Garfield windows???

AngieC

I have read different orders on the web to build the dollhouses and a few say to leave windows for the end. On the directions of the Garfield it mentions the windows in the 2nd page. Should I go ahead and do the windows or leave them for last? Thanks for your help.

Angie: I can't say for sure about the Garfield, but on the Lily, I sure wish I had waited. The problem with putting them in to early is the possibility of getting paint/stain/glue on them and having to wipe them off so much, it really dulls the finish. So, I would suggest that if at all possible I leave them until later--unless that means limited access to them.

I'm sure some of the ones that have built this will have a more definite suggestion for you.

If it's an area like a foyer that will be impossible to access once it's together you could install the interior trims and attach the acetate to the exterior trims when you're ready to finish the outside (leaving them for nearly last, when you're all done slinging paint & glue around). I'm with Peggi on not installing windows until you're all finished painting & gluing everything else.

I'm in the process of building, actually almost done, walls & floors are all up and painted. I did NOT put the windows in becasue I was witing on my working windows set, But I would have waited to put them in almost last either way. I couldn't imagine trying to paint around them, plus I stuck my hands through them window holes to get to the inside and paint in there.

I would say that the directions leave alot to be desired for the Garfield. Its almost a sore topic on the board. Go with your guts, ask alot of quesitons and just have fun. Everyone here is so nice and very helpful! I've met great people here in the few months I've been online!

Good luck and take pic of your progress. Not only for your self, as a memory of what you are doing, but fo rall of us to see what a great job you are doing, and future Garfield builders to get ideas from! Take a look online, find other Garfield builders, or dollhouses in general and maybe you can get more creative.

Picked up my windows today! They are really cute , but I'm a little dissapointed. A few were broken at the glue spots Easy enough to put them back together, but for the money I paid I shouldn't have to! Also they open and close well but many of them have gaps at the top when they close. They cool thing is that you are supposed to be able to take the windows out of the casings to paint them. Even with the little bit of disspointment I'm still excited for my Garfield to have cool working windows. I think it gives it more personality!

I'm planning on changing the windows entirely, don't like the shape, want to make then rectangles, lose the curve at the top. I'm getting better assaulting the luan without tearing it up so that should work out okay. Not sure if I'm just going to add a larger header to block the curve, or re-cut the opening (I'm leaning in that direction). I'd definitely finish the walls completely then glue in the windows, a clean edge is then essentially assured. It'd be a real bugger with clapboard siding.

I dry-fitted the windows last night and it looked so great that I can't wait to actually get them done. Its been a one time since I worked on the little house. Been too busy working on the big house!! I think I'm getting alot done today, so maybe I'll allow myself some time to work on The Garfield tonight. Need to finish painting the roof pieces now that I bought a 3rd can of FleckStone. (It look great by the way!!) I'll try to remember to take some pics. Going to get the camera right now and put it next to the DH.