3/21/06 Do you talk to your houses while you build?

I have always noticed that I talk to my houses as I build them.

My family over look this because now they know I am just talking to the dollhouse. I was wondering, how many of you "talk" to you houses as you build (I know some say magic words) but do you actually talk to your house.

For instance, I'll ask the house does it like the new roof I put on it? or Why can't you let the door fit the first time around? Or, I don't think you look good in blue, why didn't you tell me this before I wasted so much time painting you this color?" :D

If you don't talk to your houses, do you do anything that the average NON dollhouse builder would think is odd?

If you don't talk to your houses, do you do anything that the average NON dollhouse builder would think is odd?

Sorry I don't talk to my dollhouse. We haven't bonded yet. Maybe if I'd work on it on a regular basis we could have a nice chit-chat. :D

Can't think of anything weird at the moment but I am sure my husband could tell you plenty. He thinks I'm goofy.

SuzyQ

Yes, I talk to my little houses. No, I don't address any of the *magic* words at them, I turn the air blue in frustration because after reading the instructions at least three times I've still installed something upidedown, backwards or (this time) insideout (nothing sideways yet, that I know of...).

Mostly it's "why won't this fit?" or "my, that looks better than we thought it would!" Considering how much these little houses have to say to me about what they want to be & how they want to look, it'd be rude if I didn't talk to them in reply. Usually I tell it the story about the little people I'm going to have live in it.

The Cambridge's cook & butler are going to move into the Coventry when it's "done" because the Wee family take up all the available room (the girls need a new bed that's big enough for them both). Also Reggie & Annie are getting on in years & no one cares that they aren't married (except maybe Annie), so they can have their own house to go home to at night & spend their days off puttering in the garden or sitting on the porch swing.

Yeah, I talk to my dollhouses. Mostly about decorating. I share wallpaper selections, lamps, flooring, carpets, pictures....I don't let them do the choosing though. I'm kind of controlling that way.

Susanne

Sure I talk to them! We have whole conversations. :D I pet them and tell them how good they're being and if I do something that's a little forceful like shaving a tab or putting a little torque on something, I talk it thru it and then praise it for being so cooperative when we're done. I tell them how good they're looking and what we're going to do next. Sometimes I sit back and tell them to talk to me when we reach a point of not knowing quite what we're going to do next. If I use magic words, it's never directed at the house....those are just tossed out at the cosmos in general. :D I talk to my houses after they're built too. And before. I chat with the ones in boxes all the time to let them know that I haven't forgotten them.

Of course, I talk to other objects too. I was talking to mushrooms last night. I dumped some in a hot skillet with some olive oil and they were popping and bouncing up and down so I started whacking them with a wooden spoon and telling them to just quit fighting it and die with dignity. Bruce has learned to take it all in stride, altho he did poke around in his stroganoff and tried to keep a casual tone when he asked me, "This is beef, right?". <cackle>

Deb

I do talk to my houses.. mostly it's something like "You &88#@&* little **#!@@.. Let GO of that wall!" :D or "Don't make me knock your windows out" .. usually as I'm trying to pry a window loose from it's frame. Or "I'll get the hammer, I ain't playin' " Of course occasionally I'm nice "Now if you come loose easily I wont' have to break anything and you don't want to spend the rest of your life painted pink do you?" but mostly it's the other. And then there is always the sinister "MWAHAHAHAHA" as I fire up the dremel to do some .. customizing :D

Do I do anything that the average non dollhouse builder would think is odd? Just admitting I build dollhouses is usually enough to fit that bill lol :lol:

mostly it's something like "You &88#@&* little **#!@@.. Let GO of that wall!" :lol: or "Don't make me knock your windows out" .. usually as I'm trying to pry a window loose from it's frame. Or "I'll get the hammer, I ain't playin' " Of course occasionally I'm nice
I'm with David on this one, I'm afraid I did aim a few "magic words" at the Lily from time to time. But I also will go by it and pet it now and say "Now, didn't you turn out so nice looking". LOL

do you do anything that the average NON dollhouse builder would think is odd?

Strange, you should ask this today, at supper, I was telling my husband while eyeing the plastic round top covering a store bought cake, that I thought I could take that and turn it into a round reception desk (you know like you see in some offices) and then immediately was asking what he thought I could use to make a round looking elevator to transport my ballerinas from the 1st to 2nd floor of the Coventry, and he looks at George (our dog) and tells him, "I think it's time we begin to worry about her, she's beginning to get a little strange". :D:D :lol:

I have no idea why he thinks this, (I did throw the cake cover away--just wasn't suitable for the purpose I wanted) but I have my idea of what I want, I just have to start eyeing more things that might be suitable for the designated purposes. (Strange--maybe, but looking at common items to make an entirely different item in miniature is becoming a habit--part of the addiction?)

Oh yes, I do indeed talk to the houses while I'm building. Sometimes I coax them, sometimes I cajole them, sometimes I curse them, sometimes I tell them how pretty they are, sometimes it's talking to me, sometimes I'm talking to them. And when they're really bad, I force them into submission. And sometimes they force me into submission, make me walk away, so that I will listen to what they are saying when I come back to them.

