Dollhouse Emporium??

hulahoney3717

Has anyone ever bought a house (or anything for that matter) from the Dollhouse Emporium? They have a few modern dollhouses that I love. However, I am tight on money and it make me nervous buying something that I am not sure about. I am working on the Coventry right now and I am wondering if anyone knows how these houses compair. Any info is appreciated! :p

Thanks

Annie

-keep your fingers crossed that I come across a fortune so that I can get several of these houses! :blink:

Oh, aren't they just lovely? A dollhouse shop owner I recently met said they are a league of their own. To my knowledge they have a good reputation.

When you visited their site, did you notice the masterclasses? You can find them when you click 'help center'.

Maybe that would give you a better idea about what they're like to build. They're MDF, so they're probably quite expensive to ship.

I adore the Lake View, and the Retreat.

I have ordered several items from them and always been pleased with them...never ordered a house but know several people who have purchased one and they rave about the quality....hope this helps....

Elicia

South Carolina

I have drooled over, but never ordered one of their houses (I don't like working with MDF, it's just a preference). However I have ordered accessories & dolls from them. Their service is comparable to HBS!

Overall I had an excellant experience with them. I bought the Grosvenor Hall a couple of years ago. Shipping is VERY expensive, but the house kit arrived in 7 different boxes and the house kit was from England to my house within 48 hours, so i felt that the shipping was reasonable for what I got and the speed in which it arrived. The only negative experience that i had was that i had emailed them a couple of days prior to buying the house to ask them questions....they responded quickly and courteously but didn't tell me that if I was willing to wait 2 weeks, the house would be on sale. So in my ignorance, I purchased the house and went back to the website a couple of weeks later and the house was on sale. I asked for a refund on the difference and they refused. If I had known it would go on sale I would have saved $300.00 (the price of the shipping costs). They sent me a consolation gift since i was not happy, i couldn't use most of the stuff because i think their wallpaper is ugly. So I haven't bought anything else from them as a protest. I do think they have nice stuff, alot of which is overpriced and I do think that overall I had a top experience working with them. I am still unhappy about the $300.00 I could have saved tho. I do recommend them tho to other people because everything else about my experience was perfect....and I just wish i had not gone back to their website to look at the house again...if i had seen that the house was on sale like a month or so later it wouldn't have bothered me so much. i just feel like they withheld information from me which could have save me a LOT of money and that is what bothers me.

Anyway, the grosvenor is MDF and is really almost too heavy to move by yourself. I have to move it again today!!!! i'm repainting my family room.

Thanks for all of the info! I will save my pennies and keep my eyes open for the free shipping sale!

Annie

As far as I know, there isn't actually a "free shipping sale" but i would watch prices on items to see if they go on sale, it would probably save you the cost (or close to the cost) of shipping. :banana: I know that in the case of my grosvenor, the sale price that showed up a couple of weeks after i bought mine, would have been equivalent to the cost i paid for shipping. I bought the Grosvenor and a grosvenor basement.

What do you plan on buying? They have lovely houses. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There

I have two houses from DHE one in my album the mill cottage is made of resin and came completely decorated inside and out and with lights installed it cost my partner quite a lot but is a collectors item with a plate on the side. I love this cottage but just recently discovered one of the wall lights have stopped working and due to the fact the wiring is all enclosed under the resin this makes for a problem, If it was a bulb there would be no problem but the problem is not the bulb so now what!!

I also have the mimosa cottage quick style its not complete yet but i will add some pictures of it to my album soon.

Overall im not exstatic about their products which are all made from mdf and is why i looked else where and discovered the greenleaf/corona houses. I enjoy these as the houses are prettier to look at but as im in the UK the problem is locating a supplier for these. the shipping is crazy for these also although not as high as the DHE to ship to the U.S

I wouldnt recommend DHE To be honest i think they charge way too much for items which can be bought for a fraction of the cost else where. But this is just my opinion others may be a lot happier with them.

hope this helps

hugs Rachel :thumb:

I bought a bunch of inexpensive minis in a huge bunch from DHE when they offered free shipping over US$60, but not since, and never one of their dhs, since I truly dislike working with MDF vs wood, and if MDF were all that was available I guess I'd have to scratch build.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I built DHE's Springwood Cottage. It was my first ever venture into dolls houses and the kit fitted together perfectly. Subsequent kits by The Dolls House Workshop and Barbaras Mouldings needed a bit of ... persuasion!

All these companies only make kits in MDF which is very heavy to work with and I find that "kit-bashing" is nigh impossible. The result is a house that looks pretty much like everyone elses.

Not like the Greenleaf kits - I think these houses are so distinct and allow miniaturists to create very individual styles. I could (and do!) spend hours looking thro' the galleries - maybe less time online and more time working on the houses might finally get some finished...lol

For info ~ DHE change their offers at the start of every month. Kits are sometimes reduced or combined with either a separate basement or a lighting set. I personally find their pricing to be quite confusing and if I'm honest I don't think I would buy another of their houses.

I think you're so lucky to be able to buy the full range of Greenleaf houses in the US. I only know of one retailer in the UK who sells them and the shipping costs from the US make them prohibitively expensive to me. If anyone in the UK knows of another retailer (other than Hobby UK) would you let me know?

Hi There

Im thinking the same way about DHE i wouldnt buy another of their kits, i found them way to boring and as you say very samey.

I get my greenleaf/corona kits from hobbys too but they have them at julie anns the link is below although they are the same as hobbys sell. :p

http://www.julie-anns-dolls-houses.co.uk/g...houses-77-c.asp

Y'all may also want to check into buying direct from the Greenleaf store, I'm not sure if the shipping won't eat you alive, though. It's godawful expensive to ship things from the US to Europe!

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I've just purchased the Malibu Beach house from Dollhouse Emporium. Though I haven't yet received it, I understand that it's very heavy and would be very hard to "bash," but I don't care as I was looking for a specific art deco/nouveau kind of house and it's the best I've seen. I did a little research and people really seem to like these kits as they are sturdy, easy to work with and very good quality. I've also found the company really friendly and polite with all my questions and concerns. I'm excited to start mine and will post photos in my gallery when I get it going.

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my Malibu Beach House from DHE. The house is just beautiful - or its pieces are! Really nicely milled and cleaned, perfectly packed and their customer service was friendly, shipping was super fast...In a nutshell, I highly recommend them!