I'm Here

My name is Lyn and I live in Northern Vermont with my husband and daughter. I have never built a dollhouse of my own. I received the Pierce for my birthday last July and I need to renovate it. The whole thing is a total disaster!

I do own a couple of dollhouses that were gifts. One is a cardboard Edwardian and the other is a plastic 2-story house made by Better Homes and Gardens, from the late 70's.

I've always loved dollhouses. the first I ever played with was my mother's from the 1930's. Unfortunately, my sister sat on that one and I'm sure you can guess what happened! :blink:

I really enjoyed reading the posts on the old forum and got many great ideas for renovating the Pierce. Can't wait to figure this new forum out, to get more interesting info. I think this forum will be great and I love the idea of doing swaps.

Hello, lyn, Have y'all gotten spring yet? We loved visiting your part of the world last year, but when people complain how hot their summer is because it got over 80 a couple of times, I wonder...

How's the Pierce restoration coming along? I'm afraid the word "disaster" activates my rather graphic imagination.

Thanks Holly, Judith and Tracy for welcoming me back.

Is it spring in Vermont yet................? Hum, that's a good question Holly! We've had nothing but rain for 3 weeks. Memorial weekend was half sunshine and half downpour. Temperatures in the 50's. Yesterday and today actually got into the high 60's and low 70's. Maybe Mother Nature has finally decided to let us have Spring!!!!

About the only thing I've done on the PIERCE is remove some of the floor mouldings (which are cut short and not mitered :D ) and some of the old wallpaper. Thank goodness they came off easy. The rest of the house really is a disaster. The stairs and railings are broken both inside and out. The shingles were put on with staples and they all stick through the roof into the house. I want to remove them and glue down the shingles. DH said he would cut and file the staple ends. Don't know which method would be better. The kitchen has a real parquet floor and it's crooked. The other floors are all papered and were never varnished, so they are all peeling.

I actually don't have the space right now to work on the dollhouse. DH decide he was going to lay hardwood flooring in our kitchen and dining room. The dining room furniture is sitting in the middle of my living room! :blink:

No dollhouse picture, but I'm working on it.

lyn

lyn, would it be easier just to use a staple-puller & remove the staples? I use heavy-duty staples with a Stanley stapler & the staples ease out with a flat-bladed screwdriver. You could sand the ceiling below & spackle it smooth & paint it (or not), and then glue your shingles on. I think I would buy a package of coarse sandpaper and randomly smear touches of different color chalk pastels and cut them into shingles (strips about 1 1/4" long & cut the strips 3/4 way through at 3/4" intervals).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lyn! Nice to have you here. I am a newbie myself. The pierce will be my first project ever! We'll learn together. This is such a great forum, with such great people to learn from! I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

n