Surviving Bedrest...until the baby is born

CJEP

Just a quick note, I've been put on bedrest for the past week and hopefully for a couple of more. My original due date is January 12th, but my ob said there was no way I would make it that long. She is hoping I make it to the last week of December or the first week in January. I have been going a bit stir crazy, but finally got my wireless turned on so I can have contact with the world again. Of course, I stopped doing dollhouse work awhile ago when my hands began to swell. Fine motor skills have definitely gone done hill. Luckily I finished the Adams way ahead of the deadline (and have posted pictures).

It has been a crazy week. I got put on bedrest, my husband has been working overtime due to the ice storm that hit last Friday (I barely see him for an hour of awake time), my grandmother passed away over the weekend (we have been expecting it since August) and now my parents are here to help out at least until tomorrow. My parents were my grandmother's main caretakers so my father hasn't been able to visit for quite awhile, so it is good to have them here.

Well that is my update on my life. I'm just hoping my little daughter will stay in me until after Christmas, so please keep us in your prayers.

You stick to the Doctors orders..

Ooo! Have the baby on my birthday..January 6th. Then she can celebrate regular Christmas and little Christmas. Take it easy and let us know how you are doing.

BTW..How are you doing? You know you can watch tv shows online if you do not have it in the bedroom. How big has the bump gotten? Luckily it is December and not August.

Give a holler on here when you are bored..There is always somebody online.

Make sure you take it easy Carrie. Put a "do not open til at least Christmas" sticker on that baby bump and try to enjoy your bed rest. There won't be much resting after the wonderful event. I'm sorry to hear of your Grandmother's passing. Even though it may have been expected, it is still a stressful time, especially in your delicate condition.

Carrie, Miss Grayson's mommy had to go stay on bedrest the last six weeks before she put in her appearance, supposedly three weeks early, but with APGARs all 10s I don't think she was all that early! Are they giving you steroids to help her lungs develop? That's the big bugbear with early arrivals. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

I'm doing fine. Just bored and laying on my left side all day and night gives my body aches and pains. I tend to move to the couch during the day to watch tv since my doctor said I could get up for food and bathroom/showers and of course all the doctor's appointments. Unfortunately there is not much worth watching on tv.

My sister who is an occupational therapist in a NICU told me that the lungs should be fully developed after this week, so we should be all set as long as I can make it that long and at this point I think I should. The bedrest seems to be doing the trick. My blood pressure is down and so is the swelling. Now it is just rest and wait.

I feel for you Carrie.

#1- I got away scott free

#2 -three and a half weeks of home bedrest, emerg cs delivery at 37 +2

#3 -15 weeks HOSPITAL bedrest, successful cs delivery 37 weeks (no NICU)

If you ever want to chat drop me an email. You and your dd should be in a good position if she decides it is time. The biggest thing is to actually stay in bed and at rest! It does AMAZINIG wonders for the BP in many cases but needs to be adhered to.

I know as time went on (and on and on and on) I felt more invincible ( I can, should do more now)and frustrated that I should be doing more and was letting the other members of my family down ( I was in hospital 1000 km from home), but in the end, I would not trade on single hour of all that painful (physical and mental) time for what turned out to be the most amazing end result. I persevered, cried, got angry and frustrated but stuck it out and you will too!

I could not read, did knit a blanket, watched tv, and socialized with all the staff but it was INSANELY boring and you actually have to kinda zone out from the real world to stay insane lol

Since you have wireless, finish baby shopping and go to sidelines.org . There are some amazing ladies there and no matter how sad a sob story I felt, there was always someone there that made me truly thankful for the position I was in and the odds that slowly began to swing into my and my sons favor as time passed.

You are less than a month away from meeting your daughter and the longer you bake her the more vigorous, nicely plump, alert baby you will have to share that meeting with.

Good luck and email or PM if you would like.

edit...do you have a body pillow...if not get one...get someone to go to walmart and get one or even two, one front and one back....it will save you tonnes of pain!

Carrie, I'm so sorry at the loss of your Grandmother.

Yup, just take it as easy as you can. Let your Mom and Dad wait on you again like when you were little.

As far as junk on TV, make a list of movies you've always wanted to see, then send your folks to the library or video store to rent them. Maybe all 3 of you can watch together. Just don't laugh to much. :music_band:

Have hubby or somebody bring you a couple newspapers every day (the NY Post is the best in cheap metro sensationalism..LOL), get some books together (have you read the Twilight series yet?), knit or crochet, do you have the big red box rentals in MA? $1 a day movie rentals. If you can get hold on somebodies Nintendo DS, there are some fun games on it..Crosswords, Solitaire, Brain Age, Sudoku.

You have the internet. Try www.hulu.com. You can watch movies and tv shows (even old ones) for free. Didnt you mention that you did scrapbooking?

You could do that in bed. Even Youtube can give you some real grins and giggles.

Anyone else have some ideas of what she can do until the bun is still cooking?

I had to go to on bedrest with both my last two in the first trimester to prevent spontaneously aborting them. In addition to knitting & crocheting wee items I sewed their little shirts and sacques and nightgowns.

I miss so much by not coming to visit!

I was on bed rest twice, once for 20 weeks. Having a lap top and plenty of movies was a life saver. There is an organization called "sidelines" that has past survivors of bed rest that will visit you or call you on the phone to chat, they also loan laptops if you do not already have on. If you have not already, get instructions for exercise for your arms and legs, so you do not loose muscle mass. I was just rubber legged and easily exhausted for weeks from the loss of muscle after the first full bed rest baby was born. The second time, with exercise, was much better. I was in the hospital for weeks and I literally did not get up at all, except to pee and take a three minute daily shower for 23 days in a row. In hindsight, I would have to say that bed rest is cake (chocolate cake!) compaired to the stress of having a tiny preemie.

Good luck!

It sounds like you are not really taking it easy!! Tsk. It has to be boring though to just lay there. And your only going out fun is to the doctor. It won't be long though and your prize will be delivered!

I am sorry about your grandmother.

Rest lots and take care. Got any 'bump' pics to share?

Well, I went to the doctor's today. If all goes well this week she is planning on inducing me next Tuesday. So it is only one more week of bedrest. Hopefully my sister will not mind sharing her birthday with my baby.

So far my muscle and bone masses seem to be ok. I do have to admit I'm not the best bedrest patient so I'm up a little each day so nothing is getting completely lost. But the swelling is done and my blood pressure although still high, is done.

I am glad. If it werent for your blood pressure, I would have tried to shoot for a New Year`s baby. But anyday is a perfect day to have your little one.

You are going to be induced? I was induced with Natalie and it was a fast labor. If memory serves me correctly, I had her in four hours after they started the drip. If they offer drugs..take them!

We will be rooting for you here.