Newbie & New Garfield

AngieC

Hello all my name is Angie and I am a mother of 4 kids and 2 step-kids. I am also the proud owner of 2 shih tzu dogs. I love dolls, digital scrapbooking and dollhouses. I have built two in the past and due to moving I had to give them away. My first one was the Dura-craft Cambridge and the other one was a Dura-craft Farmhouses 505. I ordered the Greenleaf Garfield this past Tuesday and I should be getting it Monday afternoon.

We own our own home now so this time I should be able to keep my dollhouse. When I built my houses in the past I didn't worry about warping or anything else because I wasn't aware of it. After reading the boards there is so much to do before building that I want to make sure I get it right. My questions are:

What sealer should I use? Do I seal as I go or seal everything before I get started? What else do you advise about the Garfield? I got Tom's Tips from Earth & Tree DH's so if there is anything else I should know feel free to let me know. Thanks in advance.

Angie

Welcome to the forum, Angie. As you read over the different topics you'll find many of your questions have been answered, especially if you use the "search" button. I personally use a clear sanding sealer and seal each side before removing anything from the sheets (unless I want to stain it first, like floors, and then I scribe and stain them before sealing). However I'm trying something a little different, since some of our folks don't seal, I want to see how that works for me.

I have also built the Cambridge (mine) and the San Franciscan (my first kit, for DGD) from Dura-Craft before discovering Corona & Greenleaf kits.

Welcome Angie and congratulations on the Garfield! I'm on of those that doesn't seal anything, so I can't answer that question. However, if you'll look at the construction blogs, there's lots of good tips in there!

Thanks for your quick responses. I am so anxious to get my DH I can't stay off the boards. Havanaholly do you have any pictures of your finished Cambridge you can share? I only got to the built stage. I didn't even finish putting on the shingles.

Welcome Angie

I too am working on the Garfield. We bought it for our 13 year old daughter to build "together". She has decided that mom should to the work and she will be the decorater. Typical huh? That's ok I am having a ball. Not too much is done because of a busy life. I am sure you know all about that with your large family. We do have the foundation finished and have much of the window trim stained and painted. Some of the exterior window trim has been put on. I didn't seal mine either. Now it is looking at me waiting for our sweet friends from out of town to leave next week so I can get back to work. :angry:

Have fun with your mini.

SuzyQ

Welcome to the forum Angie! It's nice to meet you.

You'll probably get a different answer from each person on sealing styles. :angry: I'm a sealer, but I seal after I've removed the piece from the sheet and sanded it. I use clear sealer on anything that is going to be wallpapered and a white primer for anything that's going to be painted. I have a thing for high gloss wood floors, so like Holly, I scribe, stain and varnish. I do all my papering, painting and staining before I assemble the house, but again, that's just a matter of personal preference.

Congrats on getting a Garfield. It's truly a beautiful house.

Deb

I started out planning to seal, but decided to see how things went with the wood 'raw' so to speak. Carpenters and cabinet makers never seal wood before assembly. Wood glue works far better on wood, otherwise you're gluing the sealer to sealer. On the Greenleaf wood I found sealing wasn't necessary, the wood's pretty soft, so slivers aren't a concern. I found completing the cut with a utility knife, then going over the edges with a palm sander (got mine at Harbor Freight for $8.99) did a great job. BTW, for sandpaper I love 3M's Sandblaster papers. If I was building a Dura-Carft house I'd definitely seal it before removing the pieces, their wood is like rock, and sliver are like sewing needles.

And remember, the GOOD side is always visible. It might seem like the piece fits better with the poor side out, but in the end you should build with the good side visible.