3/17/06 What Are You Afraid Of?

What are you most afraid of? Bugs, Snakes, Spiders, Dogs, Certain Foods or people, Germs?? You name it, we want to know.

:)

Ok my fear is not really of things my biggest fear is of failing as a mother. Our daughters brain is probably about to overload from all of the life lessons I try to teach her. :angry:

Oh and I am scared of driving over bridges. ;)

SuzyQ

Iam afraid of snakes and when tractor trailers pass you on the highway Iam scared they will run me off the road.Bridges only bother me when the weather is bad and when its windy out.

Heights didn't used to bother me until a few years ago, I think it has to do with messed up sense of balance getting worse as I get older. Falling is frightening to me now that I've had my first bone density test and learned I have bone mass reduction in the hip.

I'm afraid of being on the streets when Linda's driving Jimmy's white truck. :angry:

Deb

ROFLMREO!!!!

You'll be OK Deb, so long as you aren't in the left hand lane on the interstate driving less than the posted speed limit and refuse to move over.

Spiders and bridges. Quite embarassing really since there are lots of spiders in my garage.. I always check that no neighbors are around before I go rummaging about in there - quite embarassing to have them see me running out while shrieking and then stomping and jumping around doing the "I think I have a spider on me" dance. lol :angry:

And bridges.. ugghghghgh the longer the bridge the worse it is. I can go over a nice short bridge.. but the really tall long ones?... no thank you. And no - I've never been in an airplane either - I'd much rather take a train.. though I also don't like the bridges that trains sometimes have to go over either.

-David

Spiders! iiiiiccckk! It's quite comical to see me...whether i truly get one on me, or think i see one on me, i start beating myself and making the oddest screams....oh and sometimes i start running around. Oh, i'm also afraid of dogs, being alone after watching a scary movie, driving next to semi trucks (my sister was killed by one, and i've been run off into the emergency lane on two different occassions), driving in the snow and i'm sure there are more, but that's all that comes to the top of my head :angry:

It's quite comical to see me...whether i truly get one on me, or think i see one on me, i start beating myself and making the oddest screams....oh and sometimes i start running around.

LOLOL - sounds like we have the same spider dance heheheh :angry:

-David

Oh I thought of another, ;)

Going through tunnels that go under the water. EEKK!!. I would rather take the Bridge to Canada (even though I am scared of bridges also) than take the tunnel to see my sister.

When we were in DC recently we took the subway alot. There was always this one area that our ears would start popping. Someone finally informed us that we were going under the water. I did not need to know that. :angry:

SuzyQ

Interesting, arachnophobia seems to be winning, spiders don't bother me in the slightest. I think thye're wonderful creatures, the hedges around my Dad's back yard are loaded with them in the summer, and the one thing his yard is not loaded with, is mosquitoes. And there are a ton of skeeters around the Great Lakes.

What scares me is distracted drivers, here in Utah the big offender is cell phone use, especially teens. Fact is independent research (ie not funded by insurance companies) has proven people talking on cell phones CAUSE 60% more accidents than people not using cell phone. That's more than drunk drivers. Though I'm not pointing the finger only at teens, the moron who almost flattened me by driving his Mack dumptruck straight through a stop sign without even slowing down (talking on a cell phone) must have been in his 40's.

Spiders & snakes don't bother me, either. We get some spectacularly lovely spiders here in N FL & the majority of the snakes we get in the yard or house have been nonpoisonous (and I WILL kill the poisonous ones, we got a mini-rattler in our house in Jacksonville once, I killed it & let DH dispose of its cadaver).

DS#3 is terrified of spiders, but the kicker to me is DDIL's dread of harmless little green anole lizards!

Okay.... Time to admit to a whole bunch of you my biggest fears! (deep breath)

I am afraid of thunderstorms and wind storms. We have BIG trees in our back yard that face our bedroom. I have an irrational fear that those trees could fall down and hit the house.

I am also afraid of electricity. LOL Not like a Quaker would be afraid of it. Example. We had an old microwave oven. I mean OLD! I mean so big you could probably zap a 20lb turkey in it. I had dh get rid of it cause I just had this fear that it was going to zap one of us. It didnt give us any problems but it was ingrained in my head!

