Exterior stonework question

dbev

In my travels around the web searching for inspiration, I have run into many houses made by a Robin Carey with the most amazing exterior stonework.

http://dollhouseminis.blogspot.com/2008/03...obin-carey.html

The only description is that it is made of "a dimensional material that is hand-cut and hand-applied." As a newbie to this craft, I'm not yet very familiar with all of the commercial materials available out there and wonder if this is a well-known material that I'm just not finding anywhere, or if this is a technique that is only known to her.....

If anyone knows (or could guess at) what she's using to acheive this look, I'd really appreciate some advice!!

Thanks!

I had to do a double take when I saw that house because it looks almost identical to my Willowcrest. I'm not sure what Robin Carey used on her Willowcrest exterior, but I used Magic Masonry. It's a simple and easy way to get perfect stonework results every time.

Deb

Since I built mine in '07 and the website for the other house lists it as being made in '08, I'm going to lay claim to the original. But there are some differences. This house doesn't have a porch and the mansard is straight, not curved.

Deb

Those houses could be twins!!!
I think The quoins on Robin Carey's house look like they were made of sandpaper. They also look like she did the overall stonework first and then slapped the quoins on top without regard to how a stonemason would have done the stone cladding AFTER installing the quoins (Deb knows what a bug I get about realism!lol) It's such a gorgeous house, and Robin did SUCH a wonderful job on it, but quoins are tricky little monkeys...

Oh my!!! Another fabulous stone house. What a coincidence!!! You should meet this woman - your soul-sister! It's almost eerie how you both had such a similar vision for this house!! They're so alike but so different at the same time. I just love your porch pillars - seems to give it a more finished look than hers. You have lots of other details, too that distinquish yours. I keep going back for more looks. So, so pretty!!

In fact, this forum is just wonderful overall for inspiration, but a little intimidating too <_< There are so many incredible houses on here - I'm salivating over all of them. I'm sure my paltry efforts won't compare to artistry I'm seeing here, but I think I'll learn a lot from all the craftsmen and women here. What a talented group!

I'll be looking up that other artist too - Meloney. Thanks for the referral.

I'm not yet very familiar with all of the commercial materials available out there and wonder if this is a well-known material that I'm just not finding anywhere, or if this is a technique that is only known to her.....

If anyone knows (or could guess at) what she's using to acheive this look, I'd really appreciate some advice!!

Thanks!

I have a roll of textured wallpaper that looks very similar to those bricks.

post-1012-1229099976_thumb.jpg

As far as I know, Robin sold hers in '06. I am the one blogging about her houses this year, so on my blog the posting date shows up as 2008. But the house was made some years ago.

I'm a big fan of Robin's faux stone exteriors too! :p

As far as I know, Robin sold hers in '06. I am the one blogging about her houses this year, so on my blog the posting date shows up as 2008. But the house was made some years ago.

Thanks for clarifying that Sumaiya. I'd never seen any of Robin's work before this thread came up and when I google her name, your blogs are the only sites that come up. I take it that Robin doesn't have a website, or maybe it's under a different name? It's great that you blog her work for others to see. Her Vineyard Cottage is breathtaking.

Deb