What is that worm that lives in a shell called?

More Minis Dollhouses

A long time ago when I lived in a very old house with hardwood floors, I used to see these little bugs every once in a while that appeared to be a tiny worm living in a flat football shaped shell. There were openings on either side and they would come out and crawl, pulling their shell with them. I never found out what they were.

Ive searched all of Google and cant find the little critters. Does anyone on here know what they are? The thought is bugging (no pun intended) to no end!

Nopes. It certianly not a snail. Its a brown long worm. It is nasty. When I was little I thought they were "cute" but if I see one now, it would be disgusting. They are actually very small. The shell is gray/brown. When they want to change direction, the just flip inside their shell and come out through the other side. Im dieing to know what they are...lol

Oh really, Gayle. All the ones I see here have their shells on. We get alot of them outdoors and sometimes you step on them and the shells crack, terrible feeling.

I'm sure these are not what Gina is thinking of though because she mentions small, the ones here are definitely not small, they are usually 3 - 4 inches or longer in length.

They aren't slugs, I used to know their scientific name, but basically they make their little "shells" out of dust and worm-spit/ worm-goo, and they eat holes in clothes, similar to moth larvae (which they aren't). We used to get them in our house in West Palm Beach, along with silverfish in the old books DM kept stored in her windowseat; those are some other really nasty bugs, too!

Holly I think you got it. Maybe with this new info I can better search on Google. I never saw them again after I left that house. Thank goodness I dont have them in this one. I have seen a silverfish here once and it was disgusting. I really hate those bugs.

We have Skinks by the plentiful here. I cannot stand those things. Lizards are not that bad but God I hate those skinks. They seem to migrate to my garage every summer. We will be sitting out there and one comes out and I jump 20 feet in the air. Those and huge spiders YUK

They aren't snails, they are small, thin brown segmented worms.

Yesterday AM when it was freezing a** cold we had two anoles decide to come in the house in the front bedroom. I find that a spritz of Raid usually inspires them to find their way back outside. I think it was the year our cycling club had its "Dog Days" weekend at Oleno State Park and DH & I went hiking and I walked right into a banana spider's web; those things are HUGE, but easy enough to see that DH was able to brush it off of me before it could bite me.

Sharon, it's funny you mentioned skinks, my husband told me yesterday he saw one and described it to me as a cross between a lizard and a snake and I didn't believe him that one exists. Now I guess I have to apologize to him :blink:

Gina, I don't know the answer to your question, wish I did though. Living in the "country" where we live now, I've seen a whole new variety of bugs and spiders and other critters but thank goodness, very few palmetto bugs! I used to see those horrid things all the time when I lived in Broward County.

Christine

Long ago, when I lived in California, there were big brown snails busy in the ground ivy. The LA Times ran an article about them. They were the same kind of snails that are cooked and eaten in France. I love snails -- or maybe the garlic flavored butter they swam in -- so I followed the directions in the article. Got a couple of buckets, put the snails and some cornmeal and raw cabbage in one, transfered them to the other when the first bucket got too yukky. This was to fatten them up and clean out any of the pesticides or herbicides they may have picked up grazing in the ivy. The process was rather time consuming, tedious, and unappetizing. When it came time to cook them, there were more complicated gymnastics to perform. The end result: one very tiny serving of snails. I marked it up to one more life experience I didn't have to repeat. :blink:

None of which helps with the original question here, but this memory jogged loose and insisted on being shared!