raincoat from rubber glove

christinee

I kind of see it but have so many questions, one of which is how you put the pieces together. Would glue hold?? Sure would love more of a pattern if anyone finds one. This is something I've been thinking about for months.

Thank you for the links! I'm still looking for the actual pattern but this is very helpful. Holly, what you found on Small stuff is pretty much how I envisioned it in my head. I have 4 pairs of rubber gloves in case I mess up one or two LOL I'll take pics and try to blog it if it comes out ok.

Christine

I wrote the lady that runs About.com site for the miniatures and this is what she said:

Hi Jennifer,

The raincoat project was owned by a previous writer on the miniatures site and it was removed when she left. I'm not sure, but you may be able to search for it in 2005 or 2006 on the Internet Archive Way back machine. (if this link doesn't work, search for wayback machine then enter the url http://miniatures.about.com) All I remember is that it used a pair of yellow rubber gloves, and one of the fingers became the hood.

Hope this helps! You could try asking on the forum, in case someone saved the file and still has it on their computer.

Lesley Shepherd

This is a rough draft of the pattern you would need. Each black line in the graph represents 1 inch. Copy the image and paste it to a word document then enlarge it tell the lines are 1 inch apart. I hope it can help.

After you enlarge it print it out. cut it out of the paper and try it on the doll. The top of the sleeves may need to be less rounded. You can see what needs to be done by how the paper pattern fits the doll. If it fits then lay the pattern on your glove and cut away.

This is a cute pattern! I love using rubber gloves for raincoats, slickers etc....and the fingers make great arms and legs for them, and the thumb as stated is a great hat. Leather gloves work great for leather jackets, same thing, fingers for arms, thumb for hat.....and I once lined one with a tiny bit of flecce and made an aviator hat out of it. So many things you can do with old very thin leather gloves.....

Now, that is a great idea. My house is going to be a real farm house, with the boots by the door and the hat on the rack. I even have a tiny little leather saddle with silver trims on it that I found at an estate sale and will hang over the porch rails. Wouldn't a vest on the bedpost be cool? And if I can scan a bandana and shrink it to size, it would look like the Duke's house...maybe I should hang the hat on the weathervane? :thumb:

I've been looking for a doll that looks like a farmer or cowboy-no luck so far. I just have this picture in my mind, and nothing suits!

Sherry, I needed a farmer doll for my Mardi Gras float. I bought a porcelain Santa doll from Pat Bolt and dressed him myself. I didn't have a pattern, just chopped up cloth and glued away. The tailoring isn't too precise, and I later realized there were some easier ways to do it, but I think he turned out all right.

Woohoo! I made a mini raincoat!! Here's my attempt at a rubber glove raincoat. I am pleased with the results. I have another pic in my gallery with the hood up on the doll. This little guy is going to be the lightkeeper for my Uncle's Lighthouse/Gift. I painted on buttons in the interest of time since I didn't have beads/hooks on hand, but next time I would rather use beads/hooks for added realism.

In the next few days, I'll post a tutorial on how I made the raincoat. It's pretty easy once I figured out how to do it. I went through about 4 gloves before I got this result (2 pairs) but they're so cheap, it was fun experimenting!

Thanks for all the help and insight! I couldn't have done it without everyone who contributed their ideas and feedback.

Christine

post-2289-1229841424_thumb.jpg