I used to be afraid of the dark but got over it after I had kids. There are more scary things in the world then to worry about what might be in the dark! (Exhale)

I hate those "millipede" (Some call them thousand legs) I HATE those. We used to live in a condo 2 blocks from the lake and those were a BIG problem. I was cleaning up my bedroom and found one as long as my foot running on the floor and Chris came home just in time to see me and David screaming and jumping on the bed (Cause we never saw one so big). When chris saw it (Broom in hand) even HE was startled by the size of this one (He sceramed too LOL) . That is when we did get exterminators to take care of the problem. :angry:

I used to be scared of spiders until I met THOSE creatures Ughhhhh

Actually, this is a picture of the kind we used to get UGGHHHH seeing the pictures gives me the Creeps. When you smash them, they desinigrate and look like powder. They move so fast and look like a feather being blown on the floor Yikes!!

This is a picture I found online.

post-4-1142869979_thumb.jpg

We get those rarely, more often we get what look like extra-long centipedes; they climb in through the drains. Raid kills them just fine. I dislike cockroaches/ palmetto bugs & I'll scream if one gets on me (they should live so long!), but I scream more as a startle reflex than fear, since I proceed to flick it off & kill it (unless it's a spider or other non-insect).

My fear is planes hitting the house. I live in a valley and there just happens to be an airport on a mountain that surrounds my city. Recently, people in power have decided this airport will be used for large commercial flights. I have skylights in the bedroom and laying in bed and watching these planes fly overhead, I often wonder if they are going to make it atop the mountain. Some come in so low. One time, while I was hanging laundry out on the line (yes, I still do that) a 737 was doing a turn right above me so low that I actually ducked. It was truly horrifying.

Wendy

I hate those "millipede" (Some call them thousand legs) I HATE those. We used to live in a condo 2 blocks from the lake and those were a BIG problem. I was cleaning up my bedroom and found one as long as my foot running on the floor and Chris came home just in time to see me and David screaming and jumping on the bed (Cause we never saw one so big). When chris saw it (Broom in hand) even HE was startled by the size of this one (He sceramed too LOL) . That is when we did get exterminators to take care of the problem. :angry:

I used to be scared of spiders until I met THOSE creatures Ughhhhh

Oh I hate those things too. We had a pest control guy come once to spray and one came running out from under my fridge and the guy freaked. Some bug man huh?

SuzyQ

Bugs and spiders aren't a big fear of mine. Living farther north, we don't get as many. Our cold Winters (and Springs) keep the populations down. Alberta is also rat free. The only snakes in our area are grass snakes. Southern Alberta has some rattlers. Other than tornado season, we don't get a lot of crazy storms here either. I'm only aware of a one time incident where a tornado actually touched down within the city limits. Mostly they touch down in the surround countryside.

Actually, I can't think of a big fear. I'm not a worrier by any means.

Here's Spring in Edmonton (photo taken just yesterday). Now you can see why bugs, spiders, snakes and rats don't particularly like it here! :angry:

Here's Spring in Edmonton (photo taken just yesterday). Now you can see why bugs, spiders, snakes and rats don't particularly like it here! :angry:

Edmonton? As in Edmonton, Alberta?

As in, that's where my niece moved to?

Actually, this is a picture of the kind we used to get UGGHHHH seeing the pictures gives me the Creeps. When you smash them, they desinigrate and look like powder. They move so fast and look like a feather being blown on the floor Yikes!!

This is a picture I found online.

Gee - thanks Tracy :angry: ... those things were my worst childhood fear ughhghgh we used to call them centipedes - I think the milipedes have shorter legs and are longer.. those .. feathery ones.. <shudder> well we used to have a lot of those where I grew up - I used to have nightmares about those things! - now that I've moved fortunately I haven't seen a single one.. however we do on occasion get scorpions.. they're small and almost colorless but I HATE them worse than I do spiders! EEEKK!

-David (with a case of heebee geebees) That's ok - extra incentive to get the spring cleaning done ;)