My new Motto for Christmas

heidiiiii

Someone mentioned this on another site and I had to share. You have probably heard of it before but I have not.

When it comes to Christmas presents you should follow this rule in giving:

You give something they want, something they need, something to wear, and something to read. Four gifts!

FOUR gifts??? I don't think so!! Actually, for years now...since 9/11/2001...we've not given gifts to anyone, not even each other. Instead we've written a check to two different charities, and told our friends/family about it. We are all better off than many others, have all the "stuff" we really want/need/wear. and none of our circle really is "in need"...

I suppose our holiday letter where we talk about our charitable giving is something to read. Does that count?

Have a good holiday. Don't wear yourself out trying to buy 4 gifts for everyone!! Yikes!

For young people near and dear to us the general rule has been three gifts: something to read, something to wear, and something to play with. None need be expensive.

The want and need stuff doesn't figure into the mix unless it just happens to fit one of the above categories. If they need it, it shouldn't be a present. And if they want it, they need to figure out how to earn it themselves.

My DH and I don't exchange gifts or cards for any occasion. Our first couple years of marriage we did but then decided we would rather just pick a time to spend a day or an evening together instead. That's worked for 40 years now.

We like to use any $$'s we might have to be Secret Santas for those in need of food or heat or clothes for winter. We donate through our local church outreach or directly to those we have heard about.

Centuries ago, when our kids were young, we had VERY slim pickings most all the time. We never had four gifts for anyone. We had stockings and maybe one or two items under the tree - mostly homemade. We always did secret santas between us for the month of December, drawing a different name each week to do secret things for that person. It was secret things like making someone's bed or doing their chores or writing a note or making a drawing, etc.

One year, when it was really impossible to do anything, all of us (kids included) used the Sears and Wards catalogs to cut out what we would like/wish to give each member and then we put those under the tree to exchange on Christmas. It was quite different but the kids (all in their 30's now) still talk about that year being very special.

I guess I'm showing my age by all these admissions because kids today would probably never understand or go along with these old fashioned ways. Oh well, we were happy even though we didn't have material things.

I guess I'm showing my age by all these admissions because kids today would probably never understand or go along with these old fashioned ways. Oh well, we were happy even though we didn't have material things.

Amen!

My DS is determined that we not buy for him this year. He knows things have been a little tight for us. I am just as determined to get him something. I plan on sending him a food box after he gets back from his visit home. I cannot stand the thought of him constantly eating ramen noodles. We won't have many things under the tree this year, but that is fine. I get to see my son and my sisters so that is all I need.

I am like Ann. We used to buy tons of gifts - aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, strangers.

Now we don't buy for anyone. I let the kids buy what they want. Some years it is what they need and can't afford (like a furnace) and other years it is a want. I just hand over the credit card. They are good and don't go out and buy a car or something. So much easier. No malls for me.

Everything I am giving out this year is homemade. The children are getting knitted scarves. The adults are getting crocheted pot holders and homemade magnets. I have been crafting since July ( lol ). This is just the few people I am giving gifts to. I think this way they will know I care and i'm broke. ( lol). The only person I am buying for is my mother. I haven't decided yet. Does anyone have any ideas for a sixty seven year old lady that still works at a factory full time with two un gratefull brats for children ( lol ) ?

As an almost 67-year-old lady who retired, why not give her a monthly housekeeping service? Or make her a coupon booklet of monthly gifts her two ungrateful brats can give to show their appreciation, like dinner out or a show or a shopping trip?