Cast Polyurethane and Poly Resin Architectural Pieces

Merry

I really did do a search on this, but 0 answers came up.

Has anyone used the cast polyurethane and poly resin pieces for trim and/or embellishments?

Do you like them? Do they break? Are they heavy?

Tell me everything you know...please. :wub: This happy face should be moving but it hasn't been lately. :(

I haven't used any yet, but I did spent a goodly amount of time scrutinizing them at a miniature show. They are beautifully detailed, not much heavier than wood, sturdy, take paint well (from the examples I've seen in use), and add a lovely elegance to the setting. When I'm ready to do a period house or roombox, I'll definitely use some.

I have some pieces they are very detailed and light yes, I have a door pediment and some corbells, I have made a couple of molds of them and now can cast as many as I want in plaster, I am afraid I prefer plaster don't know why I just do lol.

Cheers Debra.

I just have a bunch of ceiling accents that came in a grab bag. They appear to be very light, and I like the details on them. Other than that I'm clueless too.

Hi Sue!

I love clueless people! They make me feel right at home!

Thank you for your input!

I have some pieces they are very detailed and light yes, I have a door pediment and some corbells, I have made a couple of molds of them and now can cast as many as I want in plaster, I am afraid I prefer plaster don't know why I just do lol.

Cheers Debra.

I wonder if Hobby Lobby sells molds, and is it easy to make these things? Is plaster heavier?

Cheers Debra.

How did you make your molds? I have seen the mold mixes at hob lob........thinking we might need a tut on this one Debra! :wub:

I have an archway and some wainscotting paneling - and they are lovely.

They say on the instructions that you can heat and bend the wainscotting to the necessary angles needed, but I'd probably opt to use a saw instead.

I have the wainscotting sitting in an unfinished room - but it's lovely.

The archway is great and easy to use - comes with an interior trim piece.

I've used several of the architectural pieces and absolutely love them! They can be bent, cut, painted, stained............just about anything you want to do with them. I can't remember what the original purpose was for a couple of pieces I got, but they made gorgeous gilded picture frames!!

Deb

I'd think twice about making molds of purchased pieces. They're copyrighted. Just because the artisan who made the original probably won't ever see the copy, it's still stealing. And if one were to sell a house that has a bootlegged piece in it ...

Developing your own originals out of polyclay and jewelry findings is a whole different breed of cat. You can duplicate those with a mold as many times as you like.

<stepping off soapbox now>

I'm not sure polyresin and polyurethane resin are the same. Polyresin could mean just about anything. Polyurethane resin is awesome stuff, most garage sci-fi kits are made of it, it's rigid, but soft enough to work with. Polyester resin is trash. Think of Bondo filler jammed into a mold, it's that bad. Polyurethane resin is indeed pliable when heated, polyester resin is like dealing with baked pie crust. MOST mini stuff I've seen is polyester, if you see a seller using a ubiquitous term like polyresin I'd definitely want clarification, polyurethane or polyester. BTW, if your stuff arrives broken into 20 or 30 pieces, as is often the case, it's polyester. Another BTW, polyurethane resin is expensive, polyester is cheap.

Thus endeth the lesson.

I'm not sure polyresin and polyurethane resin are the same. Polyresin could mean just about anything. Polyurethane resin is awesome stuff, most garage sci-fi kits are made of it, it's rigid, but soft enough to work with. Polyester resin is trash. Think of Bondo filler jammed into a mold, it's that bad. Polyurethane resin is indeed pliable when heated, polyester resin is like dealing with baked pie crust. MOST mini stuff I've seen is polyester, if you see a seller using a ubiquitous term like polyresin I'd definitely want clarification, polyurethane or polyester. BTW, if your stuff arrives broken into 20 or 30 pieces, as is often the case, it's polyester. Another BTW, polyurethane resin is expensive, polyester is cheap.

Thus endeth the lesson.

Good information, thank you :o!

Wonder what my moldings and ceiling thingies are made of?

your stuff arrives broken into 20 or 30 pieces, as is often the case, it's polyester.

Yes, I have had ceiling carvings arrriving in "20 or 30" pieces from Unique Minatures items. Now I know why. Thanks for the info.

:o

Thus endeth the lesson.

Thank you for this great information; I wouldn't have know! :o

I'm planning on making a mold of a coat of arms for dressing the turret windows of my scratch-build. My plan is to carve the form out of two pieces of wood, sand the surfaces smooth, apply a thin layer of green wax (so the epoxy will separate from the mold) and use a two-part epoxy. I have way too many other components to work on right now, but I will let you know how it turns out. I used to work with large molds professionally, but that was some time ago and a much larger scale.

I use them all the time and if I have a single component that is no longer available I made them as well. Usually the origional will be ruined by the process but I have made parts for restorations that would be extreamly time consuming (also expensive!) otherwise. And really, with restorations what material the add on pieces are made of does not reduce the value. Once you made a flexible mold from the low budget kits sold on line you can get 10 or so copies if you handle then correctly and keep them clean.

I will let you know how it turns out. I used to work with large molds professionally, but that was some time ago and a much larger scale.

Wow! You are a professional at this stuff! :thumb: Yes, we certainly do want to see how the coat of arms turns out! ;)

I use them all the time and if I have a single component that is no longer available I made them as well. Usually the origional will be ruined by the process but I have made parts for restorations that would be extreamly time consuming (also expensive!) otherwise. And really, with restorations what material the add on pieces are made of does not reduce the value. Once you made a flexible mold from the low budget kits sold on line you can get 10 or so copies if you handle then correctly and keep them clean.

I am getting great information from everyone! Now I have to figure out what I want!

Thank you!