Dean, what did I tell you about that analyzing stuff? Don't even try it buddy!

Actually when I take my pictures in for processing I tell the photo lab people they're dollhouse pictures & I'm blogging online (so they'll print them ALL so I can put them in order before I insert them into the blog) and there's one at our local Wally World who asks me all sorts of "how'd you do that?" questions.

I still get some funny looks as I gather up empty butter, jelly & coffee lightener packets, etc.

Of course, I talk to other objects too. I was talking to mushrooms last night. I dumped some in a hot skillet with some olive oil and they were popping and bouncing up and down so I started whacking them with a wooden spoon and telling them to just quit fighting it and die with dignity.

Deb, you kill me!! :lol: I haven't laughed so hard since I don't know when! :D:D :lol:

I talk to my houses as I go along . . . but it's not anything I want to admit to! :o I also talk to all my birds and my dogs, but it's not anything they want to admit to! :lol:

I talk to mine also. Especially when I find out something I did doesn't look right. ""Why didn't you tell me this wasn't going to work before I put the wallpaper in?"

Peggi- your husband and George may think you're a little strange now but just wait, some afternoon He will come into the room holding something little and say don't you think this would make a nice mini something or other? Or he'll say doen't this look like something you can use? It may take a while since you are still semi-new but our addiction tends to wear off on them little by little.

terri

Terri: You're right, he doesn't want to admit it, but he's enjoying this hobby with me. He lets me come up with ideas, but he has been a big help in figuring out how I can execute them :D . The secret is though, I have to plant the idea in his head run some riduculous way of doing it by him and then he'll "show" me how to make a plan work.

It helps that he likes the tools--we've just purchased a mini bench saw and bench sander--so I think he is finally getting the hint that this is a "shared" hobby (not to the extent that Jimmy & Darrell share with Linda and Melissa) but we're still fairly new.

He was the one that said we need a log cabin.

Thing is that's how it works in our real house too. :D

Of course occasionally I'm nice "Now if you come loose easily I wont' have to break anything and you don't want to spend the rest of your life painted pink do you?" but mostly it's the other. And then there is always the sinister "MWAHAHAHAHA" as I fire up the dremel to do some .. customizing :D

<gasping in shock> David!!! You actually say those things to your houses? Yer jus' mean! <making notes on pad............"dremel"......"customizing".........okay, I got it> heheheheheheehee I'll have to try that "motivational dialogue" the next time one of my houses puts up a fight.

and he looks at George (our dog) and tells him, "I think it's time we begin to worry about her, she's beginning to get a little strange".

Okay. Stop and consider this. He's having a conversation with the dog and he calls *you* strange????? :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll have to try that "motivational dialogue" the next time one of my houses puts up a fight.

I don't use harsh or threatening language when talking to my houses, as I mentioned. If verbal persuasion doesn't work I coax cooperation with a hammer! :D

Oh Deb, I can't stop laughing.

<giggling> That's easy for you to say! You're not the one who sees his wife making death threats to something in a skillet and then fifteen minutes later cheerfully chirps, "Sweetheart, dinner's ready!". :D

Deb

Whattttt!!!!

No!

well OK, maybe the occasional curse but thats not talking to it. Thats just giving it a warning. I mean - it should no better. Stubborn critter.

so no!!

Whattttt!!!!

No!

well OK, maybe the occasional curse but thats not talking to it. Thats just giving it a warning. I mean - it should no better. Stubborn critter.

so no!!

Hi,I don't talk to my houses as much as they talk to me.The Glencroft and Westville are upset because my husband made me move them into the cellar so our son could have my former hobbyroom as a bedroom.They continue to plot to escape from the dungeon and are trying to make it up on the enclosed front porch.The half inch colonial(also a recent cellar dweller,entombed in a plastic tub,no less!)wants out,too. The mobile dollhome has been in the dungeon for years and is thrilled I glued it's wheels back on so it can go live in a real mobile home.The unfinished one room Thomas bungalow someone gave me years ago(she attended a workshop) has been depressed about her longtime neglect in the dungeon but has become rather anxious as a bizarre occupant is going to move in and remuddle her sometime soon,using some components I've bought at local mini shops going out of business.Bye-bye Thomas cloud line windows...hello,jalousies and air conditioner!The quarterinch vintage hotel still in my 4 year old son's room is screaming"SAVEME!!!SAVE ME!!!Odd and proud of it!!!!

The exterior of my house is being painted BLUE. Does that give you an idea of how I have been talking to my house lately?

No-o-o-o! You don't cuss AT them! Just about the process of making them what they want to be! (although I painted the Westville blue, but that's the colors the lady wanted, and it was what $he paid for <_< ). At least you won't need to worry about small critters moving in for a while...

Welcome to the forum cmacri!!

I have houses waiting to escape the garage because there is just no room here anymore either. Oh how I hate it when the houses start whinning to come out and be built. Yeap, I hear there voices too. Does that mean I am Crazy <_<