piece around to make sure it was in the right position.

I didn't undertand the directions either! Shame on Greenleaf! I left my steps off until recently. My house is pretty much built. Unfortunately I'm at work and don't have new pics except for what on the links you see under my signature. I only have the front steps on and I don't think they are on properly but they are on! Skip it and go on the the next part. Maybe down the road the idea of how to do it will just POP into your head, like an "OH! That's how it will work!" moment. <_< I get those all the time. I'll get so frustrated with something and kill myself trying to figure it out, but then destress and move on. In a day or two my brain figures it out, or maybe even something else that can be done more creatively!

Good luck! Take pics!!

So I am forming the steps with these pieces on the outside of #13 foundation right? Also I have gaps on the side to side foundation pieces and on the pieces that form the foundation. Did you have gaps in between piieces and if so did you just fill them with wood fill and sand it? Even when I did a dry run before glueing there were gaps even if I switched the piece around to make sure it was in the right position.

The kitchen steps referred to in step 3 fit INTO the opening in part 13, they don't go outside. On the set of photos that comes with the kit the top right photos clearly shows the inset step, it's the photo where the back of the house, with the kitchen dormer, is to the front. In fact when you get the foundation together you'll see part 8 has a notch for the riser and step where it butts up to part 13.

Gaps in the foundation? Whatever do you mean? Just kidding, yeah, they were everywhere. I found I had to eventually mitre the corner between parts 13 and 1 to get any kind of fit. I used joint compound to fill, it works easily and sand easily.

Every one misses this step its the little stair that is on the long side.

it is the step that go to the back door

I don't know if you can see my avatar but that is the side that its on.

There is a little nich in the foundation that they fit in to.